Renault R 16 wanted

I have seen this car on craigs list for some time. I wish it was a manual. My first car was a new 1971 R16 in Texas sand yellow with manual and electric sunroof and it is still the most fantastic car I ever owned. The automatic is electrical and very complicated so if it went bad I think it might be impossible to fix! 

2 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:
its going to be a bit difficult to find what you are looking for in america, i wish you good luck with your search ;) 

Bonjour Sebastien, Yes I know they are very few in the states. Many other models and even 2CV's are very plentiful here. I has two 71 R16's . One I bought new and it was my first car and after only two years and 66,000 miles! I flipped it end over end on a wet day to avoid a dog in the road. Missed the dog but landed upside down but perfectly fine! I sold the wreck and bought a used R16 but it was a lemon with a bad motor and after lots of money to fix I bought a Toyota which was very good but I never got over how much I loved the Renault so many years and cars ago. Now I see they are very desirable and expensive! I did find a 1969 model that I can buy about 400 miles from me and it is in good shape and not to expensive so I am hoping to bring it home soon if a deal can be made. This is a car you fall in love with in a short time and never forget. It will share the garage with my 1941 Buick Century Sedanette. I think they will look good together!  Regardez Lawrence

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I almost bought this car which is still for sale but the mileage is over 150K with no service records to look at. A potential money pit if it is ready for CV joints and a clutch. I almost bought it as I cannot find anything for sale in the USA. So many of these in France of course and later models like the TS with more power

1 hour ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

I almost bought this car which is still for sale but the mileage is over 150K with no service records to look at. A potential money pit if it is ready for CV joints and a clutch. I almost bought it as I cannot find anything for sale in the USA. So many of these in France of course and later models like the TS with more power

This is not luck, after if you want I can inquire to send you parts of renault 16 if you want. Indeed in France we find and there is the model TS which is more powerful ;) 
If you buy the one you saw, do not hesitate to ask me to send you some parts ;) 

Bonjour Sebastien, Thank you for your offer of help! Indeed there are not many parts for R16 here. It is such a rare car because they did not import them for very long or did they supply many parts to the dealers. In 1971 when I bought my R16 even then I had to wait for parts to come from France. We have so many vintage 4CV and Daufine and Caravelle R12R17 R8 and 10 but very few R16. I also think owners of these cars want to keep them forever and I am not surprised they have become so cherished now. Even by modern standards it is still a wonderful car able to do almost anything well. Amazing engineering and that special French  Je ne sais quoi ! 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...