Sign in to follow this  
alsmith787

Car I wanted all my life from 21 till now 71

All my adult life I wanted a 1968 Mercury Cougar GTE 427 " NO EXCEPTIONS" unfortunately the Military came along & so did Vietnam by the time I was medi-vaced out it was too late won't go in2 details let's say I missed my window.

Now there is one for sale on eBay supposed numbers matching with 106,000 miles (means nothing really as long as it's a original) has a Marti report & a window sticker vin# matches everything; because of the mileage reasonable I assume but my radar is up & back of hair is raised 

Any advise much appreciated & ur thoughts welcomed 

Those are great cars Al. I've owned a couple of first generation Cougars but never a 428.

It would nice if the seller offered more pictures for a car as rare as this one.

Good luck,

Greg

Hey Newbie, 1st thank you for your service.

...Next since you asked; stay away from a FE series 68 Cougar unless you just want to cruise with it once in a while and then do maintenance the rest of your time. I worked at Ford Dealers from 1966 thru 77 and believe me I have driven all Ford models and a Fire Breathing HiPo 427-428 68 Cougar and Mustang is like driving a Plow Truck around Corners. As far as Wow factor I love those FE engines when they are pushing 11-1 compression but put it in a larger 69 Cougar or get a 67-68 with a Built 351W or Cleveland engine and have at it.

Edited by Ric Dean
larger text (see edit history)

As far as I understand true 427 GTE's are extremely rare. 256 built. And a good many had the 427 "robbed" for something else over the years.  It is extremely difficult to be 100% sure that is indeed the original engine. And the selling dealers description seems pretty vague other than the Marti report. {Really documents nothing other than the information on the tag.}

I would be cautious to the point of paranoid about it. Find out who is the true expert on these cars and pay for an inspection.  

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

remember, it just may not be the same once you get one, as when you were 21.

Not many cars these days I couldnt do without.............

So its so far over 58K and has not hit reserve, basically zero photos except for paperwork showing what a car like that would look like on the msrp, and almost zero info except for anyone interested to come and look. Sounds to me the guy is interviewing for a buyer, not really selling or is proving to the wife "well honey, I put it on ebay and got nowhere" and really doesnt want to sell. Id absolutely call his bluff if this is your holy grail and be fully knowledgeable on the things to look for if its still in your cost range. Im guessing he wants north of 75 as is. JMHO

• Like 1

All the top performance Small Fords of this era are a blast in a straight line. 1968 1/2 CJ Mustang, GTE Cougar, 1969 and 70 428 CJ Mustangs and Cougars. They were tailored for super stock strip use. Ok on the street, but not really what they were built for.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

As far as I understand true 427 GTE's are extremely rare. 256 built. And a good many had the 427 "robbed" for something else over the years.  It is extremely difficult to be 100% sure that is indeed the original engine. And the selling dealers description seems pretty vague other than the Marti report. {Really documents nothing other than the information on the tag.}

I would be cautious to the point of paranoid about it. Find out who is the true expert on these cars and pay for an inspection.  

Greg in Canada

Greg is more than 100 percent correct. Get the best guy in the world on these cars to help you out, it’s worth every penny. I can’t repeat this enough, ALWAYS get help when laying out money for a car, especially if you can’t affort to take a 100 percent hit in value. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, mercer09 said:

remember, it just may not be the same once you get one, as when you were 21.

Not many cars these days I couldnt do without.............

Sad , a LOT of things aren't the same as when I was 21 ,but as long as the clutch and throttle still work I can pretend Im 21......

Im a mere image of my former self....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember life is short. If you want the car check it out and buy it. cars are a lot more fun than a bank statement. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Years ago I had interest in Ford FE series big block engines, and I found a forum dedicated to FE engines. One of the moderators on that forum actually owned an original 427-equipped Cougar, and seemed to really know what he was talking about. IF I recall correctly, that gentleman lived near Cincinnati, Ohio. I'll be that if you post asking for advice about an original 427 FE Cougar, that moderator will see it and respond (assuming he is still there). Here is a link to that forum: Ford FE engine forum

The Cougar guys are pretty dedicated and if you go on either of the two Cougar forums (google them) there will already be a discussion on the subject car.

I owned a 427 GTE for while and know a little bit about these cars.

1.  50% of them do not have their original block.   But the real issues is the heads which are much harder to find.  All the blocks were made in a single casting (in August of 67 I believe) but the heads are a bigger deal.    The VIN is stamped in the head not not the block.

2.  The idea of a 427SO in a pony car seems cool,  but Ford detuned the crap out of them to the point a 428CJ is faster.  Most/many do not have a posi rear ends (how is that possible in a muscle car?????).   They are all automatics.   Half don't even half Tachs.

3.  Btw,  on the detuned subject,  they are running a crappy intake with 390 exhaust and a tiny little carb with a hydro cam.

http://home.townisp.com/~alsancle/GTE.html

image.png.e2d0c03b1f2906b1216ea0346707a446.png

I just went to my own website and refreshed my memory on stuff I could spit out on demand 10 or 15 years ago:

Here are some of the critical parts that go with the engine.  Those J heads are made of unobtainium.

• 1 C8AE-A Sideoiler hydraulic cam block
  • C8AF-9510-AD carburetor
  • 1 C7AE-9426-F intake (removed from a GTE)
  • Pair of matching C8AE 6090 J heads

Can offer no advice, but can offer memories of driving impression of a similar car.

