65 Riviera right vent cable

crowvet

I wonder if every new Riviera owner ends up asking as many questions of you guys as I do? This time, I am working on the right vent at the kick panel. The vent is in nice shape, and opens and closes freely. I can see the cable is broke, and If I hold it together I can get it to move the door somewhat. Is there a good source for the cable? Non A/C car. Also what is the best way into the control head to change it? Thanks in advance.

Daryle 

Those are basic bowden cables.  I'm sure you can find one the same length with the same loops on each end.  I might be easiest to tie the new one to the old one and fish it through. One place I'd start to look for one would be at a motorcycle repair shop.

The outer sheath on my hot air supply cable on my 68 has broken away from the back of the AC control module. After I turn the wheel up to open the hot air door I then have to go under the hood to move the lever by hand to open the door flap.

The wheel will close the door, just not open it.

It's such a PITA to remove the AC controls from the dash. When you do all of the rubber vacuum hoses come off their nipples. Reseating those correctly is also a PITA. Thank God for the service manual!

I have been wondering the same thing about getting the cable replaced and where to get a replacement unit.

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

13 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

The outer sheath on my hot air supply cable on my 68 has broken away from the back of the AC control module. After I turn the wheel up to open the hot air door I then have to go under the hood to move the lever by hand to open the door flap.

The wheel will close the door, just not open it.

It's such a PITA to remove the AC controls from the dash. When you do all of the rubber vacuum hoses come off their nipples. Reseating those correctly is also a PITA. Thank God for the service manual!

I have been wondering the same thing about getting the cable replaced and where to get a replacement unit.

My outer sheathing has broke in half down the cable where I can get to it. I am going to try to splint it back together with Popsicle sticks, zip ties, and JB weld. LOL.. I found some places that sell all three cables for around $90... Good luck  on yours, I will let you know if my splint works.

On 12/17/2018 at 1:04 PM, crowvet said:

I wonder if every new Riviera owner ends up asking as many questions of you guys as I do? 

Daryle 

Daryle,

the wonderful thing about this forum is the wealth of knowledge that lots of the contributors have. More importantly is that the members offer their advice freely and without any put downs or making you feel stupid. Sure you might get 27 different ways to skin the cat, but just choose the one with the best fit.

Rivieras are complex vehicles and over engineered when you read some history and articles on how they came to fruition. So no question is too many or too simple or irrelevant in my opinion.

Besides, its great to offer new owners some help when you have had the same problem with your own Riviera. And it is often the same series of problems that keep popping up.

just my two bobs worth from down under,

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Daryle,

the wonderful thing about this forum is the wealth of knowledge that lots of the contributors have. More importantly is that the members offer their advice freely and without any put downs or making you feel stupid. Sure you might get 27 different ways to skin the cat, but just choose the one with the best fit.

Rivieras are complex vehicles and over engineered when you read some history and articles on how they came to fruition. So no question is too many or too simple or irrelevant in my opinion.

Besides, its great to offer new owners some help when you have had the same problem with your own Riviera. And it is often the same series of problems that keep popping up.

just my two bobs worth from down under,

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

Thanks Rodney, I have been amazed at everyone's willingness to help. This forum has been a very enjoyable place both for fun and for support, thank all of you for your wealth of knowledge, to keep another Riv on the road.