cxgvd

owning, fixing and driving a Snapper's era Buick

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:13 PM, dei said:

Sounds like an exciting tour you're going to have Gary.

I'd almost be willing to offer to be a chase vehicle with my empty car trailer on the back of the Special for you but it's too close to the Buick National in Strongsville. 🤭

Keep us posted.

Doug,

I am planning on being on the tour and leaving Thursday for the BCA meet.  Come and have some fun.

• Thanks 1

I have the Sunday marked on the calendar and will let you know if able to help out Gary.

I have thought about taking the boat across Lake Erie to go or come back from the National but have not decided just yet.

Unlike you retired guys, work for me is still in play...

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Gary,

How much is it to cross on the ferry?  One number that I saw is about $120.00 for a car for the 5 hour ride, +- a couple of hours which is usually more.  What about a car and trailer.

Larry and Doug;  I visited Ontarioferries.com and the base rate for a crossing with a 20' vehicle from Leamington to Sandusky, Oh this year is $46.00 but because you would be over 7 1/2" tall they consider it oversize and double the cost.  It is priced in Canadian dollars so Larry would get a 27% discount for USD.  I wonder if an open trailer would be less than 7 1/2".  On a positive note the ferry does save about 3 hours of driving, whatever that costs and Ambassador Bridge tolls.  Bev and I have only used the crossing one time, with a brief stop at Pelee Island and then a pleasant trip along Lake Erie to Cleveland instead of the driving the Ohio Turnpike.  Gary

• Thanks 1

I'm considering it for that one time experience especially doing it in the Special .

Larry is likely close on his estimated cost since I remember they also charge per person above the automobile cost. Reservations are a must as it is a popular service to Pelee Island in the summer for people to go to the Winery and spend the day.

I'll make a call after the new year and speak to someone to be sure of the facts then weigh the options.

We would like to be at the National (not to high jack your event Gary) for Wednesday as we have hotel reservations that night till Sunday but travelling and see the cars, meeting your Snappers group would be fun too!

Before we know it, Summer will be here!

Considering making the Snappers Tour via the Algonac Ferry and the BCA Meet via the Pelee Island Ferry as well but driving the whole distance including the 175 miles home and how many hundred on the Tour?  Could easily be 700 or 800 total.  

And what about a PWD After Tour?  Maybe 1000 total.  

F2885B94-A120-4AEE-9124-E61A466A6C52.jpeg

• Like 5

Sounds like a real bus man's holiday and I know you enjoy driving your tour car.  There are some other fellows from Michigan who expect to leave the trailer home " so not to wear out the trailer" and travelling across the St Clair river so you might buddy up for that portion of the trip to Chatham.

For other readers of this thread driving brass era cars long distances has a long tradition.  In 2015 Bev and I drove around Lake Erie in our 1913 Buick, 800 miles in 9 days, including downtown Cleveland.  We often pack the Buick and take the ferry to Pelee Island for a weekend.  We have friends who drove their 1912 Winton from Michigan to Idaho for an HCCA tour.  This summer there is a pre '16 tour to circumnavigate Nebraska.  Joe and Betty Swann drove their EMF around the United States, thousands of miles.  The Red Rock touring group last summer drove 2000 miles in 21 days around Virginia and West Virginia.

In ancient history a had a friend who drove his 1912 Lozier from Red Deer Alberta to Newfoundland and back for Canada's Centennial in 1967 and a guy named Green drove a curved dash Olds from New Jersey to California for a HCCA meeting.  In 1985 Bev and I drove from Red Deer, Ab to the mountains, the Banff Jasper highway, all the way to Cranbrook, BC, then east to Lethbridge, Al and home, far over 1000 miles.

The photo is our Buick model 31 in front of the Case Western Reserve Museum in Cleveland and a Ford on the Pelee Island ferry.

Best Regards, Gary

DSC_1760 (1).JPG

DSC_1714.JPG

• Like 2

Merry Christmas from Southern Ontario to all.  Bev and I thank you for the great year in the antique car hobby and wish you the best in 2020.  Gary

• Like 2

In 2017 we drove our 1923 to the 2017 BCA National Meet in Brookfield Wisconsin, then the PWD After Tour, then around Lake Michigan, across the U.P. and the bridge and down the other side of Lake Michigan.  1485 miles total and the Buick never missed a beat. 

