Sign in to follow this  
franc944

I recently bought a gray on gray in LI.

Recommended Posts

franc944

Congrats on the new purchase. i looked that car over when it was at our Long Island Chapter show.

glad to see it end up in a collectors stable. i know it needed some work but i was really impressed with the undercarriage and how tight the car felt when i drove it.

feel free to PM me 

Good Luck with it i think you got a real good buy

check out our website libuickclub.org under events / other club outings from Nov there is a shot of the car

maybe you could make it down to one of our shows on the island or ill see you sometime up north.

Marty

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MRJBUICK said:

My upholstery guy is coming to stitch the window tomorrow.  

I’ll post pics of how the back window repair comes out 

4 minutes ago, MRJBUICK said:

 

 

Franc944

Congrats on the new purchase. i looked that car over when it was at our Long Island Chapter show.

glad to see it end up in a collectors stable. i know it needed some work but i was really impressed with the undercarriage and how tight the car felt when i drove it.

feel free to PM me 

Good Luck with it i think you got a real good buy

check out our website libuickclub.org under events / other club outings from Nov there is a shot of the car

maybe you could make it down to one of our shows on the island or ill see you sometime up north.

Marty

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You two Long Islanders want to meet up sometime? I’m in westchester by white plains. I saw the grey vert on Craigslist and it looked good. The ss60 restoration is very nice to see. Not too many people seem to be restoring these cars yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin M said:

You two Long Islanders want to meet up sometime? I’m in westchester by white plains. I saw the grey vert on Craigslist and it looked good. The ss60 restoration is very nice to see. Not too many people seem to be restoring these cars yet. 

I’m a Connectican 🤘

 

That Select 60 paint is supposed to be done by Xmas

 

My upholstery guy is hard at work HAND  stitching the Gray Vert back window!  Also not quite done yet.  

 

So so essentially I am restoring two reatta verts at the same time

AB728AAF-C167-42A4-9CFD-EBFB88AC2BB9.jpeg

20A8F688-BB2C-4231-81DF-30BB6A4814E2.jpeg

Edited by franc944 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s great. My mistake for thinking Long Island. The grey looks good so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure if I should start another thread for my gray on gray.  We don’t want it stealing any thunder from the Select 60

AEB450D9-1378-4B72-8AAD-5DBEE15AF18D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

franc944,

I started this new topic for your gray vert. If you want the title of the thread changed to something else please let me know.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are posting the stories and progress of your two cars.

For the benefit of other newer Reatta owners,   sometimes the color of the car gets misrepresented.......

One of the most often confused color is grey.......from the beginning in 1988 grey was available....in '88 and '89 it was called Pewter grey and the paint code was 87.

In '90 and '91 it was slightly lighter and called Gunmetal Gray Metallic and the paint code was 85.

Also from the beginning Steriling Silver Metallic (-paint code 13) was available for all 4 years.

This is were the confusion happens.......some owners that have only seen a few Reatta, and have a grey/silver car may call them grey or silver when in fact they may actually have the other color.

The big difference is in the number made....every year there were many more Silver cars than Gray ones.   So it would be more common to find a Silver Reatta.

Here is the ratio of Silver/Gray Reattas for each year 1988= 418/116, 1989 = 549/359, 1990 = 641/448, 1991 = 89/52

The simple way to verify your color,  and to get the correct color of touch up paint is to look at the Service Parts label in the trunk,  except for very early 1988 cars which had this label on the underside of the deck lid,  all the other Reattas

had the Service Parts label in the trunk, next to the spare tire ( you must raise the insulation on the right side of the spare to find it)

I have attached a picture of a typical Service Parts label..........this label gives you the DNA of your car.   It will tell you if it had 16 way seats,  CD player, even the color of the pinstripe.   A complete listing is on Ronnie's "Reattaowners" site.