1967 - special ordered Mustang 390 fastback GTA as a FAMILY car (wife and I). Actually, it was her car. The automatic transmission lasted about 1 week into the Ford strike in 1968. 13 weeks and the wife had my TR-3, and I had Dad's Ford pickup. 

1968 - Ford finally settled the strike and got the auto transmission fixed; and promptly special ordered 1968 Mustang 390 GT (no miserable "A") fastback. Car plowed a little with spirited cornering, but still was quicker than most anything else in the baja boondocks of rural Missouri. Original Firestone wide ovals lasted almost 6k miles, and were replaced with Goodyears. Somewhat better handling, but still not up to my TR-3. Goodyears lasted almost 9k miles, and I was tired of changing tires! Replaced with a set of Goodyear radials. WHAT A REMARKABLE DIFFERENCE!!!!! Car no longer plowed in the corners. Really great performance for 1968.................straight line, cornering, cruising, whatever. The Goodyear radials still had about 60 percent tread after 45k miles when we traded the car for a better on gasoline version during the first gasoline rationing in 1973. One of only two cars I really wish I could have afforded to have kept.

The only service issues (other than tires) is the steel GT wheels starting cracking at about 30k miles (YES, the car WOULD corner!). Ford replaced them under warranty at no cost to me.

Was really fun to watch the wife drive the car (4 lane in town). Some kid would pull up beside her in his whatever at a stop light, look over and see the GT emblem, and start reving the engine. Light would turn green, and she would be waiting for him at the next light, and she was just driving, NOT racing.

What a car!.

Jon

Posted (edited)

The 427 hydraulic SO were cast in badges as the Heads. Also the carburators mostly have the same date code. I am from germany and was able to find 3 Sets of J heads over the Years, all with same date! It's not easy, but still possible with some patience.

Also you can find Blocks and Carburators.

Since not all Blocks have the VIN in it, nobody can for sure tell you these Engine belongs to the Car. Big Problem.

In my opinion the special GT-E C6 is the hardest part to catch if it's needed.

Nearly hard to find is the Distributor.

For all engine parts the FE = fuckin expensive it's word, if it's for the 427 you can double or triple the price.

The offered car i know in person, drove it, it's one of the most original GT-Es i ever saw. 

But it have a lot of "Patina". Paint is bad same as Leather Seats. Dry rott.

There are two GT-E Gurus nearby the Seller, they can maybe inspect the car for you. Both helped me to buy my two GT-Es

Contact via PM request.

I can do it too, but not before April 19.

Maybe the car was visited by a Guru before and a report is available.

And remember, the 427 Hydraulic is detuned and is not that legendary tire smoking engine as a Med or High Riser. GT-E is a luxury coupe and not a ready to race R-Code Fairlane! These Cars are very powerful but silent cats. I am more the Brougham Steam Boat guy, the GT-E have these feeling of luxury, it have a lot of sound deadener inside, real Leather seats, very nice to drive, smooth and enough power - i love it.

Edited by Rockne33DLXRoadster (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Rockne33DLXRoadster said:

And remember, the 427 Hydraulic is detuned and is not that legendary tire smoking engine as a Med or High Riser. GT-E is a luxury coupe and not a ready to race R-Code Fairlane! These Cars are very powerful but silent cats. Very nice to drive, smooth - i love it.

My car had its original transmission so I never realized that was a special part too.  It took me a couple of years to find those "J" heads.  

Most people don't realize the level of "detune" that happened.  Because Ford publicly rated the 427GTE at 375HP and the 428CJ at 335 there has always been a natural assumption that the former was more powerful than the latter.

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2018 at 1:33 PM, alsancle said:

The Cougar guys are pretty dedicated and if you go on either of the two Cougar forums (google them) there will already be a discussion on the subject car.

I owned a 427 GTE for while and know a little bit about these cars.

1.  50% of them do not have their original block.   But the real issues is the heads which are much harder to find.  All the blocks were made in a single casting (in August of 67 I believe) but the heads are a bigger deal.    The VIN is stamped in the head not not the block.

2.  The idea of a 427SO in a pony car seems cool,  but Ford detuned the crap out of them to the point a 428CJ is faster.  Most/many do not have a posi rear ends (how is that possible in a muscle car?????).   They are all automatics.   Half don't even half Tachs.

3.  Btw,  on the detuned subject,  they are running a crappy intake with 390 exhaust and a tiny little carb with a hydro cam.

http://home.townisp.com/~alsancle/GTE.html

image.png.e2d0c03b1f2906b1216ea0346707a446.png

1. i have seen VINs on heads or on blocks or booth or nothing...

2. GT-E was nerver offered as "Muscle" but as Luxury Coupe. That's why it wasn't a popular drag racing car these days. It's much heavier than a Mustang or Fairlane.

3. The intake is a aluminum PI intake, same as on a GT500.

Carburator only 600cfm but makes good torque. Nice upgrade is a 68 735cfm Carburator from a 428CJ and swap the exhaust manifolds into the 428CJ as well. Just add 2.5" Exhaust pipes and the GT-E flyes! ( and looks nearlystock ;) )

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, alsancle said:

My car had its original transmission so I never realized that was a special part too. 

yeah, it's a PGB-W transmission with H-Servo and aluminium tail housing. Most guys saying in the car belongs a R-Servo Steel tail housing C6 but this is wrong. 

You can see the de-tunig in using a aluminium tail shaft too due lack of torque in the GT-E