Starter engaging while engine is on

B.Liesberg

On my 39 Century, the starter solenoid is engaging while the engine is on and grinding on the starter ring gear. I'm going to check the wiring later to-day to see if it's bad somewhere, but I wanted to ask to see if this is a common problem caused by something else before I go crawling around under the dash.

4 hours ago, B.Liesberg said:

On my 39 Century, the starter solenoid is engaging while the engine is on and grinding on the starter ring gear. I'm going to check the wiring later to-day to see if it's bad somewhere, but I wanted to ask to see if this is a common problem caused by something else before I go crawling around under the dash.

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual. All of it section by section. The pdf link does not work.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942-41

There is information on that common fault in the 1942 shop manual.

Does the car start by flooring the accelerator? The carb should have a starting solenoid vacuum switch that goes to the starter. Unless it has been replaced by a manual switch (not uncommon).

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

22 hours ago, B.Liesberg said:

There is a button under the dash to start the car.

The button sends juice to the vacuum switch on the carb, which is closed when the engine is off and your foot is on the gas pedal, and because the switch is closed the juice goes from there to the solenoid. Once the engine starts, vacuum from the carb opens the vacuum switch so the starter solenoid doesn't get any juice. Look around the carb or for a weird thing that you can't figure out what it is, that has wires on it. That's the vacuum starter switch.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/13 Electrical System/image11.html

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/13 Electrical System/image12.html

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

I don't really have any issues with not having this part, if anything it seems superfluous. I just wanted to check and see if there were any known problems with the solenoid before I get too deep into it. I'll try and diagnose some wiring problems and see if I have an issue somewhere.

Assuming the 1939 is similar to 1937 and 1938, there are two different controls to prevent the starter from engaging when the engine is running. One is electrical and one is vaccum. If the vaccum system has been bypassed, the electrical one is your only way to prevent that from happening. How is your generator output? If the generator output is too low, it might be what is causing the starter to engage when it should not. 

Here's a thread started in 2010.  The discussion describes how to install a momentary switch under the dash to eliminate these issues with the vacuum start switch and/or a defective voltage regulator....   maybe worth the read:

Glad he found the problem.  Since his carburetor start switch has been removed and replaced by a push button switch the starter could not activate even with engine at low rpm or low output voltage of the generator.   The driver would have to push the starter button to activate the starter under any conditions.  I am not surprised that he found faulty wiring as the cause.  

Joe

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New to these type starters, just bought a 39 series 40 and I have gas pedal starter system and a button. Both work and not trying to engage like OP had but I hate the whinning noise it makes after car has started. Is this normal and is it possible to mod it to modern starter cylinoid type with key start like late models. Thanks

If you have any odd noise after starting, something is wrong. It sounds like the starter drive is sticking and not retracting when the engine starts. I would suggest you try cleaning or replacing the starter drive from your description of the noise. It is also possible you have a wiring problem causing it not to retract. Do you have a factory service manual for your car? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

BTW,   If you have a starter turn on while the engine is running, you are flirting with big $ repairs.    My 248 started that and it went quickly to a point where the starter would not engage the ring gear.    First, finding a new ring gear  is tough.   I found one in Wisc.  $300 big ones.   That gear fits only 34 to 38 flywheels.   The 1939 and newer ring gears won’t work and those are readily available.   This repair requires you to pull the pan, remove the rear main to gain access to the head of the flywheel bolts.   Your SM will guide you.   I ended up doing almost a major overhaul as I checked the conditions inside the engine.   You have to move the rear back enough to pull the trans.  and then clutch and finally the flywheel.   Fix this NOW or you will pay the piper later.   Removing the automatic vacuum starting circuit is the best way.  Disconnect the grounding circuit that goes to the regulator.   Look at your wiring diagram for the wiring diagram.    Add a start button under the dash and know that is the only way you can engage the starter..... If you want looks, leave the parts and wires that go nowhere now.   Treminate them so they can not be hooked up again.