twin6

Then and now: where did these prewar cars go?

Erska, I think this car from the group of photos you posted a few days ago, was Art Austria's 1913 Simplex, a car that has a slightly different look now and has been shown at Pebble Beach in the not too distant past. I'm not doing well identifying any other from the group, but maybe someone will chime in.

54517726_carshowphotoslarry3.thumb.jpg.bb1a1cfb492def30004408b4c1f4ffcf (2).jpg

11 hours ago, twin6 said:

Erska, I think this car from the group of photos you posted a few days ago, was Art Austria's 1913 Simplex, a car that has a slightly different look now and has been shown at Pebble Beach in the not too distant past. I'm not doing well identifying any other from the group, but maybe someone will chime in.

54517726_carshowphotoslarry3.thumb.jpg.bb1a1cfb492def30004408b4c1f4ffcf (2).jpg

I'm glad to know some of these cars photographed in the '50s still exist and are known in AACA.  If any of their current owners would like a high resolution scan of their car's old photo, please send me a private message through the forum system.

9 hours ago, Erska said:

If any of their current owners would like a high resolution scan of their car's old photo, please send me a private message through the forum system.

Thank you for offering this service.  I know many who like to have a detailed historical record of their vehicle, including old show photographs of it from earlier years.

Craig

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 10:58 PM, StanleyRegister said:

Couldn't resist adding this.  A few years later, a bunch of guys thought it would be fun to recreate this Peter Helck painting in real life.

1953-14-3_BH_Helck_setup.thumb.jpg.ad1724ec58ee5e89021b459c4776cec8.jpg

Clarence Huggins, with his back to the camera, was a larger than life character who had a Pope Hartford for at least 20 years, that he toured in frequently.  Not sure where exactly this ended up, but I believe it's on the west coast somewhere.  Clarence was a very dedicated member of the Profile Automobile League in NH (the PAL's),  never camera shy, and always up for a gag.  Here's an example from the club's magazine "Splash Pan."

1949.jpg

Huggins.jpg

Craig:

Thank you for the comment. I know of many who would like the same. I also know of those who could care less about documenting of their cars past. Several of our local upholstery shops in Chambersburg did work on many antiques in the 1950s and 60s. They kept "Brag Books" to show potential customers what their skill were on other cars. Before, during and after photos. I had seen some of them in the 1980s. The place that did the top on my 1925 Master touring car had one of those books. They threw it away when the owner retired.

The family I bought my 1925 Master from did not have one photo of the car before, during or after it was "fixed up". Also, they had the car for over 50 years!  Many times the only photo documentation we have of cars are those taken by spectators at meets and car shows.

I would love to have a few photos of my 1925s in their former lives. When I first bought my 1925 Standard in 2011, I made a plea on the forum if anyone knew any back round on my car. I posted all the photos of the car I had in hopes of someone recognizing it.

I was told by the former owner that he bought it from either Wisconsin or Minnesota. (I would have remembered) That would have been around 2000 or 2001. So far no leads.

I'm sure this tow vehicle is well known today. In 1964 when this photo was taken, B.C. Hartline owned this Duesenberg. What does it look like today? 

IMG_20190207_173127023_HDR.jpg

• Thanks 1

Some photos I believe were taken in the 1950's, for the Buick enthusiasts.  Does anyone know who owned these?

Buick 1.jpg

MA 35.jpg

• Like 1

Here is another classic Packard from mid-1950s Los Angeles.  The story I was told is that my father owned this dual-cowl phaeton in original condition, then sold it to someone who restored it.  The photos are after the restoration.  Is it a 1932 model?  An eight?  Still around?  

packard phaeton.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

No - car should look the same unless it has been restored in the last year 

Unless it was restored in the past year, this should be the late B.C. Hartline, Late Jim Schneck  car, and I do not know when it was done, but only J Duesnebery I have seen where everything aluminum under hood is engine turned. download.jpg.d3943b839169abe5f0626ca376612482.jpg

(engine J-525, chassis 2555)  supercharged Duesenberg Model SJ  Brunn Riviera Convertible Torpedo Sedan

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 2/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, Erska said:

Here is another classic Packard from mid-1950s Los Angeles.  The story I was told is that my father owned this dual-cowl phaeton in original condition, then sold it to someone who restored it.  The photos are after the restoration.  Is it a 1932 model?  An eight?  Still around? 

Yes, a 1932 model 903 DeLuxe Eight sport phaeton.  I'm sure it's still around, but do not know where it is today.  Thanks for sharing some great photos!

