Best products for white walls?

Kevin M

I just got new tires on my 98 lesabre on Saturday. I want to keep them as nice as possible for as long as I can. I’ve used mothers white wall spray in the past. But that’s good for cleaning. Is there any product that is a protectant for white walls out there, I can’t seem to find any. I figured y’all would know. Thanks in advance. 

A36BD4FA-A9D9-46DA-AB80-09B3158F09AF.jpeg

Try to limit their exposure to sunlight. With limited exposure to UV damage, your WW's will look good long after your tires should have been retired from touring. Limiting UV damage will also immeasurably increase your tire life. You might hear negative comments regarding Westley's Bleach-white, but I've been using it for over forty years with only good results. Clean them once a year, and try to keep them out of the sun, and they should look good for the life of the tire.

• Like 1

I used Westley's, too, for 30+ years. I keep a folded piece of 800 or 100 grit wet or dry sandpaper in the water bucket to dress up the edges and any scuffs. I wet sand the whitewalls.

My tires last about 10 years so I am not too worries about sanding through the sidewalls.

Bernie

Westley's does a great job of removing pin striping on wheels--unintentionally.  I used to use Simple Green Automotive (full strength) plus a scrub brush, but have found a proprietary elixir from an individual in the Mother Lode country which cleans the blackwalls as well as the whitewalls.

OK, I walked to the garage and got the jug.  "Ultimate Whitewall Kleener" (sic) PC#3550, Pacific Products Inc., P.O. Box 1088, Sutter Creek, CA 95685, 209-two67-nine134.  I usually pick up a gallon (about $20) every year or two (I use half a gallon a year on the running fleet) at the delightful Ironstone Concours in Murphys in late Sept.  I have several blackwall-equipped cars and this product delivers the right minimal-sheen finish unlike the shiny-tire products at the chain stores.  I have no connection with these folks except as a very satisfied customer. 

Grimy mentioned how it can remove pinstriping from your wheels. It can also make spots on your jack stands if you splash it around.

Of course you have to be one of those who raises their car on jack stands to know about that.

Under the A-frame in front and under the frame rail in the rear. The rears need to drop down unsprung to do a really good job.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 12:53 PM, Kevin M said:

I just got new tires on my 98 lesabre on Saturday. I want to keep them as nice as possible for as long as I can. I’ve used mothers white wall spray in the past. But that’s good for cleaning. Is there any product that is a protectant for white walls out there, I can’t seem to find any. I figured y’all would know. Thanks in advance. 

A36BD4FA-A9D9-46DA-AB80-09B3158F09AF.jpeg

That's not a white wall, this is a white wall,....😁

IMAG0127.thumb.jpg.52c47da3fe2d60d05228c5430f0a7be3.jpg

• Like 1

I like the fish on the beer can. Reminds me of the time we thought we'd make our own white wall cleaner with fish oil. I live in western New York so it was obvious to squeeze the oil from some Coho's up at Point Breeze. It didn't seem to penetrate well and it was hard going out on the choppy lake. So we saved some juice, but went upstream to a quieter place to get some Walleye oil. Mixed the two together but it wasn't aggressive enough. Well, we knew the big Musky's were aggressive, so we mixed it all together and made a fish oil cleaner we called Cowallski.

Darned stuff made Polka Dots all over the tires!

image.thumb.png.28000d0f2f5cf268656f0af5dd7414fb.png

Ended up making planters out of the tires.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1