Ford Country Squire

kalve

49 minutes ago, kalve said:

ok so its just a Country Squire not a Fairlane or Galaxie? What problems should I look for on this car? It says has 390 & auto trans & looks like it has factory a/c. 

Sitting in a field for who knows how long, I would think the list of possible problems is a lot longer that the good news things.  At least the body looks somewhat sound.  How rusty are the floors and underside?  AC looks like a bolt on aftermarket unit.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, kalve said:

What problems should I look for on this car? 

Rust rust and rust. Sitting outside with the frame rails on the ground I would bet a cup of coffee that everything below the doors is rotten. These are not very expensive cars I bet you can find a decent one that will be closer to be running that is not too crazy expensive. Look at the way the rear axle is on the passenger side. Spring mounts gone? Frame damage? Thats more than just the car sitting at an angle. I would look at the bottom very carefully on a car that has been sitting like that for too long.

A/C is aftermarket but common for the period.

• Like 1

Country Squire had the ersatz wood trim. This car is a Country Sedan, which was the next rung down from the Country Squire.

This car has the look of a money pit. If you want one of these, I think you can do better for not a lot of money

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5219 said:

Country Squire had the ersatz wood trim. This car is a Country Sedan, which was the next rung down from the Country Squire.

I agree it’s not a Country Squire. The Country Squire had the imitation wood paneling on the sides and tailgate.

Kevin

• Like 1

A car that has been sitting like that is a very tough project to put back on the road, especially for a beginner. You would be far better off to buy a better car, one that is already running and registered for the road and in good condition. Even if it costs thousands of dollars more, it would be a bargain. Compared to what it would cost in time and money to resurrect a car like that. It is very easy to underestimate how much work an old car needs, even for someone who has been through the mill a few times and knows how to do his own work. And if you have to hire a mechanic it will cost way more than buying a good car to begin with.

I'll say I instantly judged the car when looking at the first picture and the remaining pictures actually made me more hopeful. Still it would be an expensive one to do. If you're just looking to get it on the road you might do okay, but if you're considering doing much more cosmetic work than washing off the algae then I would look for a different car. If the motor doesn't turn by with a wrench at all then I'd probably have to say this one is left for parts or racing.

To be road worthy: Tires, brakes and lines, gas tank, carb rebuild, all fluid's flushed (including dif and PS). If you're like me, you'll start out with that intention and then go too far and want to restore it. Then it's just a matter of time, space, money, and passion. I would strongly encourage you to buy a car that you can drive and enjoy as is before getting into such a project because it does get old not having an old car when going to old car shows and always just talking about projects. Let us know how we can help!

11 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Look at the bottom edge of the windshield and if it is rusty around there it would leak water, and be so difficult to repair it would not be worth buying it.

And if that checks out OK, jack it way up in the air and look at the underside, see if the floor is rusty? If the floor or underside looks very rusty than don't buy it.

Then if you're still considering it at that point, look the rest over to see if it's good enough you could live with it.

It will take a lot of mechanical work to get it back on the road. If it needs rust repair too, then forget it, not worth it even if it were free.

I think this is very good advice.  I'll add one more though.  If you (the original poster) are inexperienced, this is a perfect car to learn your skills.  You will have an opportunity to exercise your diagnostic skills, learn how metal welds and how it doesn't weld and probably just as important, you will learn all the tricks to searching for scarce parts and cataloging parts that you remove from the car.  

Don't make the mistake I did trying my hand first on a 1931 Duesenberg.  I took every nut and bolt off that car and lost stuff to boot.  I eventually gave up and sold it to someone who I think made a rat-rod out of it; total waste of a good car.  Wait, did I say Duesenberg?  I meant 1971 Datsun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

Years ago Mom told my Brother I bought a Ferrari. Boy was he disappointed when he found out it was a Volare.

Back in the 80's, I told everyone my mom bought a brand new Vette.   Only when they came over to visit, or she went to visit someone I mentioned it to, did they get to see her brand new Chevette.

Craig

Looking to buy a wagon in a few months get something for a daily driver & then get a old Econoline & 4wd it for winter & hauling. Found some wagons in better shape than this for around the same price. I just could not find out what year it was the grill did not look like a 68 were it did not have hide away headlights.

8 hours ago, kalve said:

I just could not find out what year it was the grill did not look like a 68 were it did not have hide away headlights.

Only the LTD's, XL's, and Country Squire  models had hideaway headlights that year, with a die-cast grille.  Galaxie's, Custom/Custom 500's, and Country Sedans such as the subject car had the stamped aluminum grille with exposed headlights.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there a way to find out if a particular VIN is still registered somewhere? I have the original purchase paperwork including Monroney for my father's 1965 Country Squire. I have Googled the VIN and no hits. Guessing it was likely junked years ago but have a little piece of history if the car is still alive.