GregLaR

Tupelo Museum Closing, Selling Off Cars

I'm with you there, AHa. Yeah, and even if my friends and I could never get the old thing to run. Just to sit surrounded in it and enjoy the smell of it................ And it is far from the ugliest D'berg. I got to see Father Divine's grotesque "rolling throne" once in 'Vegas in that Duesenberg collection in the 'Palace. Great gathering in that bar room !!

And I agree 100% with you, Dave, about the Nash. Matching dog ? No THAT wouldn't be MY thing, but that color could well match the hair on the "girls" I enjoy harmlessly flirting with these days 😍!!    Over the hill and well past my prime,  -  Cadillac Carl 

• Like 2

Dave.....the Duesenberg in the magazine was the original colors, as ordered by Gary Cooper. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AHa said:

I'd like to tap into this wealth of Duesy knowledge/history. My great uncle was a chauffeur for a man named Fownes from Pennsylvania. This man had a house in Pinehurst and wintered there. He was a big golf nut and designed a course in Pennsylvania. He had two Duesenburgs, in one he installed a speedometer in the back seat compartment so he could monitor my uncle's speed. I've always wanted to track down the cars my uncle drove but the Museum has no knowledge of a Fownes owning a Duesenburg. The golf course/club still exists in Pennsylvania and all the family pictures belong to the club but I haven't been successful at getting anyone to do any research. Do any of you guys know of a Duesy owned by a Mr Fownes of Pennsylvania?

As for me, I'd take the car just as it is, just to own a Duesy.

Googling around suggests it was Henry C. Fownes, profiled here: 

http://www.usga.org/articles/2010/05/fownesthe-oakmont-architect-2147486616.html  

There's a discussion of Fownes and his Duesenberg in the article excerpted below.  Maybe contact the author of that article and ask for the source of the Duesenberg story about Fownes?  The author might be able to put you in touch with someone who knows about the cars and what happened to them.

https://issuu.com/pinehurstlivingmagazine/docs/may-june_web_pdf_reduced_size

212175417_ScreenShot2018-12-30at2_11_13AM.thumb.png.b4030eeb6592959d7c2f3c61a6da0058.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

35 Packard,

there was a family in PA that owned 2 Dueseys. They chopped the backs off in order to haul pigs on their farm. Wonder if there is any connection? That took place in the 50s I believe...........

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

The fast car......some of the records stood for thirty years............this one in 1934 averaged 128 mph for 24 hours making 235 hp. This is the car that made Bonnevill Salt Flats what it is today. Pierce Arrow was the grand daddy of all the fast cars......

DDFB39F8-4B3D-4919-A525-4130496962F8.png

I have only touched a few Pierce Arrows and as nothing too complicated was needed, I really did not have my hands on them like I have had many other cars, though every single person I know who has had or worked on one tells me they are incredibly well built cars and a joy to own/work on.  

As to the Cord discussion it is a very different beast than a Pierce Arrow, Cadillac, Packard, or pretty much anything else CCCA of the same time period.  The Cord benefit is that they are decent horsepower matched to being fairly light weight, compact (unless a Custom Beverly), and ...  Like the Auburn, I can walk around with a rear fender in a one hand and yep it is pretty light weight and could be easily debated as to if "cheap", "engineered" , or a combo of each.   Unfortunately, any way about it the Cord is also "gadgetry" (matched to several other issues) and were a challenge to work on as a new car and still is a challenge today.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I guess my comment on how nicely the Cord drove was miscon-screwed, or I worded it incorrectly.

I was not stating that the Cord was the BEST 30's car made.  I was stating that, if you ever get a chance to drive a properly restored one (which is a very small percentage of them in my opinion), you will be amazed at ease of steering and performance, and what a nice ride it gives.

No argument they are the odd duck, mechanically.

I once was discussing having a well known Cord guy rework my transmission controls.  He asked me if I planned to drive it at all, and I told him yes.  Then, he said, you need to work on it yourself and understand what's going on.  If you have trouble on the road, NOBODY is going to know how to help you but yourself!   Guess the exception would be an ACD tour.

To Ed's point, there are better "platforms" in 30's cars,.  But, I still stand by my statement that this particular Cord(not mine!) was a GREAT driving car....my unrestored Cord is a dog to drive, comparatively.....

I drove a Cord for the first time this summer.  I think they're one of the most beautiful cars ever built, and I've loved them since I was 10 years old.  But it seemed fitting for their tricky reputation that we had to cut the drive short because the transmission became stuck in reverse when i tried to turn the car around.  Maybe someday, but not that particular car.  ;)

2 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I drove a Cord for the first time this summer.  I think they're one of the most beautiful cars ever built, and I've loved them since I was 10 years old.  But it seemed fitting for their tricky reputation that we had to cut the drive short because the transmission became stuck in reverse when i tried to turn the car around.  Maybe someday, but not that particular car.  ;)

1934- I know someone who can fix it! Better yet, buy one that’s already done and sorted.....where have I heard that before?

Sounds like getting into a situation where you needed to use reverse was your mistake.

AH, pink, pink, pink.

Many years ago I pasted a junk shop and there was a pink barbie doll fiberglass Corvette electric car just right for a little girl to drive around her driveway.

I almost bought it for $50.00, BUT, PINK?

My manley instinct would not let me do it.

Now you would never guess what they are selling for now!

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

18 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Sounds like getting into a situation where you needed to use reverse was your mistake.

The World should be a progressive place - always be forward thinking !