Here we are crossing Lake Michigan on the high speed ferry out of Muskegon. 

6E186169-5D4B-4EA3-9FE6-90784B9DED17.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A very mild stretch of winter without snow and salted roads let us drive our '39 Century on Boxing Day.  We traveled out to a fishing village of Erieau, which is a summer destination but not for our Snapper's Tour next July.  Too busy, too many other interesting stops, we cannot fit it in to the list of activities.  Here is a photo of our car on the pier with unfrozen Lake Erie as the background, the second snap is the pier last winter.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2440 (2).JPG

DSC_0467.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cxgvd said:

A very mild stretch of winter without snow and salted roads let us drive our '39 Century on Boxing Day.  We traveled out to a fishing village of Erieau, which is a summer destination but not for our Snapper's Tour next July.  Too busy, too many other interesting stops, we cannot fit it in to the list of activities.  Here is a photo of our car on the pier with unfrozen Lake Erie as the background, the second snap is the pier last winter.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2440 (2).JPG

DSC_0467.JPG

Two great pictures!  would be a candidate for a "WOW" button , if we had one. 

• Thanks 1

Bev and I are taking a road trip on the Natchez Trace and winding up in Biloxi, Ms next week for a winter holiday.

For our Snapper's Tour in July I have been talking with at least 6 persons who plan to drive one and two cylinder vehicles, making for an impromptu small car event.  Gary

DSC_1762.JPG

• Like 1

A fellow must be happy when a plan comes together.  I've met with an upholsterer who has agreed to redo my 1915 McLaughlin and I will be the hired hand and all around helper and gopher, etc.  First step was to measure the quantity of leather needed.  We carefully worked out the sizes of the front and rear seats, door panels and the miscellaneous parts and came up with a little under a 100 square feet.

A 3 hour trip each way to Toronto and a shop called Tandy Leather had 12 full hides of black cowhide from Italy, we went through them all and picked out 4 for our job.  Four hides gives the installer about 160 square feet, could be enough left over for a Buick ottoman.  Next I must order a batch of curled, washed horsehair for stuffing, there are two places in central Ohio who have it.

The photo is Bev and I learning the warp and weft concerning leather, a nice lady who helped us snapped the pic.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2493.JPG

DSC_2496.JPG

• Like 3

Arrived home after driving our pickup truck 3275 kms or 2035 miles to the Mississippi delta to explore towns like Tupelo and Clarksdale and enjoy live blues music in old time juke joints.  The reason I post to this weblog is because I did not pack any tools, not a screwdriver or locking pliers, just a snow brush.  I thought there is nothing I can repair if something broke anyway so why bring stuff.  It seems to be a reliable vehicle even though it is 10 years old and turned 145,000 kms ( about 90,000 miles).

In the photo is the truck with my wife, Bev, at the crossroads of Hwy 61 and 49.  This crossroads is immortalized in blue's music history as the location where Robert Johnson is believe to have sold his soul to the Devil in exchange to be able to play guitar.

As an aside we prowled Beale Street in Memphis Friday and Saturday, my wife has never wanted to go to Memphis before but she had a great time.  These are the best years.  Gary

DSC_2628.JPG

• Like 3

I received my copy of the Antique Automobile this week and was pleasantly surprized to find a report from last September's Lansing to Dearborn Run.  A very interesting write-up by Paul Sloan, Paul is a young man of about 30 years old I would guess, does not own a car which qualifies for this tour but he is a partner in organizing the run with the Grace's.

There are seven pictures with the story and they show easy driving conditions without 18 wheelers trying to climb up our exhaust pipe or distracted driver's crashing into us.  One large photo is our friends, Larry and Joyce Schramm, top down, hats on, and smiling broadly motoring along in their 1913 Model 31 Buick.  It's a keeper.  Here is my photo of the Schramm car at one of the stops taken the same day.

Regards, Gary

DSC_1769.JPG

• Like 2

As registrations roll in for our Snapper's tour Bev and I work on destinations and routes, one trip is giving my problems.  Thursday is a long drive, I am trying to keep the day at a 100 miles but I have to find a way to cross 2 rivers and avoid 4.7 miles of fairly busy two lane highway and the destination is 40 miles from the hotel.