Most labels will have 4-5 lines and near the end you will find the color codes ..... the exterior color will end with a "U" then the color.   So Gray would be 87U on a '88-89  or  85U on a 90-91......all year silver cars will be 13U

 

The sample picture attached I used because it is nice and clear......it happens to be a 1991 white (40U) convertible.......at the very bottom are some other numbers of importance, in this case U8554 is the paint code if you are buying

paint at a paint store, I think that is the PPG paint code,  the 40U is GM's paint code.

 

I suggest you take a picture of the label and keep it with your Reatta records.......it makes good reference material if you need to verify something on your car.

MB900376.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Glad you are posting the stories and progress of your two cars.

For the benefit of other newer Reatta owners,   sometimes the color of the car gets misrepresented.......

One of the most often confused color is grey.......from the beginning in 1988 grey was available....in '88 and '89 it was called Pewter grey and the paint code was 87.

In '90 and '91 it was slightly lighter and called Gunmetal Gray Metallic and the paint code was 85.

Also from the beginning Steriling Silver Metallic (-paint code 13) was available for all 4 years.

This is were the confusion happens.......some owners that have only seen a few Reatta, and have a grey/silver car may call them grey or silver when in fact they may actually have the other color.

The big difference is in the number made....every year there were many more Silver cars than Gray ones.   So it would be more common to find a Silver Reatta.

Here is the ratio of Silver/Gray Reattas for each year 1988= 418/116, 1989 = 549/359, 1990 = 641/448, 1991 = 89/52

The simple way to verify your color,  and to get the correct color of touch up paint is to look at the Service Parts label in the trunk,  except for very early 1988 cars which had this label on the underside of the deck lid,  all the other Reattas

had the Service Parts label in the trunk, next to the spare tire ( you must raise the insulation on the right side of the spare to find it)

I have attached a picture of a typical Service Parts label..........this label gives you the DNA of your car.   It will tell you if it had 16 way seats,  CD player, even the color of the pinstripe.   A complete listing is on Ronnie's "Reattaowners" site.

Most labels will have 4-5 lines and near the end you will find the color codes ..... the exterior color will end with a "U" then the color.   So Gray would be 87U on a '88-89  or  85U on a 90-91......all year silver cars will be 13U

 

The sample picture attached I used because it is nice and clear......it happens to be a 1991 white (40U) convertible.......at the very bottom are some other numbers of importance, in this case U8554 is the paint code if you are buying

paint at a paint store, I think that is the PPG paint code,  the 40U is GM's paint code.

 

I suggest you take a picture of the label and keep it with your Reatta records.......it makes good reference material if you need to verify something on your car.

MB900376.JPG

So what is your professional opinion on the color of my car without me looking it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say silver too. Here’s a pic of the grey  and silver from the catalog. 

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Please.........is it grey or silver?

It is Silver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who sells the $50 rebuilt Reatta power antennas with trade in?

 

Is that still available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I repair/rebuild antenna.........I prefer to do yours,  that way you get back what you had.   This is more important to people with original cars.

I will sell you a rebuilt antenna outright,  but if you are going to send me your bad one for credit....I might as well repair it....,  I can turn it around in a couple of days.

The repair charge is $60,  they are completely disassembled, cleaned,  inspected, mast straightened, a steel cable that is plastic coated replaces the original plastic cord that is probably broken.

they are lubed, assembled and tested.......return shipping is $15

If I have one available (for Reatta, or whatever vehicle) the outright sale price is $150 plus $15 shipping.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

I repair/rebuild antenna.........I prefer to do yours,  that way you get back what you had.   This is more important to people with original cars.

I will sell you a rebuilt antenna outright,  but if you are going to send me your bad one for credit....I might as well repair it....,  I can turn it around in a couple of days.

The repair charge is $60,  they are completely disassembled, cleaned,  inspected, mast straightened, a steel cable that is plastic coated replaces the original plastic cord that is probably broken.

they are lubed, assembled and tested.......return shipping is $15

If I have one available (for Reatta, or whatever vehicle) the outright sale price is $150 plus $15 shipping.

 

 

I sent you a PM Barney.  

 

Give me info on where to ship my antenna to be rebuilt please.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this