Free Radio

PWB

Holy Cow! you are very generous Paul. An AM/FM Stereo and the Stereo unit still has the black cover intact. Its 67 as the black cover has the stereo light blacked out. Stereo light was moved to radio in 67 but of course will fit and function perfectly in a 66. Wish I needed one. Someone will have a Merry Christmas.

25 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Holy Cow! you are very generous Paul. An AM/FM Stereo and the Stereo unit still has the black cover intact. Its 67 as the black cover has the stereo light blacked out. Stereo light was moved to radio in 67 but of course will fit and function perfectly in a 66. Wish I needed one. Someone will have a Merry Christmas.

Hi Jason,

Did not know that about the stereo light...I thought the window changed color but this feature hung on even until after `67??

Tom

PS Maybe only in the Riviera?

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

I noticed there is no model number sticker on this multiplex unit and there should be. I think the model number on the radio and multiplex unit should match? Wonder if the multiplex unit is from another year?

Tom

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SERVICED-w-WARRANTY-1967-BUICK-RIVIERA-DELCO-AM-FM-STEREO-RADIO-7298974-A-67-GS/352544217823?hash=item521545dadf:g:MqcAAOSwA-NbpDPK:rk:1:pf:1&vxp=mtr&frcectupt=true

Did some research to refresh my memory and apparently Buick brought back the graphics on the multiplex unit for `68 but the stereo light is in the radio and the graphic on the multiplex face plate is a solid white as pictured above. The `68 radio is the same for the Buick full size models and is not Riviera specific.

I have a `67 Wildcat AM-FM stereo unit but cant recall what graphic, if any, is on the faceplate...will check this afternoon. Love these details...

Tom

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting the pic...this is exactly what the cover looks like on the `67 Wildcat unit I have. It may be hard to tell in the pic but there is a piece of black textured tape applied behind the window.

On my faceplate, which hasnt been cleaned in ages, if ever, there are witness lines which lead me to believe there was a graphic at one time applied in the window. Do you see witness lines on yours?

Does it make sense for Delco to also have applied blackout tape behind the window if there originally was a grahic applique to cover the window? The graphic applique, which has become loose in both of my NOS faceplates, as well as the faceplate itself, is notorious for coming loose and falling out.

I `ll post pics of my face plate sometime today. I`m still looking for a parts book reference to break out any differences in the faceplates qualified by model year. Thanks again for posting the pic,

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting the pic...this is exactly what the cover looks like on the `67 Wildcat unit I have. It may be hard to tell in the pic but there is a piece of black textured tape applied behind the window.

On my faceplate, which hasnt been cleaned in ages, if ever, there are witness lines which lead me to believe there was a graphic at one time applied in the window. Do you see witness lines on yours?

Does it make sense for Delco to also have applied blackout tape behind the window if there originally was a grahic applique to cover the window? The graphic applique, which has become loose in both of my NOS faceplates, as well as the faceplate itself, is notorious for coming loose and falling out.

I `ll post pics of my face plate sometime today. I`m still looking for a parts book reference to break out any differences in the faceplates qualified by model year. Thanks again for posting the pic,

Tom

Tom,

I have seen other 67 covers with the blackout tape behind the window.

55 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Tom,

I have seen other 67 covers with the blackout tape behind the window.

Hi Jason,

Yes, I am convinced given Paul`s face plate and mine from the `67 Wildcat that the textured blackout tape is original and was placed there by Delco. Incidentally, that blackout tape is originally applied to the metal case of the multiplex unit behind the faceplate and not the faceplate itself....hard to tell in Paul`s pic. I probably should have better communicated my question which is "was there originally an applique in the raised boss area of the faceplate" which has fallen out? I have 2 NOS face plates with the same part number which have the applique. If I could find their part number in the parts book the application will be a clue as to whether the `67 multiplex face plate had an applique. I`m quite sure the `68 (and maybe `69?) faceplate had the applique as these are easily found in an internet search. I havnt had a chance to check any `67 literature besides a quick look in the parts book so maybe that will provide a clue. Basically trying to determine what the "correct" cosmetic is for the `67 model multiplex,

Tom

• Like 1

The applique in 66 was one piece and word Delco in white and Stereo in translucent yellow. I never recall 67s having the word Delco or Stereo on the faceplate but warning, that is only my own experience. Thinking when the applique was left off in 67, it left a hole on the side where the light shone through to light up the word "Stereo". The faceplate was solid plastic behind the word Delco on the applique which did not light up. Hence the decision to put black tape over the  opening in housing of multiplexer so it would appear all black. The tape would have been a cheap alternative to making a new faceplate mold or inserting the existing mold to eliminate the opening.

There is nothing cooler on the 66 than that Stereo light lighting up a stereo signal is received from the air waves. I can imagine back in 66 that would have been something to impress friends with.