On 2/8/2019 at 5:57 PM, John_Mereness said:

Unless it was restored in the past year, this should be the late B.C. Hartline, Late Jim Schneck  car, and I do not know when it was done, but only J Duesnebery I have seen where everything aluminum under hood is engine turned. download.jpg.d3943b839169abe5f0626ca376612482.jpg

(engine J-525, chassis 2555)  supercharged Duesenberg Model SJ  Brunn Riviera Convertible Torpedo Sedan

John, you are correct. The car when I saw it last year was what we would call a well maintained original, has the look of a ten year old well used car. I wouldn’t change a thing! Great car and a great family. I believe Jim’s son is the current caretaker.  

Interestingly, we were discussing this car yesterday at dinner and this morning at breakfast. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ed, Is there something special about the top on the Hartman Duesenberg? It looks like is folds up nicely and is totally hidden. Does the Gould car carry the same body? Bob 

Duesenberg-J-Brunn-Riviera-Convertible-Sedan-71989.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed, Is there something special about the top on this Duesenberg? It looks like is folds up nicely and is totally hidden. Bob 

If its the Duesenberg I'm thinking of, the rear has a hinged cast aluminum clamshell which neatly conceals the top when it is lowered.

Craig

• Like 1

Yes, the whole rear of the body tilts back and the top folds under it.   Brunn called it a Riviera phaeton.   Three were built I believe, and all three exist.  The tan car pictured above was originally black, and was a staple at early Northern & Central Ohio AACA, VMCCA, and CCCA events in the 1950's & 60's.   BC Hartline painted it tan in the 50's sometime, and he used to drive the hell out of it too.   It was not a trailer queen.   It still had the original brown leather interior in it last time I saw it.       

• Like 1

The disappearing top Duesenbergs are fantastic cars. Several body companies made them, Murphy was the most famous with something like 40 in total. 

On 2/11/2019 at 11:11 AM, edinmass said:

John, you are correct. The car when I saw it last year was what we would call a well maintained original, has the look of a ten year old well used car. I wouldn’t change a thing! Great car and a great family. I believe Jim’s son is the current caretaker.  

Interestingly, we were discussing this car yesterday at dinner and this morning at breakfast. 

Good to hear it is the same as just not anybody should ever restore it (takes a "right" person).  First Duesenberg that I ever really "experienced" on the road (as in Jim drove it like a real car) - we did probably 85mph for 15 or so blocks though Auburn, IN one midnight. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Steam cars from the James Melton Collection when it was in Florida. 1920's Stanley, White Stanley with Model a Ford wire wheels and a Toledo. Where are they all now? 

Bob 

DSCF9944.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

This photo was taken on Feb. 20, 1949, at an old car gathering in Florida.  It's a beautiful print - if you could send me a good scan, I'd really appreciate it.  Best I have is this grainy shot, taken at almost exactly the same time.

1949_gathering2.jpg.a689c14c3f030218e55214b5bffbe6c9.jpg

The two Stanleys, at least, are still in the same place.  The condensing car has been in the family since new.  The non-condenser has the curious "upgrade" of Ford wire wheels.

1949_gathering.jpg.77803e90d5d4859ea7f980b1ce90b3dd.jpg

Melton happened to attend this meet, as well as Bill Spear.  Both are shown here in the 10hp car.

The White was also bought new by the family, from the local White agent, who was Melton's uncle.  (!)

Thank you! I sent you a PM, as soon as I have your address the original; photo will be on its way. Do you have any info on the Toledo Steamer? Bob 

A 3rd series Eight Packard touring at the Old Car Festival in the 1960's.  There are fewer than 10 known to exist, none with this paint scheme.  Any ideas on whose this was back then, or now?

343.jpg

Looks like it was former AACA Director and President Len Rhinehart.  The 1968 AACA register shows him owning a 1927 343 7p touring, fully restored.  He restored it in 1955-56, and apparently drove the car a lot - 870 miles to the 1958 Lake Forest meet, and a 2,600 mile round trip through Greensboro, NC and Daytona in 1965.  Certainly could have driven it to Dearborn.  (Don't know what happened to the sidemount.)

1965-06-17_OrlandoSentinel_Rhinehart1.jpg.17e5763c8823ef38c2a6a3eab00af90d.jpg

1965-06-17_OrlandoSentinel_Rhinehart2.jpg.65ffa458e02c61fd79b6f93691437cb3.jpg

1956-20-3_AA_Rhinehart1.jpg.fbcaa94533846ca3872a132210a13516.jpg

1956-20-3_AA_Rhinehart2.thumb.jpg.02115e971968e6386c37cd8156185687.jpg

Edited by StanleyRegister
added sidemount sentence (see edit history)

The sidemount and bolt patterns on the wheels don't bode well for this to be a match, plus the cowl lights and band that were present in the 1950's and today on the Rhinehart car are absent in the 1960's era photo.  I think we're looking at two different cars. Thanks for the old pix from the 50's!