• Water based foam can freeze in winter:

Best Fire Extinguisher For Cars

Auto Fire Extinguisher Discharge Range UL Numeric Rating
H3R Performance HG100C 6 to 8 Feet 1-B:C
First Alert FIAFESA5 6 to 8 Feet 5-B:C
Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 10 to 15 Feet 2-A:10-B:C
Buckeye 45100 4 to 8 Feet 5-B:C

Halon, Halon, Halon! Nothing else.

There are more modern replacements, very similar, but I buy the units that are new with recycled gas. Nothing better. Do NOT use dry chemical extinguishers on a car, you will NEVER clean up the mess, and the damage to the surface can be extensive. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Halon, Halon, Halon! Nothing else.

There are more modern replacements, very similar, but I buy the units that are new with recycled gas. Nothing better. Do NOT use dry chemical extinguishers on a car, you will NEVER clean up the mess, and the damage to the surface can be extensive. 

I thought that Halon gas was declared illegal as it displaces oxygen and will suffocate persons if used in an confined space.

It is though, the best fire stopper that I have ever seen in a demonstration where a room filled with an explosive vapor was set on fire.

The halon was introduced in the other end of the room and you could see the halon meet the flame front in the middle of the room and extinguish the fire instantly.

Halon won’t touch paint. Recently a mid seven figure car burst into flame in the shop with a ruptured fuel line......(not our car) and I put the fuel fire out in a fraction of a seconed. The puddle of gas was on the floor, but did not reignite. Ask yourself this simple question, why does virtually every car on the field at Pebble Beach have Halon? Because it’s the best thing available. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Halon won’t touch paint. Recently a mid seven figure car burst into flame in the shop with a ruptured fuel line......(not our car) and I put the fuel fire out in a fraction of a seconed. The puddle of gas was on the floor, but did not reignite. Ask yourself this simple question, why does virtually every car on the field at Pebble Beach have Halon? Because it’s the best thing available. 

is Halotron the same stuff?  I saw Halon is not available easily any longer, however they say Halotron is the same but environmentally safe.  

I'd want something bigger to protect my car and when we're looking at a judging field we have to confirm that the extinguisher has a charge, so you'd be best with one that has a gauge. Your cars are too nice to trust with something inadequate!

I retired from 42 years of  working in large computer centers (main-frames).  The ONLY type of fire extinguisher used  was halon.  There was one on the wall at 20 foot intervals.  I have halon and co2 in my shop.  Halon is available, NO problem.

• Like 2

dot_on.gifBASIC FACTS ABOUT HALON

What is Halon and How Does it Work?

Halon is a "Clean Agent." The National Fire Protection Association defines, a "Clean Agent" as "an electrically non-conducting, volatile, or gaseous fire extinguishant that does not leave a residue upon evaporation."

Halon is a liquefied, compressed gas that stops the spread of fire by chemically disrupting combustion. Halon 1211 (a liquid streaming agent) and Halon 1301 (a gaseous flooding agent) leave no residue and are remarkably safe for human exposure. Halon is rated for class "B" (flammable liquids) and "C" (electrical fires), but it is also effective on class "A" (common combustibles) fires. Halon 1211 and Halon 1301 are low-toxicity, chemically stable compounds that, as long as they remain contained in cylinders, are easily recyclable.

Halon is an extraordinarily effective fire extinguishing agent, even at low concentrations. According to the Halon Alternative Research Corporation: "Three things must come together at the same time to start a fire. The first ingredient is fuel (anything that can burn), the second is oxygen (normal breathing air is ample) and the last is an ignition source (high heat can cause a fire even without a spark or open flame). Traditionally, to stop a fire you need to remove one side of the triangle - the ignition, the fuel or the oxygen. Halon adds a fourth dimension to fire fighting - breaking the chain reaction. It stops the fuel, the ignition and the oxygen from dancing together by chemically reacting with them."

A key benefit of Halon, as a clean agent, is its ability to extinguish fire without the production of residues that could damage the assets being protected. Halon has been used for fire and explosion protection throughout the 20th century, and remains an integral part of the safety plans in many of today's manufacturing, electronic and aviation companies. Halon protects computer and communication rooms throughout the electronics industry; it has numerous military applications on ships, aircraft and tanks and helps ensure safety on all commercial aircraft.

