twin6

Then and now: where did these prewar cars go?

Recommended Posts

I see a couple of other little telltale differences, too, now that I look again.  Darn...  Did discover that the Rhinehart car was bought around 1967, by Vernon Unger of Winchester, VA.  He advertised it for sale in 1992, still looking very much like the 1956 photo, above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This 1967 photo shows H. D. Thompson, left, and Bill Carmichael, center, involved with a 1923 Stanley that they owned.  (A 7-passenger touring, presumably a Model 740B.)  They lived in Jackson, TN, and the car was scheduled to participate in the Mid-America Old Time Auto Association meet there on June 15-18, hosted by the West Tennessee Antique Car Club.  The car was said to have been found in Florida, where it had "been left by a retired gentleman from the east."  The car sold out of Mrs. H D Thompson's estate in 1983.

 

Any ideas who may have had it before & after Thompson?

 

1967-05-23_JacksonTNSun_Thompson.thumb.jpg.c3ca254096a957a8fba88ee1a61434d9.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a47686725_2025446634238266_1522283001231179776_n.thumb.jpg.6a7a5e1420d27ad475c415408cbfcdbd.jpg.032fabcbf117135f7f403cbfbaa91eca.jpg.6281ed7747c4dfb76d9961f9c566cd31.jpgt

I referenced this Packard photo today on the ID page and  thought this page is a good place to "park" it.  Notice the car on the right with the American flag top boot, the white painted Dual Cowl and sidemounted on the far left (and in front of the Dual Cowl is a rear mounted trunk car with a rear spare, plus to the left of that is another sidemounted touring with stylish trunk on rear.   A surprising number of light painted cars and a surprising amount of rear spare tire cars.  All cars appear to be licensed and plenty have owner's "touches" to them.  I am not sure what the event would be, though it though it had to be in a very large city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

a47686725_2025446634238266_1522283001231179776_n.thumb.jpg.6a7a5e1420d27ad475c415408cbfcdbd.jpg.032fabcbf117135f7f403cbfbaa91eca.jpg.6281ed7747c4dfb76d9961f9c566cd31.jpgt

I referenced this Packard photo today on the ID page and  thought this page is a good place to "park" it.  Notice the car on the right with the American flag top boot, the white painted Dual Cowl and sidemounted on the far left (and in front of the Dual Cowl is a rear mounted trunk car with a rear spare, plus to the left of that is another sidemounted touring with stylish trunk on rear.   A surprising number of light painted cars and a surprising amount of rear spare tire cars.  All cars appear to be licensed and plenty have owner's "touches" to them.  I am not sure what the event would be, though it though it had to be in a very large city.

Look at how tight some of those top boot covers are!  There is no way a top is actually inside them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The city is Los Angeles and the event is a parade honoring Charles A. Lindbergh.  Date was September 1927.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 10:59 PM, gossp said:

Look at how tight some of those top boot covers are!  There is no way a top is actually inside them. 

The problem tends to be that when the cars are restored the upholsterers want a much thicker pad in the top (helps with "look" of top) and that is why you are use to seeing giant piles of fabric on the back of restored cars today.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The photo shows what is purported to be an 1899 Serial No. 1 Locomobile (Stanley). The photo was taken in 1948 at the home of Edwin Battison in Windsor, Vermont. 

 

Yes, the car still exists as does an early Stanley that climbed Mount Washington on August 31, 1949,  in 4 hours 40 minutes.

 

Battison and his automobiles make for a fascinating read...  https://www.battisonmuseum.org/copy-of-cast-of-character-part-1---mentoring

 

7981879_Stanley_SerialNo1.thumb.jpg.06a55a9f2aeb2d11d79f6deaba204f17.jpg

 

I do hope his collection is saved. (Ed Battison was the founder of the American Precision Museum in Windsor, VT.,  where I served as executive director served as the museum's first executive director after Battison's tenure ended.) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, automuseum said:

 

The photo shows what is purported to be an 1899 Serial No. 1 Locomobile (Stanley). The photo was taken in 1948 at the home of Edwin Battison in Windsor, Vermont. 

 

Yes, the car still exists as does an early Stanley that climbed Mount Washington on August 31, 1949,  in 4 hours 40 minutes.

 

Battison and his automobiles make for a fascinating read...  https://www.battisonmuseum.org/copy-of-cast-of-character-part-1---mentoring

 

7981879_Stanley_SerialNo1.thumb.jpg.06a55a9f2aeb2d11d79f6deaba204f17.jpg

 

I do hope his collection is saved. (Ed Battison was the founder of the American Precision Museum in Windsor, VT.,  where I served as executive director served as the museum's first executive director after Battison's tenure ended.) 