We are stopping at a retirement home and they are providing us with a "nutritious snack" mid morning.  Lunch is hosted by Roger and Eleanor Hadfield on Stag Island in the St Clair River.  They have had this cottage for 60 years and this is where Chris Hadfield watched the moon landing in 1969 and where he told himself he wanted to be an astronaut.  Then a guided tour of a large heritage type museum, at least an hour maybe two.  I do not yet know how we are going to get all the activities accomplished and a 40 mile drive straight back to Chatham.  Supper is on your own, some may stop along the way or pick something up and eat in the room, hospitality room is open.

In the photos are a bridge and flooded river we must cross and a light drizzle Sunday afternoon on the St Clair River.  Still, a good problem to have, too much to do.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2720.JPG

DSC_2726.JPG

• Like 2

On page 4 of owning, fixing and driving weblog there are pictures and a story of a 1929 Packard ambulance formerly owned and operated by the Detroit Fire Dept.  The truck has received it's rad back from California with a new core to replace the one which was damaged when a water pump shaft broke into 2 parts.  Today, Friday, I helped Classic Coachworks install the rad and hood.

Since the truck has to travel back to Virginia on an open trailer, because it is so tall, Stan and the owner must find an acceptable time and weather for the trip.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2735.JPG

• Like 1

It sure looks different when I saw it back in the early fall when Stan had sent the rad out.

I liked his ingenuity of blocking the water passage, filling it with coolant to be able to drive it in and out of the shop when he needed the bay to work on something else.

Beats trying the push the beast around. 😏

IMG_6189.thumb.JPG.781fef86985448346585291c8d5b75f5.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)

On July 15th Bev and I are taking the Snapper's Summer Tour to Rondeau Provincial Park for nature day and today we visited and asked some questions.  In the first photo is a road the Park Warden closed many years ago to protect creatures like snakes and turtles, I am making a case for him to be able to open the road for our brass era cars for a few hours.  He wants to and I have to assure him we would be slow, careful and thankful for his consideration.

In the next photo is the picnic shelter we rented for our gourmet lunch.  There is excellent parking, modern washrooms and the park store nearby.  Next a snap of prairie grass leading to the beach on Lake Erie and finally a giant, weathered tree on the very edge of Rondeau Bay.   Rondeau Park celebrated it's 125th anniversary last year, It will be lovely to be there in July.  Regards, Gary

DSC_2742.JPG

DSC_2794.JPG

DSC_2767.JPG

DSC_2795.JPG

• Like 2

Restoring vehicles in 2020, a philosophy.  A car can only be original, once.  Full stop, and that is why they are sought out and beautiful.  When restoring cars to a certain period, like my 1915 McLaughlin, I have to choose modern day alterations due to current public tastes and which materials are available.  My car is getting new upholstery and I wanted to install leather door checks even though there is no sign the car "originally" had them.  I changed the car from the way it left the factory to the way it should have been delivered to the customer.  I should lose points in judging at the AACA or BCA but I will not because the car should have door stops, in 2020 it looks natural and will not be questioned.

I visited my friend, Stan, a professional car guy and we worked out a method of attaching the parts and he agreed in my decision to improve the McLaughlin.  While I was there we discussed one of his projects, a '23 Gray Dort.  The literature calls for a gold stripe just below the beltline and we both thought it would look to garish for 2020 tastes and perhaps a pale yellow or custard against dark blue paint could be called gold.

In the photos are the check straps, rear door open and closed.  Also notice my use of t nuts, blind fasteners, instead of screws.  I can remove the door for repairs if necessary and they are stronger than screws in wood.  Big improvement from "original", it is restored not original.  The car is not modified either, it does not have a v8, automatic transmission and mag wheels.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2802.JPG

DSC_2805.JPG

• Like 1

These are side curtains I received with the 1915 McLaughlin project and though they are slightly faded and have a few very small holes from wear I will not replace them.  I plan to have the car judged by the AACA, maybe this May in Auburn, In and I should lose some points for condition but not all the points for not having side curtains.  For touring they will be perfect to keep Bev and I out of the weather when the inevitable cold and wet happens.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2814.JPG

