woody 50 guy speedometer problems

50 WOODY

Try unscrewing the knurled end of the sheath from the back of the speedometer, and the pull the cable itself from its housing. Clean it well, and then lube it with white lithium grease - although some prefer graphite. Reinsert the cable and hook to the speedo. That "MAY" solve your bouncing needle - it did in many speedometers for me over the years

Bouncing speedo needle usually means cable needs to be lubed. Disconnect at transmission, pull out inner cable, wipe it clean with a rag and grease with speedo cable lubricant. You used to get it from any auto parts store, $1.79 for a lifetime supply. Do not grease the top 6" to 12", you don't want grease working into the speedo. Check that the cable is hanging free in smooth curves, it should not be bent into a tight curve and certainly not kinked. If it is kinked or rusted real bad it may be necessary to replace the whole thing but usually a little grease fixes it up.

I had to have the speedometer on my '54 Ranch Wagon repaired-rebuilt when it started doing that (needle bouncing around.) As I recall, I also replaced speedo cable at the time.  I think I replaced the cable first and it didn't help.

On the '54 you can detach the cable at both the tranny and the speedo. If you think the cable is ok, I would just detach the cable at the speedo because I suspect it's the speedometer that needs repair. I guess you could drive the car around with the cable detached at the speedometer to make sure the cable is turning as it should. It's probably smartest to try Rusty O'Toole's lubricant approach first before presuming an expensive repair.

I had the repair done at a place called Bob's Speedometer Service in Howell, Michigan. I mailed it there and it took several weeks - and a few hundred dollars - to get it back. That was about 15 years ago. The speedometer and odometer are still working good.