 

 

The Loco was features on "American Pickers" along with the Battison Collection withint he last month or so. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are Park C. Skipper (L) and Jack Skelding (R) with Skipper's 1918 Packard and a 1931 (?) Lincoln, in Clearwater, FL in 1954.  I'd love to know where the Packard went.

1954.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Packard isn’t listed on the Online Packards list by his name, but I think it has to be one of them there..........it’s too rare of a car for it not to be known from time to time in the clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why I posted it, hoping someone following the thread would recall the owner, or a car fitting that description in that location so we could add that name to the online roster page for a surviving car.  Odds are the car is on the roster, but we've never known which car it is.  The Stanley roster keeper and I have dozens of photos like these, of cars we know exist but for which we cannot make the connection without the help of others so another name can be added to the car's provenance.  Clubs like A-C-D and RROC have had great records on ownership for a very long time, setting a kind of gold standard.  For those of us working on other marques that got by comparison a late start, there is a lot of work to do and we need help.  Hopefully others who have photos from decades ago will feel welcome and be motivated to post them here and reap the benefit of the collective knowledge of the followers, regardless of marque.  I didn't set out to make this a thread limited to specific marques, but admit its focus has only been as broad as the photos posted and we just happen to have a lot of Packard and Stanley photos from 50+ years ago!  We need others to share old photos and knowledge of specific vehicles to help make this work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't resist adding one of my favorite shots, that barn find Stanley after it was restored by John Ray Lyman, being driven by then-owner Zacheus Cande on the 1963 Glidden.  The car was lately in the automobile collection at the Grandson Castle, in Switzerland.  That museum closed very recently - has anyone heard what happened to the cars?

GliddenHill.thumb.jpg.a9aa986819e981f83cdc62c538b66290.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A car I never saw, but have been asked about many times: this 1924 Mercedes was owned by Charlie Arnholm, who ran a motel in Barre, VT. He ran the car in the 50's and 60's, and probably parted with it by the early 1970's.  Does anyone know where it is today, and maybe have a recent photo to share?

Arnholm.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freshly-discovered photo of a Duesenberg supercharged convertible sedan.  The back says "1934 Duseenberg 1934 supercharged, John Seelinger, owner, sold at time of photo for $1500."

 

Skirted front fenders that come low over the tires, sidemounts, flat windshield, no vent windows, center door handles, unskirted rear fenders, integrated trunk - I can't find one like it in a quick internet search.

Duesenberg_Seelinger.thumb.jpg.d1e4483815fc2df7effcd071f9cfa2e6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/10/2019 at 6:08 AM, twin6 said:

Another '13 Lozier I assume is still around.  Photos from the 1950's, I believe, Alberta, Canada.  Thank you Lozierman and others for helping ID cars from long ago.

a.jpg

b.jpg

This was Charlie Parker of Red Deer Alberta. I have no idea what happened to his cars. A very nice man.

 

Edited by 13White (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 13White said:

This was Charlie Parker or Red Deer Alberta. I have no idea what happened to his cars. A very nice man.

 

 

 

What is that on the front of the Lozier? Some kind of air operated starter??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 50th Annual Red Deer Swap Meet is coming up on Friday, May 3, Saturday, May 4th, which is hosted by C.A.V.A.C.  https://vintageautoclub.ca/ 

 

I'm sure someone can find out more information there.

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, StanleyRegister said:

Freshly-discovered photo of a Duesenberg supercharged convertible sedan.  The back says "1934 Duseenberg 1934 supercharged, John Seelinger, owner, sold at time of photo for $1500."

 

Skirted front fenders that come low over the tires, sidemounts, flat windshield, no vent windows, center door handles, unskirted rear fenders, integrated trunk - I can't find one like it in a quick internet search.

Duesenberg_Seelinger.thumb.jpg.d1e4483815fc2df7effcd071f9cfa2e6.jpg

 

You will have to keep looking, with a twist.  I understand the body is now on a different chassis, and the chassis now sports a different body. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, maybe neither of the owners would be that interested...  it's not really a photo of their car.  It would be an interesting story about why they chose to make 2 Duesenbergs out of 2 Duesenbergs.  Sure looks like one humdinger of a long chassis!  If it got a roadster body it must be pretty impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Packard 840 touring, probably in the 1950's judging from attire.  There aren't many of these around, so maybe someone will know where this one ended up.

tires.jpg

Edited by twin6
correction (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like they are trying to get rid of old stock tires on their display. Most look to be 1920s-early 1930s sizes. I remember the wrapped 16" and 15" tires looking skinny at the time but not that skinny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I vaguely  recall seeing a article in a 1960's Antique Automobile about a fire that destroyed several classic Packard's including if I remember correctly FDR's parade car. Any one have any further info ?

 

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...