Another Brake adjustment Post

Mpgp1999

Hello everyone

No matter what I do to the brakes I just can’t stop. I have them all snug and dragging but when I step on the brake they won’t stop. The linings are for the 3rd time in three years are new. Can anyone shed some light. I have had multiple mechanics confused and they gave up on it. If anyone has been to the last couple of national meets all I do is work on the brakes day and night. 

I have taken my car to an automotive restoration shop and an original Dodge brothers dealership.   I am located in San Rafael 94903 California.  All the brake shops around here don’t want to touch it.  The one that Will has never seen anything like it before but he says he will work on anything. 

11 minutes ago, Ron Lawson said:

Most "Modern" brake people put a too hard of a lining on them The linings should be soft The may wear a little quicker but at least they work on the steel drums

That is one thing.

I don't know what type of brakes this car has, but if they are internal expanding Lockheed brakes then the linings and he drums should have the same radius. That is the linings should be arc'd to match the drums. Failure do that will greatly reduce the contact area between the lining and the drum and the braking ability will be very much reduced.

I don't blame a brake shop for not wanting anything to do with them.

Mine wouldn't brake worth a rip either despite new linings.

It's ALL in the adjusting and  it's mostly in how the formed "keyway" in the band contacts the "key".

I am good with words and have tried explaining how to adjust them but words still fail me.

I figured them out on my own but but the devil is in the details.

There are some mechanical things that defy explanation....... 😖

When I sold my Dodge I let my books go with it so don't have even those for reference.