Then and now: where did these prewar cars go?

twin6

On 12/29/2018 at 2:37 PM, twin6 said:

Packard 1006 Individual Custom Dietrich sport phaeton, decades ago when owned by Bayard Badenhausen.  Not sure where this is today.

1006.jpg

New Years breakfast run!

3B3E3CD9-048D-4668-B797-196E4B242852.jpeg

147F10DA-2435-4331-9BAE-12AAD2202845.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, twin6 said:

Yes, and when he wakes up, time to say 3 Hail Mary's and his turn to post a 60+ year old snapshot to challenge the viewers.  I'm envious of that ride!

Per your request..........

IMG_8499.png

• Like 1

The 1911 Oldsmobile Autocrat from the 1948 Parade picture is currently owned by the gentleman that owns RM auctions. The car has not changed much since the picture. This and the Millers car are the only two 7 passenger Autocrats. 

Autocrat.JPG

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Curti said:

A 35-36 Auburn  that looks to be rode hard and put away wet.  Someone replaced the RV mirror.  Is that you in your younger rebellious days Ed?

No......in my younger days I was stuck on Cadillacs.......I was abused as a youth. Found my way to the world of Pierce Arrow next.......now I’m sort of a well rounded 30’s guy. 😎

57 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

This gem turned up on the HAMB today, can some Packard people tell us about it? Bob 

49508079_1115633601960079_4057936761127436288_n.jpg

Milan auto show, showing the 1933 Packards -- the so-called 10th Series, introduced (if I recall correctly) in January 1933.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

James Melton’s 1903 White steamer at an event, date not known.  You can see this car (and others) in motion, in the pre-race parade at Indy in 1946 here.  The oldest cars in the parade are, in order of appearance, an 1897 Roberts Electric, a 1900 curved dash Olds, Melton’s White, a 1908 Buick (smoking enough it looks like a Stanley), a 1910 model T, a 1910 Olds Limited, a 1913 Chevrolet and a Packard 2nd series twin six.  I’m familiar with some of these cars, but wonder if the Olds limited is one anyone can ID as to owner then or now.

There are other cars that followed the earliest, and I'll defer to others to identify those.

648 (2).JPG

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Could be a younger McGowan Brother. 

Bob 

Bob I bought new in box 30 /31Cadillac V8 distributer caps from the McGowan brothers at Hershey back in the 80s. For the unheard of price of $50. a pop. I still have one left. 

• Thanks 1

This is one of several pictures taken at the 1961 Pierce Arrow meet in North Conway, NH that I posted a few years back in the Pierce-Arrow forum. Someone asked about this car but there was never a response as to it's derivation or present location.  Anyone have any information?

PA6A.JPG

12 hours ago, twin6 said:

James Melton’s 1903 White steamer at an event, date not known.  You can see this car (and others) in motion, in the pre-race parade at Indy in 1946 here.  The oldest cars in the parade are, in order of appearance, an 1897 Roberts Electric, a 1900 curved dash Olds, Melton’s White, a 1908 Buick (smoking enough it looks like a Stanley), a 1910 model T, a 1910 Olds Limited, a 1913 Chevrolet and a Packard 2nd series twin six.  I’m familiar with some of these cars, but wonder if the Olds limited is one anyone can ID as to owner then or now.

There are other cars that followed the earliest, and I'll defer to others to identify those.

648 (2).JPG

The Oldsmobile Limited would have been James Melton's, he bought it with 4,000 original miles from an Olds dealer in Jefferson City Missouri

DSCF9530.JPG

Those photos are taken at the Museum of Science and Industry at 57th and Lakeshore Drive in Chicago. MSI was quite active in the old car scene during the 1940s through 1960s. Cameron Peck and Major Lenox Lohr were the key automotive figures at the museum during this period. The #6 boat tail race car near the water is a modified 1912'ish Model 32 Marmon. It is still part of MSI's collection.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

The #6 Marmon Model 32 race car as it looks today. The car was modified in the 1920s to its current configuration.  The frame has been shortened and it has 1920s era wheels, but otherwise the car comprises of correct c.1912 Marmon "32" components. The body was built in the 1920s. The car remains unchanged since these 1920s modifications.

During the 1933-34 World's Fair, it was shown and driven in the race car exhibition.

