Rockers & Valves 1918 4-Cylinder

ADade

Need some (additional) advice on the valves on my 1918 4-Cyl:

1.  On the rocker arms there are two oil holes.  The one on the rod end (red arrows) the oil holes have felt inserts that we should be able to remove and replace with new, clean felt, right?

2.  On the axle portion of the rocker there appears to be a cap (blue arrow) that retains what we suspect is another felt oil pad.  Should we attempt to remove the cap to replace that pad as well?  Suggested procedure for such a move without damaging the cap?

3.  Valves.  This car was restored in the 1950's and the valves we removed from it appear to match Chevrolet small block valves.  Does anybody have the exact specs for the OEM valve?  Exhaust and intake seem to be identical.  I'm willing to have valves made if there's a reason we can't use the Chevy valves, but I don't have specs for the OEM valves.  I discussed this with Terry Wiegand -- he has a drawing of the 6-cyl valve, but they're not the same.  Would appreciate opinions or assistance.

Rockers.jpg

Edited by ADade (see edit history)

Sorry - 1918 Buick E4-34

One other thing that has us scratching our heads - the diameter of my shafts on the rocker arm supports are 437 thousands.  We broke one of the supports and I got one replacement from Dean Tryon and another from Larry Schramm -- both have shafts of 420 diameter, so the rockers don't fit.  Larry helped me get mine welded, so I can easily use that, but I'm mystified at the differences.  Could this have been a mid-production run change?

Edited by ADade (see edit history)

8 hours ago, ADade said:

Sorry - 1918 Buick E4-34

One other thing that has us scratching our heads - the diameter of my shafts on the rocker arm supports are 437 thousands.  We broke one of the supports and I got one replacement from Dean Tryon and another from Larry Schramm -- both have shafts of 420 diameter, so the rockers don't fit.  Larry helped me get mine welded, so I can easily use that, but I'm mystified at the differences.  Could this have been a mid-production run change?

I know nothing about 1918 Buick engines but I would suggest that sometime in the engine's past (possibly when work was done in the 1950's) the rockers and shaft were worn so the shaft was replaced with a larger one and the rockers and pillar blocks (supports) were reamed to suit. 

• Like 1

On a slightly different topic -- does anybody have an OEM valve from a 1918 Buick 4-cyl they'd be willing to loan me (I'll return)?

We're contemplating using Chevy small block valves in this rebuild, and they appear to match the valves that came out of my engine, but I'm 99% sure the valves we took out are not OEM, and we're just trying to identify the difference between the OEM and Chevy valves.