DSC_2817.JPG

• Like 2

I would like to have my McLaughlin judged this spring and I have two and a half months to get it ready before the cutoff.  I've spent a lot of effort and money on parts of the car which do not show such as fitting modern bearing and seals in the axles to make the car dependable but that does not add a farthing in judging.  On the other hand if parts were showing signs they were nickel plated I stepped up and had the parts replated, even though they could have been painted and looked fine.  Sometime I just like what I like and I really like to use cocoa mat for the rear carpet.  So far the only source for this 1/2" thick mat is in California and they get $18.00 per square foot and I would use 15', black carpet seems like something I would choose.  Cocoa mat looks so good and it is only money, I can get money but would I resent cheaping out?  Don't know.

I don't really know much about judging, I should lose points for my old tires, I do not have any original tools or owner's manual.  My car, since it is Canadian, has this great tool box and nickel plated headlamp parts which American Buicks do not have.  I can't prove they are original except there they are.  This judging is a one time event, I hope to make first junior but at least I will get my Century Club medallion and declare " That's done."

Below are photos of the tool box ready to be covered in leather, a detail of extra plating and the headlamps which add a look of flash to the front of the car.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2820.JPG

DSC_2824.JPG

DSC_1021.JPG

• Like 1

Looking good Gary!

Noticed the Willistead Classic car Show plate.

I miss that show.

Always thought Rod Larson, his dad and the committee did a nice job with it.

Of course they had Hiram Walkers as sponsors then which really helped with the budget for very nice trophy's, the dinners and the announcers for the awards pass through.

I brought Dad's Nash that year & the next which is now mine.

335435358_1951Nash-WillisteadClassicCarShow1990.thumb.jpg.51884649eebb064dccec8bdd4aba1dc9.jpg

I think he drove his Whippet also but this was 1991 with the wife of a fellow car owner of a 1928 Vellie sedan (Jim Onslow).

127117796_CCI20180218_0001-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.7eff5f8af0f6f16795c6a0a0109bbda9.jpg

Keep your progress posted.

• Thanks 1

Working on old cars and learning a new skill.  Yesterday, Pat, my upholsterer brought to my workshop a diamond tufted pattern he laid out and sewed for my 1915 McLaughlin touring car.  We installed buttons and stuffed them as if it was the finished product and started to install it in the car's front seat.  When it is fitted to the car he will see what alterations need to be made, then the same system of pattern making for the rear seat back before he slices into the actual leather.  So far it's great, I even like the colour and the care Pat is taking so the job turns out beautifully.

Pictures are self evident except for the 5 pound box of curled, washed horsehair I purchased from Weaver's Leather Supply in Ohio.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2827.JPG

DSC_2828.JPG

DSC_2831.JPG

DSC_2833.JPG

DSC_2834.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 4:59 PM, cxgvd said:

I would like to have my McLaughlin judged this spring and I have two and a half months to get it ready before the cutoff.  I've spent a lot of effort and money on parts of the car which do not show such as fitting modern bearing and seals in the axles to make the car dependable but that does not add a farthing in judging.  On the other hand if parts were showing signs they were nickel plated I stepped up and had the parts replated, even though they could have been painted and looked fine.  Sometime I just like what I like and I really like to use cocoa mat for the rear carpet.  So far the only source for this 1/2" thick mat is in California and they get $18.00 per square foot and I would use 15', black carpet seems like something I would choose.  Cocoa mat looks so good and it is only money, I can get money but would I resent cheaping out?  Don't know.

I don't really know much about judging, I should lose points for my old tires, I do not have any original tools or owner's manual.  My car, since it is Canadian, has this great tool box and nickel plated headlamp parts which American Buicks do not have.  I can't prove they are original except there they are.  This judging is a one time event, I hope to make first junior but at least I will get my Century Club medallion and declare " That's done."

Below are photos of the tool box ready to be covered in leather, a detail of extra plating and the headlamps which add a look of flash to the front of the car.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2820.JPG

DSC_2824.JPG

DSC_1021.JPG

See what you can get in an indoor/outdoor area rug made in the coco materiel  - that is how we did it last time 

• Thanks 1