The indoor pictures show the car in its current museum exhibit. The outdoor photo was taken at the Milwaukee race track about 5-10 years ago. It's a neat car.

thumbnail_thumbnail_mm110201.jpg

40635314360_ce759a14b8_b.jpg

thumbnail_27573177257_d0c82c7061_b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0407.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

On 1/3/2019 at 9:30 PM, vermontboy said:

This is one of several pictures taken at the 1961 Pierce Arrow meet in North Conway, NH that I posted a few years back in the Pierce-Arrow forum. Someone asked about this car but there was never a response as to it's derivation or present location.  Anyone have any information?

PA6A.JPG

1925 series 33 owned then by Charles Thompson, South Tamworth, NH.  Don't know where it is today, sorry.  His wife's uncle was the original owner.

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

1925 series 33 owned then by Charles Thompson, South Tamworth, NH.  Don't know where it is today, sorry.  His wife's uncle was the original owner.

I have been in the Pierce Arrow Society on an off for 37 years, mostly on. Living in Massachusetts for 50 years, I have never seen the car, or heard of it. Unless the garage burned, I'm sure it's around. I have heard rumors of a large heated industrial building in the Vermont/New Hampshire area filled with great cars, of which I have seen a few when they were out on the road. It's possible the car ended up in the mystery garage. One of the mystery cars was a 1937 Packard V-12 sedan with 2300 miles on it, all original, even the tires. Rumors abound that they had Pierce Arrow's and Packards by the handful. Knowing the family last name, I have no doubt it is possible.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Guess I had the answer all along - found an article on the Mt Washington meet in an old Arrow I have - different view so I will post here. Also found another oddball in an article on the Highlands Inn meet in Carmel (Monterey Peninsula) back in 1963. Posting as I wonder if perhaps the same manufacturer would be involved (has to be a limited number of manufacturers interested in utility bodies for Pierce Arrows).

pa1.jpg

pa2.jpg

Here are a couple photos of Joe and Helen Murchio (sorry about image quality) from the 1950's.  They are seated in a Corbin, and the other car is one I can't identify but hope someone can.  Just recently learned he had a twin six in the 1940's, and I'm in touch with the current owner.  Where these other cars of his, today?

Murchio.jpg

Corbin.jpg

Here's a bigger photo of the Corbin in 1948.

1948-12-4_AntiqueAutomobile_Murchio_Corbin.thumb.jpg.e585904abbe85cabcc3802d51d744b72.jpg

A September 1949 list of cars in Murchio's museum included the Corbin.  (Unfortunately it didn't show any cars newer than a 1920 Locomobile.)  No later citations of Murchio through 1960 mentioned a Corbin.

A 1908 Corbin owned by John Dower climbed Giant's Despair in 1951.  And that's the final mention of an '08 Corbin I could find in the Antique Automobile.

At least one 1908 touring car is still in circulation -

https://www.theday.com/article/20180219/BIZ09/180219323

Mark V. Johnson, VP of the organization that puts on the show where the above photo was taken, wrote a book on Corbin in 2011.  He might have some insight.

The Bothwell Lozier was sold in 1972 to the Harrah collection.  It was displayed for several years and then sold during one of their several liquidation sales.  The current owner is the Nethercutt collection.  They restored it and put a Lakewood body on it.  It also now sports wire wheels.  As I understand, the "limo" body is still in their storage.

Ask me about any other Loziers, I can probably let you know their history and current status.  There are about 40 Loziers known, and only two or three have changed hands and I have lost track of the current owners.  Does anyone know of and Loziers?  I have maintained a list of owners for more than 40 years and besides a complete 1913 Model 77 Montclair, I also have a lot of parts of many years, hoping to someday put another one together.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lozierman said:

The Bothwell Lozier was sold in 1972 to the Harrah collection.  It was displayed for several years and then sold during one of their several liquidation sales.  The current owner is the Nethercutt collection.  They restored it and put a Lakewood body on it.  It also now sports wire wheels.  As I understand, the "limo" body is still in their storage.

Ask me about any other Loziers, I can probably let you know their history and current status.  There are about 40 Loziers known, and only two or three have changed hands and I have lost track of the current owners.  Does anyone know of and Loziers?  I have maintained a list of owners for more than 40 years and besides a complete 1913 Model 77 Montclair, I also have a lot of parts of many years, hoping to someday put another one together.

More Loziers here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?53399-Orphan-of-the-Day-08-05-1910-Lozier&highlight=lozier

and here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?65463-ID-this-car

Craig