twin6

Then and now: where did these prewar cars go?

Bob and Walt, That barrel hood Franklin is a 1910 Model H and is in a private collection.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:17 AM, twin6 said:

Where is this car today?  A steamer made up by a Mr. Benoit, with a Stanley engine mounted forward of the firewall.  He called it a Stan-Ben.  Does the car survive, or was it dismantled and used as a donor for other projects?

Stan-Ben.jpg

Wow...I haven't seen that in years. Stanley Benoit lived in southern RI - around Exeter or West Greenwich – in a trailer next to his garage. He built miniature steam locomotives in the garage - one per year - which he sold for $30,000 each. That was a lot of money in the early 70s (It's still a lot of money to me). I visited him there. The Stan-Ben steamer was all apart having been rear ended on Main Street in East Greenwich, RI. I seem to remember he told me it was a 1928 Pontiac chassis. The engine was one of the larger Stanley's (20 HP?). Since I was in my 20s at the time and he must have been in his late 60s or 70s he must be long gone now and I too have wondered what became of the car.

Yes, it had a 20 hp Stanley engine, good memory.  Maybe the car will surface someday!