• Like 1

Some pics...my `67 Wildcat MPLX cover, removed from a unit with the correct `67 model number. It`s filthy but that`s good for our purpose.    Those look like witness marks indicating there was an applique over the window at one time. The area of the recess which would have been covered is also very shiney, as though it may have been covered when new.

Also a couple of pics of the NOS face plate I have. Notice, although NOS in the box which appears to have been very well kept, the applique is coming off!!! Although I havnt found a parts book reference via observation I`ve concluded this NOS faceplate cannot be a `67 unit. Notice that the metal face of the MPLX unit is affixed to the plastic cover on the NOS part. This metal faceplate is very different from the `67 metal faceplate. Among other things the `67 metal faceplate does not have the triangular cutout in the middle. Crazy after revising the stamping that the window for the `66 indicator light is still present!

Tom

20181220_163634.jpg

20181220_163649.jpg

20181220_163713.jpg

20181220_163740.jpg

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

The applique in 66 was one piece and word Delco in white and Stereo in translucent yellow. I never recall 67s having the word Delco or Stereo on the faceplate but warning, that is only my own experience. Thinking when the applique was left off in 67, it left a hole on the side where the light shone through to light up the word "Stereo". The faceplate was solid plastic behind the word Delco on the applique which did not light up. Hence the decision to put black tape over the  opening in housing of multiplexer so it would appear all black. The tape would have been a cheap alternative to making a new faceplate mold or inserting the existing mold to eliminate the opening.

There is nothing cooler on the 66 than that Stereo light lighting up a stereo signal is received from the air waves. I can imagine back in 66 that would have been something to impress friends with.

Hi Jason,

I find it hard to believe that Delco would have used such a half assed solution to the indicator light change on their most expensive radio option. Why not continue the `66 applique just for the "Delco" identification, right? Of course I`m basing these assumptions on the dangerous assumption that a large corp. always does what makes sense!

Do you think it possible that they used the `66 applique and because the "stereo" area was translucent blocked the indicator window with the black tape? And that we have both failed to find an original that hasnt fallen off?

Im working on securing some info from period Delco radio catalogs to see if I can at least document the part numbers and applications for the MPLX faceplates,

Tom

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Agree that it was cool!  GM had one on the 66 Chevy Caprice that was way cooler and is very rare.  If you got the optional bucket seats, console and the stereo multiplex, the controls were mounted in the console compartment lid.  The green stereo light was the size of a nickel on this application.  It was a one year only option.  If you Google 66 Caprice console stereo you can check it out.

Edited by Pat Curran
update content (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Jason,

I find it hard to believe that Delco would have used such a half assed solution to the indicator light change on their most expensive radio option. Why not continue the `66 applique just for the "Delco" identification, right? Of course I`m basing these assumptions on the dangerous assumption that a large corp. always does what makes sense!

Do you think it possible that they used the `66 applique and because the "stereo" area was translucent blocked the indicator window with the black tape? And that we have both failed to find an original that hasnt fallen off?

Im working on securing some info from period Delco radio catalogs to see if I can at least document the part numbers and applications for the MPLX faceplates,

Tom

Howdy Tom,

I checked with Darwin (66-70 ROA Tech Advisor for those who don't know) . He confirmed in 67 there was no applique. Only the black "mottled" tape.

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Howdy Tom,

I checked with Darwin (66-70 ROA Tech Advisor for those who don't know) . He confirmed in 67 there was no applique. Only the black "mottled" tape.

Found these listings in Buick parts book authored in `69 and revised in `70. Notice the nomenclature. Buick is calling the MPLX unit a "stereo adapter". Also notice the specific qualifier relative to the faceplate which states "includes applique". Interesting.....

img370.jpg

img371.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Found these listings in Buick parts book authored in `69 and revised in `70. Notice the nomenclature. Buick is calling the MPLX unit a "stereo adapter". Also notice the specific qualifier relative to the faceplate which states "includes applique". Interesting.....

img370.jpg

img371.jpg

Whoa! $96.86 for that ('67) part in 1970!

Thats $620.00 in todays dollars based on this website: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Makes sense though. I'll bet it cost at least $600 to replace a top end Buick stereo today!

• 2 years later...

Thanks to PWB and 1965rivgs for the pics. Been wondering what this box I found bolted to the hump on my 1966 Electra. I don't see yet how it was bolted to the radio originally (don't even know if was meant to be visible). The wiring diagram only shows the yellow wire feeding the radio and I assume the ground is from the antenna. Can anyone tell me where the blue wire on the stereo box goes?

Model Number is: 7298974.

IMG_20210812_114439686_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210812_114431552.jpg

IMG_20210812_114504743_HDR.jpg