Valuation of antique cars

Keileen

Hello!  I have been tasked with selling some assets for one of my clients. Among the assets are 3 antique cars.

1929 Buick - fully restored, runs and drives, have title

1925 Studebaker - fully restored, runs and drives, no title - built from the ground up - I do not have any knowledge as to whether all the parts are the same model or if parts were taken from other models. I do have access to tons of pictures that "prove" that it was a restoration project. The owner called this model a "EQ J Duplex Sport Roadster" - not sure how accurate that is as it was built from the ground up.

1927 Velie - this is a half completed project. 

Any help or guidance to someone that could help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Keileen

Studebaker rear.JPG

Studebaker side.JPG

Buick side.JPG

buick rear.JPG

Buick left side.JPG

Buick right side.JPG

Studebaker front.JPG

Velie Left side.JPG

Velie Front.JPG

Velie Right side.JPG

Edited by Keileen
more info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Velie is an uncommon car.  That doesn't make it valuable,

but it means there are not too many followers for it.  However,

there is a man in the midwest who specializes in Velies, and he

could give you a good idea of its value.  (If you send me a

Private Message, I could give you his phone number.)

The Buick is modified;  it therefore cannot be said to be

restored.  For example, the wheels are totally incorrect for

that car.  That may make it much harder to sell, but there are

people who like modified cars.  Since we don't know what

else may have been done unauthentically, we would need to

know what else has been modified--such as engine,

transmission, suspension--in order to give you an idea of value.

Others can give more information on the Studebaker.

All the best to you on your sale!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

keiser31,

Not worried about you raining on my parade - just trying to get help on valuations. I know nothing about the cars personally, just what I was told by my client. Her father owns them, and he restored them. I have no idea how authentic they are, and so I am grateful that you pointed that information out to me. That is helpful. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Velie is an uncommon car.  That doesn't make it valuable,

but it means there are not too many followers for it.  However,

there is a man in the midwest who specializes in Velies, and he

could give you a good idea of its value.  (If you send me a

Private Message, I could give you his phone number.)

The Buick is modified;  it therefore cannot be said to be

restored.  For example, the wheels are totally incorrect for

that car.  That may make it much harder to sell, but there are

people who like modified cars.  Since we don't know what

else may have been done unauthentically, we would need to

know what else has been modified--such as engine,

transmission, suspension--in order to give you an idea of value.

Others can give more information on the Studebaker.

All the best to you on your sale!

Thanks for the info. I sent you a PM for the gentleman's number.

Thanks for the info on the Buick. I know nothing about "restored" cars, and I hadn't thought about whether it was authentic or not. Good information.

Hi Killeen, and welcome to AACA forums. You will get some very good advice here. As to the Buick, although it may be heresy in this camp, a well done "restomod" of this fairly common car MAY be worth considerably more than an original, or CORRECT restoration. Some of these cars with modern mechanicals, air conditioning, automatic transmissions, interior amenities, etc., have substantial money and know how invested in them. Could you please provide us with pictures of the engine, interior, instruments and controls in order to refine what your client has. This may well be a candidate for posting on another specific site to which we can refer you. Don't worry, we will enjoy helping you, but this being the holiday season, we could be collectively a bit slow off the mark. In fact, I need to run right now.      Merry Christmas to you and yours, friend !     -    Carl 

• Like 2

Carl,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely get more pictures. It is always interesting to hear both sides - the "purists" and the "modernists". I'm not sure if those are real terms, and I hope I didn't get into hot water with anyone - I have no idea about any of this - a true newly to the scene.

I will forward pics to you after I take them. The car is about an hour from me, so it may be a few days or week before I get back to you.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Keileen

Of course ebay really only works if done correctly and you are really trying to sell them.  Timing is important as well as the write up and photos.  A high reserve will generate few bids usually.  A low reserve once it has been met or none with a low (read deal)  starting bid,  will help to feed a bidding frenzy.   Extra cross promotion helps.  Sometimes these older cars especially if fairly original and correct tend to do better in Hemmings Motor News. 

• Like 1

The Studebaker is my kind of car, wish it was in my garage! I could do the research, but it would be more effective to move that car to the Studebaker section of this forum. One or two of my friends might even know the car.

The Velie is a true rarity, a Classic for sure, with a little work maybe museum quality. As indicated may not translate to exceptionally valuable, hard to say when there is no frame of reference. As an aside my lady friend's 96 yo mother, learned to drive on one of these, when she was twelve years old. The family also owned a 1925 Big Six Studebaker touring, which she drove when thy lived in Seattle, for a short time during the Depression. That must have been fun on the Seattle hills! She's still a pretty good driver today, and she puts over 10K miles a year on her car. 

Where are you/cars located?

Bonnor County Idaho as post above?

Location can effect how easy to sell. Or do you just want a valuation?

