Help with 1986 F150 HPOF

Frantz

I picked up this '86 F150 from a friend of mine and I think it would be a good HPOF truck. It's not as nice as many in the field and I just need some help understanding how HPOF stuff is looked at/judged. I've only done class judging myself. Honestly I know it's not a great truck, but I thought it is a good point in time to take it out of truck use and in 20 more years it'll be a really nice 50 year old truck. These things have to come from somewhere right?

Obviously the cap will have to be removed for the judging. The bed is in great shape with no spray in or drop in liner. Previous owners had used carpet to protect. I'm gonna just get a rubber mat (to be removed for show). The wheels in photo are incorrect but I got originals and already got them mounted with fresh rubber. It has an incorrect radio as well. The running boards are wrong, but I think I can keep them on and still score okay? The wiring all looks to be in good order but many of the hoses have been replaced with various quality. I'll be putting new rubber in but it's certainly not original. No repaiting has happened, though the original paint is getting thin. I'm sure shocks have been replaced at some point and the muffler doesn't have quite enough rust for me to think it's original, but the truck is also really clean underneath thanks to previously being owned only by old men and being 2wd and 120k.

But lets assume the radio, hoses, the steps, and the muffler are incorrect, and everything else is original. So that would be 26 out of 30 right? That should be okay for a HOPF cert wouldn't it? What's the HPOF vs AACA Original I see on the scorecard? Could I replace hoses correctly or determine muffler to be original or take off the steps and have something different than HPOF? Can I find original muffler and radio and put them in or do they need to be original to the vehicle to count (obviously I could, and would like to, do the radio and no one would know other than the fact that I posted it here)

Darn it... I see the rain guards too now that I look.... 25/30?

20180923_135526.jpg

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)

I am not a HPOF "judge" but I do own a couple of HPOF cars so I have been where you are.  On all my HPOF cars, my hoses, belts, tires and muffler have been replaced (with period correct items) and I got HPOF without an issue.  I haven't taken them through a second round for Original HPOF but I think the main difference is that you aren't allowed as many deductions the second time around.  From my limited knowledge, your running boards would be a deduction (possibly 1 point each) and radio another deduction.  I may be wrong but I think items that are maintenance/safety items (tires, hoses, belts) are considered ok.  I don't think running on 25 plus year old tires, hoses or belts is safe.

Bob

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Hill said:

your running boards would be a deduction (possibly 1 point each)

The number of points would be important to clarify. The rain guards probably come out pretty easy, I'm assuming they weren't a factory option. The running boards are obviously not factory and not as easy to remove but they could come out if that is what held it back. Muffler is OEM style, so I might be good there from what you said. Some hoses still need replaced as they were done with the red replacement hoses rather than OEM style. I suppose it doesn't hurt to take care of what's easy and give it a try.

If it were mine, I would remove the running boards and rain guards, topper (which you already mentioned) and replace the hoses with at least all matching ones.  Degrease the engine bay but not paint anything, do a good cleaning over all- then see how it does.

Bob

15 hours ago, Bob Hill said:

I would remove the running boards

I would but they're really helpful for my 6 year old daughter. I might see if they look like I could take off and put back on, but if I can get a pass with them on I'd just as soon do that. Nothing is too rusted on this truck, but each time you take something like this off, they don't go back on quite as solid.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:32 PM, 61polara said:

Why don't you consider DPC class?

What and park with all those hot rods? Just kidding. It would be a fine DPC truck, but I figure if it's that close to being HPOF eligible I'd rather go that way.

50 minutes ago, Frantz said:

What and park with all those hot rods? Just kidding. It would be a fine DPC truck, but I figure if it's that close to being HPOF eligible I'd rather go that way.

Most of my cars are DPC with a few in HPOF.  Go for HPOF and see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Would the cap be okay on DPC? That might sway me... it's also period correct and in good shape. I just picked up a bed mat for the truck today so I can use the truck, protect the bed, and have something that can be easily removed.

Okay so the Truck is DPC... now I found an 87 Corvette for HPOF (buying from the same gentleman), and I'll work on restoring my '54 Ford for points. By the time I'm the age of the avg member I might understand half of it!

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:44 PM, 61polara said:

I think the cap would be OK

A lot of dealers back then sold the cap to the buyer when new. Look into that I had encountered this with a late 70's El Camino in another club and there was literature from Chevrolet stating to speak to the dealer for accessories. I would think it was a common practice for all of the manufacturers. It is worth some investigating.

By the way that truck is pretty cool! 

• Like 1