Then and now: where did these prewar cars go?

twin6

On 1/20/2020 at 9:17 AM, twin6 said:

Where is this car today?  A steamer made up by a Mr. Benoit, with a Stanley engine mounted forward of the firewall.  He called it a Stan-Ben.  Does the car survive, or was it dismantled and used as a donor for other projects?

Stan-Ben.jpg

Wow...I haven't seen that in years. Stanley Benoit lived in southern RI - around Exeter or West Greenwich – in a trailer next to his garage. He built miniature steam locomotives in the garage - one per year - which he sold for $30,000 each. That was a lot of money in the early 70s (It's still a lot of money to me). I visited him there. The Stan-Ben steamer was all apart having been rear ended on Main Street in East Greenwich, RI. I seem to remember he told me it was a 1928 Pontiac chassis. The engine was one of the larger Stanley's (20 HP?). Since I was in my 20s at the time and he must have been in his late 60s or 70s he must be long gone now and I too have wondered what became of the car.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 10:10 AM, Dave Henderson said:

Though I didn't know it at the time when I photoed this quite a few years ago, it's a Spohn-customized Chrysler.  It looked like it was on the way out, chances of it being in existence at this time seem slim.

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

This Spohn Custom based on a Chrysler remains unknown to this day and I agree, it was likely not repaired after the fender bender.   There is a '55 Dodge tail in the frontal photo so assuming this is a body shop, the time frame is likely late '50s.   I have the '52 Spohn Palos in restoration.

Assembly time.jpg

• Like 1