Mesh vs Carbon brushes in starter or generator

Dodge1934

I have a 1919 Northway engine with a gear driven generator and "copper" mesh brushes...  it is a REMY model 307A 

I have had several of these engines and have only ever had 2 generators one of which has a broken casting.

When I opened up the one complete generator the brush area looked like it had had an unhappy life... sorry no pictures of this.

I disassembles the unit and cleaned it up but  was surprised to see mesh brushes ( First car this old) but on careful examination I noticed the edges of all 4 brushes were frayed... see picture... My thoughought was that this maybe causing the brush to be effectively too wide and when it is touching the armature it could be touching up to 3 sections of the armature rather than  just 1 section. Would this or does this cause grief for the generator in some way? 

I am thinking that I should update to carbon type brushes . Does anybody have any experience doing this and was it a good result?

I don`t believe this engine had very many miles on it at all based on the conditions of some of the parts I have collected off of it.

I would be pleased to hear your thoughts

Don

copper mesh brush1.jpg

copper mesh brush2.jpg

copper mesh brush4.jpg

• 7 months later...

Brushes come in different copper to carbon mixes. Higher carbon the softer the brush. Starters require higher copper mixes. Generators  and alternators require higher carbon.In the case of this Remy starter they used as original equipment a mesh type. They eventually switched to the solid type that we are all used to seeing. The copper to carbon mixture did not change just the design appearance.