The car without a title makes its harder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velie

http://p10.hostingprod.com/@veliepartsboard.com/veliereg/velieregister.html

http://veliepartsboard.com.p10.hostingprod.com/veliereg/1927page-3.html

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

1927 Velie "60" Royal Sedan  No idea on this car, it is extremally rare, when you only find one picture on the internet it is rare. My guess is 12K
The 29 Buick Restomod all depends on how nice it is done, looks nice, ebay has lots like it for sale.  My guess is 28K
The Studebaker might be the easiest to value, I would check the Hagerty values, if you call them they will give you the most recent values.  My guess is 18K
Good luck

Image result for 1927 velie

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, C Carl said:

Some of these cars with modern mechanicals, air conditioning, automatic transmissions, interior amenities, etc., have substantial money and know how invested in them.

Although I basically agree with Cadillac Carl, the value depends a lot on the quality of the modifications.  If the car was modified by a reputable shop it will have much greater value than most "Home built" Resto-Mods.

• Like 1

Keileen,

the buick and studebaker are relatively common makes and you can easily search recent pricing sales on the internet. 

As to the modern tires and possibly drivetrain, you might find as many buyers out there for hot-Rodded antiques as you find for purist cars. I know my 1927 chevys would be worth more or even double with a big block V8 dropped into them, rather than as originals. Just different groups of enthusiasts.

the Velie is a wonderful car, even as an undone project. I run into pricing challenges all the time buying Kissel Kars which are also rare. Rare cars have even rarer numbers of buyers. But there are a surprising number of folks out there who want to buy rare full classics. I would think you could advertise that Velie in the CCCA magazine and this AACA website for 15,000 or 18,000 as is, and you might snag a buyer quickly quickly. It is a true CCCA classic and a really pretty Model.

my thoughts. God luck. 

Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ron hausmann said:

the Velie is a wonderful car, even as an undone project. I run into pricing challenges all the time buying Kissel Kars which are also rare. Rare cars have even rarer numbers of buyers. But there are a surprising number of folks out there who want to buy rare full classics. I would think you could advertise that Velie in the CCCA magazine and this AACA website for 15,000 or 18,000 as is, and you might snag a buyer quickly quickly. It is a true CCCA classic and a really pretty Model.

This is great advice and I agree with Ron completely.  That Velie is very cool and the full Classic thing still means something.    But,  if somebody comes along with a real offer under but close to the 15k my advice is to take it.

It is hard to see in the photo however it looks like there is little or no interior upholstery in the Velie.  It would be extremely difficult and expensive to re-create the upholstery from scratch. Hopefully the original fabric is still there somewhere to serve as a pattern.

Greg in Canada

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

The no title will make the Studebaker more difficult to sell. It would make sense to me that the family or their attorney apply for a title or claim "lost title" and get a new one. It will make the car more saleable and the actual sale of it far less complicated to the seller and buyer. 

If the cars are in Idaho, there are steps you can go through to get a title. It would be very easy for the owner to get one . The State will put a tag on it, and give you a branded title. The brand will go away after three years.  http://www.usri.org/Legislation/ID_titling.htm

Is the owner anxious to sell, or just checking for value? My advice is for the owner to wait until spring, or in the case of Idaho panhandle May. Then people can get out and check out the cars. My lady is in Coeur D' Alene  and claims that there is no snow right know, but we know that conditions might change tomorrow. IMO bad time to sell a car, especially where they are located.

That is what I thought.  Sell in the spring or summer, right?   But our resident sales guy on the forum Matt said otherwise, and that winter is a great time to sell.  Things are actually slower in the summer as people are preoccupied with summer actives.  In the winter they are bored.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2018 at 8:19 AM, George Smolinski said:

The no title will make the Studebaker more difficult to sell. It would make sense to me that the family or their attorney apply for a title or claim "lost title" and get a new one. It will make the car more saleable and the actual sale of it far less complicated to the seller and buyer. 

Absolutely!  I would never touch a car with no title - never ever.  When I joined AACA in 1962 there was an elderly gentleman in Baltimore (Chesapeake Region) who had several Velie touring cars.  They were truly amateur restorations, but there they were, in person. Remember it well.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

I was shopping C/L the other day via email.

The seller was being very elusive about the title on the rig I was interested in. (well, the vin decodes as that year)

Long story short, he accused me of being some kind of C/L cop that goes around citing sellers that cant prove what they own.

The ad says desperate as the land is sold, but this guy is wanting to retire off of a field full of no title vehicles. And is in a hurry. 

Typical C/L D-bag.

Have learned not to consider a car without a title, last time it took me a year to get one - and I could find the previous title holder.

Will consider a branded (rebuilt) title only if very very cheap and something I want.

That said I will not consider a car that the seller refuses to divulge the VIN (Florida has a VIN web site).