Because Halon is a CFC, production of new Halon ceased in 1994. There is no cost effective means of safely and effectively disposing of the Halon. Therefore, recycling and reusing the existing supply intelligently and responsibly to protect lives and property is the wisest solution.

Why is Halon the best choice?

Fire needs three elements to prosper: fuel, oxygen and heat. The most common extinguishing agents like water, carbon dioxide, dry chemical and foams attack the fire physically to deprive the fire of one or more of the three critical elements needed for propagation. Halon differs in the way it puts out the fire. It offers some of water's cooling effect and some of carbon dioxide's smothering action, but its essential extinguishing technique lies in its capacity to chemically react with the fire's components. It actually interrupts the chain reaction of fire.

Water is very effective on class A fires (common combustibles like wood and paper). Halon is effective on common combustibles (although not as effective as water), but Halon is also effective on class B (flammable liquids), and it does not conduct electricity back to the extinguisher operator (class C).

Halon is similar to CO2 in that it is suitable for use in cold weather and leaves no residue. Unlike CO2, however, Halon does not displace the air out of the area where it is dispensed. Even for the toughest fires, less than an 8% concentration of Halon by volume is required, leaving plenty of air to use in the evacuation process. Also, unlike CO2, there is no danger of "cold shocking" avionics or other sensitive electrical equipment.

Dry chemical fire extinguishers are effective on A, B and C class fires. However, they are highly corrosive, and create billowing clouds of choking dust; dry chemical extinguishers should not be used in an aviation environment.

Foam extinguishers are effective on class A and B fires, and are particularly useful for preventing ignition of flammable liquid spills. However, foams are inferior to Halon in that they do require cleanup and in that they are not for use on electrical fires.

Halon 1211 is a liquefied gas which, when discharged, leaves the nozzle in a stream that is about 85% liquid and 15% gas. This gives the agent a range of 9 to 15 feet and offers significant advantages in fighting fires in large aircraft cabins. Mixtures of Halon 1211 and Halon 1301 have discharge characteristics dependent on the component weight ratio.

Related FAR Sections and CFR.

a. FAR 21.305 b. FAR 23.561 c. FAR 25.561; 25.851 d. FAR 27.561 e. FAR 29.561; 29.851; 299.853(e) & (f) f. FAR 91.193(c) g. FAR 121.309(c) h. FAR 125.119(b) i. FAR 127.107(c) j. FAR 135.155. k. Title 46 and 49 of the CFR

Is Halon still legal?

Because Halon is a CFC, the production of Halon ceased on January 1, 1994, under the Clean Air Act. There is no cost-effective means of safely and effectively disposing of the Halon that has already been produced, therefore recycling and reusing the existing supply intelligently and responsibly to protect lives and property is the best solution.

The EPA recognizes that that Halon remains the most effective "clean" extinguishing agent available, despite its ozone depleting potential, and there are no federal or state regulations prohibiting the buying, selling or use of Halon extinguishers. All Halon available now is recycled so it is an environmentally responsible choice.

How long will the supply of Halon last?

While the production of Halon ceased on January 1, 1994, under the Clean Air Act, it is still legal to purchase and use recycled Halon and Halon fire extinguishers. In fact, the FAA continues to recommend Halon fire extinguishers for aircraft.

At H3R Clean Agents, we are certain that the eventual demise of Halon will come not from insufficient supply, but from the development of an equally effective agent that does not damage the ozone layer and is relatively inexpensive. No such agent is currently available. 

How safe is Halon?

Halons are low-toxicity, chemically stable compounds that have been used for fire and explosion protection from early in the last century. Halon has proven to be an extremely effective fire suppressant. Halon is clean (i.e., leaves no residue) and is remarkably safe for human exposure. Halon is a highly effective agent for firefighting in closed passenger carrying areas. Due to its effectiveness and relatively low toxicity, the FAA continues to recommend or require Halon extinguishers for use on commercial aircraft.

