owning, fixing and driving a Snapper's era Buick

cxgvd

Picture worthy.  Today I installed the panel on the rear of the front seat of the 1915 McLaughlin.  The other photos show the tool box open and closed and the robe rail with our choice of blanket to spread for a picnic.  All trimmed except for the large headed tacks which I am going to install last as shown on the top hidem welting in the photo.  Notice too our cocoa mat rear carpet.  Show day is now less than two weeks in my future to debut our touring car in Essex, On.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5389.JPG

DSC_5391.JPG

DSC_5398.JPG

DSC_5400.JPG

• Like 4

The 1915 McLaughlin C25 is days away and one seat cushion from being finished and on the road.  I contacted Heritage Village to register for the car's premiere outing this Sunday and sent a car show flyer to my friends, the Holiday Ramblers tour group.   We may have four or five pre 1916 cars to show.  Look me up when you are in Essex, On.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5364 (2).JPG

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing you & Bev and the car next weekend even if it isn't with the Nash.

I might hitch a ride with my buddy Joe who is involved with the new executive and this car show again hoping to bring it back to the level it was quite a few years ago.

Keeping fingers crossed for a good weather day which will make the Buick show nicely! 

Till then,

Doug

One more day to finish the McLaughlin, Pat, the upholsterer is happy with the job and has signed off on it and I have paid him.  He told me he has the next diamond tufted trim job in the works so his taking his time to learn a new trade should pay off.

Saturday, Bev and I are visiting with firefighters at Essex and then Sunday is our turn to shine.  I have heard from many friends they intend to attend Cars are Fun with us.  I will take some centerfold type photos soon, in the meantime Pat's seats are pictured.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_5424.JPG

DSC_5425.JPG

• Like 2

The 1915 is finished except for the fine tuning and side curtains, the 1913 seems to be well sorted, and we are missing the Old Car Festival, seems to be a good place to retire this weblog.

At the Fun on Wheels show yesterday we had two friends join Bev and I, Mark and Heather received the award for having the oldest car, 1912 Ford (By at least 25 years) and we won one on the five choice awards.  We were parked together and enjoyed a steady stream of well wishers and question askers.  Doug (DEI) stopped for a visit and had a conversation with Mark concerning his dad's 1920 Overland.  Seems Mark's dad was a close friend of the fellow Doug's dad acquired the Overland from and Mark has photos and recalls riding in the back seat as a child.  Great stories.

Funny story at the end of the show Mark cranked and cranked the Model T before it caught, a young fellow came around while the car was idling and was sorry to have missed seeing an engine started by hand.  I told the fellow no problem Mark would do it again for him.  No, he was not doing it again.

In two weeks our local car club, the KHAC, is having a one day tour and BBQ, which we will attend with the 1913 Buick.  The first week in October our six couple sub group Covid bubble, I call the Holiday Ramblers, is meeting in Listowel for a three day tour of central Ontario.

Life is good at 35 MPH in a seven foot tall antique.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5514.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arrived home for Hershey Friday night, a successful trip.  Interesting occurrence, I'll relate after a short setup.  In 1912 Charles Kettering invented the electric starting, ignition and lighting for Cadillac.  Most car makers installed it on their products in 1913, not Buick.  In 1913 Buick had an acetylene starter.  In 1914 Buick joined the wisdom of starter/generators.   I've seen many cars with complete or missing parts for the acetylene starter and know of no one who thinks it is a good idea to flood their combustion chambers explosive gas and set it off with a spark, me too.

To the present, my Model 31 has the parts which connect to the engine but not the dashboard mounted valve and my friend with the same car has a valve but not the engine parts.  Well, he finds a compete Disco starter for sale at Hershey, buys it, and offers me the valve for my car and keeps the primer cups and tubes for his car.  We split the cost, and both have the complete system.  Though to make the cars look great, neither one of us is going to light it up.

In the photos are his tubes and primers and the second is my valve.  BTW, it was expensive, but it's only money.

Regards, Gary

DSC_7840b.JPG

DSC_7960b.JPG

• Like 3

Hey Joe:  You have me thinking and it hurts.  How can this ever have worked but the system must have since Buick installed it and others too.  The acetylene headlamp requires one PSI to light up correctly, more than that and you could break the mirrors and melt the solder holding the lamp together.  To start the engine with acetylene from cold, you open the valve which floods all the cylinders, The gas is heavier than air, so I suppose it stays in the combustion chamber and not migrate past the engines open valves.  The cylinder which is in firing position would have the valves closed and the piston would have to be past TDC so the cylinder could accept a small charge of acetylene and not try to run backwards.  I would have to use a dual magneto, which I don't have, use a battery and coil, (which I have), to create a spark at the plugs.  The rotor must be in contact with the sparkplug, remember nothing is rotating, moving.  How can acetylene enter the chamber when there is 60 pounds of compressed fuel?  Think I will just leave it alone, great discussion item and polished brass, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Hey Joe:  You have me thinking and it hurts.  How can this ever have worked but the system must have since Buick installed it and others too.  The acetylene headlamp requires one PSI to light up correctly, more than that and you could break the mirrors and melt the solder holding the lamp together.  To start the engine with acetylene from cold, you open the valve which floods all the cylinders, The gas is heavier than air, so I suppose it stays in the combustion chamber and not migrate past the engines open valves.  The cylinder which is in firing position would have the valves closed and the piston would have to be past TDC so the cylinder could accept a small charge of acetylene and not try to run backwards.  I would have to use a dual magneto, which I don't have, use a battery and coil, (which I have), to create a spark at the plugs.  The rotor must be in contact with the sparkplug, remember nothing is rotating, moving.  How can acetylene enter the chamber when there is 60 pounds of compressed fuel?  Think I will just leave it alone, great discussion item and polished brass, too.

I think that is the wisest course of action. I was just kidding about making it work.

I won't even try to light the acetylene headlights on my 1910 Buick!