Extensive toxicity evaluations have been compiled by nationally recognized United States medical laboratories and institutions on Halon 1301 and Halon 1211. These evaluations have shown that Halon 1301 and Halon 1211 are two of the safest clean extinguishing agents available. Dual Halon concentrations of about 5% by volume in air are adequate to extinguish fires of most combustible materials. This concentration is equivalent to emptying twelve 2.5 lb. units in a closed room of 1000 cubic feet, which would be highly unlikely.

Does Halon remove oxygen from the air?

It is a common misconception that Halon, like CO2, "removes oxygen from the air."

According to the Halon Alternative Research Corporation (www.harc.org): "Three things must come together at the same time to start a fire. The first ingredient is fuel (anything that can burn), the second is oxygen and the last is an ignition source. Traditionally, to stop a fire you need to remove one side of the triangle-the ignition, the fuel or the oxygen. Halon adds a fourth dimension to fire fighting-breaking the chain reaction. It stops the fuel, the ignition and the oxygen from working together by chemically reacting with them."

Is Halotron 1 a type of Halon?

Halotron 1 is a "clean" fire-extinguishing agent intended to replace Halon 1211. NFPA 2001, "Standard on Clean Agent Fire Extinguishing Systems" defines a "Clean Agent" to be "an electrically non-conducting volatile, or gaseous fire extinguishant that does not leave a residue upon evaporation." Halotron is a safe, effective, environmentally acceptable replacement for Halon 1211. It is discharged as a liquid that rapidly evaporates. Halotron 1 is a proprietary three-component chemical blend based on HCFC-123.

Where can I get more information about Halon and other clean agents?

www.nafed.org - National Association of Fire Equipment Distributors

www.fssa.net - Fire Suppression Systems Association

www.harc.org - Halon Alternatives Research Corporation

www.nist.gov - National Institute of Standards & Technology

The Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer

FAA AC 20-42C, Hand Fire Extinguishers for Use in Aircraft dated 03/07/84

EPA - RULE 40 CFR Part 82 Protection of Stratospheric Ozone: Manufacture of Halon Blends, Intentional Release of Halon, Technician Training and Disposal of Halon and Halon-Containing Equipment. 

FINAL RULE SUMMARY EPA BAN ON HALON MARCH 5, 1998 (63FR 11084)

Halon information: Q & A on Halon and Their Substitutes 

9 minutes ago, MochetVelo said:

The above information is interesting, but doesn't mention why halon was banned. This is because it is destructive to atmospheric ozone which, in turn, shields the earth from the sun's ultraviolet radiation.

Ah, go suck a pine tree!

(Sorry, I just had to say that, please forgive me)🤭

To be honest, depending on thr car, I carry one or two. Understand EVERY car I Service has a battery quick disconnect switch CORRECTLY installed. So I am comfortable with a 21/2 pound Halon in most cases. On my Cadillacs, I carry two at all times, and three on long tours. Cadillacs love to burn......probably at the rate of ten times of all the others. There is a new fire extinguisher that looks like a old road flare that was used by NASA in the spacecraft that I am looking at. You can see it on Jay Leno’s Garage video in the last few months. Once activated it goes for 55 seconds, and it never needs service. Watch the video, I think I am going to add them to all the cars along with the Halon units. They are very small and light weight, and worth the extra expense for at additional capacity.

Element fire extinguisher is thee new type of extinguisher I was talking about. Check it out on Leno’s site, as well as YouTube..

7 hours ago, stvaughn said:

After seeing Ed’s post I checked out the Element fire extinguisher and ordered two. I may have to set something on fire now just to convince myself that they work. Really don’t want to wait until my car catches on fire to find out they don’t. 

That is a good idea......understanding it’s capabilities is very desirable. Let me know how you make out. I am up north for the holidays, but when I get back south I intend to order a few and try one out. I will always carry Halon,  but I like the idea of a almost two minute back up in the event of a disaster. Maybe I will only carry them on the extended tours.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Stop by sometime. My fire extinguisher will take your breath away.

002.thumb.JPG.d84accbea47673c343fb6d09cc02fe95.JPG

Bernie

Along with a bunch of brain cells! But if it works, I’m for it!👍