Then and now: where did these prewar cars go?

twin6

Re the color Alberta photo - C. N. Parker of Red Deer, Alberta drove this car on the 1958 tour from Fernie to Vancouver.  He experienced magneto trouble which put him behind the other participants for a while, but he eventually caught up.  Maybe this photo is from part of the troubleshooting.

He also entered the car in a cross-Canada centennial tour in 1967, but the license plate was different at that time.

There's a small clue that this car moved to California in 2009, destination there unknown.

3 hours ago, StanleyRegister said:

Re the color Alberta photo - C. N. Parker of Red Deer, Alberta drove this car on the 1958 tour from Fernie to Vancouver.  He experienced magneto trouble which put him behind the other participants for a while, but he eventually caught up.  Maybe this photo is from part of the troubleshooting.

He also entered the car in a cross-Canada centennial tour in 1967, but the license plate was different at that time.

There's a small clue that this car moved to California in 2009, destination there unknown.

Yes, this is the 1913 Model 72 Lakewood Torpedo, T-head, owned by Charley Parker and now owned by his family.  I personally visited Charley one time and he provided me the history of the car and where he found it.  Interesting it came from Turner Valley Alberta, and my last name is Turner, but no relation.  It did go to CA a few years ago, for motor work.  It has been done and is now back with the family.

6 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The blue and white Lozier is part of the collection located in Hickory Corners.  The black one is now painted blue and is the same Lozier pictured below it.  This 1914 Lozier is now in a collection in Russia.  The yellow Lozier shown is a 1915 Model 82, made into a Meadowbrook from a chassis found in Delaware many years ago.  It is now located in the Tupelo museum in Mississippi.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:14 AM, twin6 said:

Here are a couple photos of Joe and Helen Murchio (sorry about image quality) from the 1950's.  They are seated in a Corbin, and the other car is one I can't identify but hope someone can.  Just recently learned he had a twin six in the 1940's, and I'm in touch with the current owner.  Where these other cars of his, today?

Murchio.jpg

Corbin.jpg

The later model car - maybe an Elcar?

28 minutes ago, Lozierman said:

The blue and white Lozier is part of the collection located in Hickory Corners.  The black one is now painted blue and is the same Lozier pictured below it.  This 1914 Lozier is now in a collection in Russia.  The yellow Lozier shown is a 1915 Model 82, made into a Meadowbrook from a chassis found in Delaware many years ago.  It is now located in the Tupelo museum in Mississippi.

Is the yellow one the one that Les Hunsberger from Phoenixville, PA had restored by Ralph Buckley? If so, it's the car I remember from Memorial Day parades in Wayne and the Philadelphia Vintage Grand Prix.

4 hours ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

Is the yellow one the one that Les Hunsberger from Phoenixville, PA had restored by Ralph Buckley? If so, it's the car I remember from Memorial Day parades in Wayne and the Philadelphia Vintage Grand Prix.

No.  Dr. Hunsberger's Lozier is the green one shown elsewhere on this topic.  

5 hours ago, Lozierman said:

Yes, this is the 1913 Model 72 Lakewood Torpedo, T-head, owned by Charley Parker and now owned by his family.  I personally visited Charley one time and he provided me the history of the car and where he found it.  Interesting it came from Turner Valley Alberta, and my last name is Turner, but no relation.  It did go to CA a few years ago, for motor work.  It has been done and is now back with the family.

Now I seem to recall reading about a prominent oilman from that area who was very well off, and 'drove around in a Lozier' according to local newspapers and magazines that have written a history of drilling for oil in Alberta.  The person and his company and where I actually read it escapes me right now, but I will keep my eyes open should I run across anymore historical reads about someone from over 100 years ago who 'drove around in a Lozier.'

Craig

1 hour ago, StanleyRegister said:

It makes the price of the Hunsberger Lozier , last time it was for sale 15 years ago ? seem reasonable.  I seem to recall it was in the $300,000.00 range.  Lozierman  do you have a better recollection than I do.  Definitely one of my all time favorite Brass cars, I have pored over every detail in the 1967  Antique Automobile article many , many times.

When I was a kid we used to tour with Paul Tusek who had a 1913 Lozier 7-passenger touring that was as big as a garage. When I was 10, I could stand up in the back of that car with the top up. He used to hammer that thing down the road at like 60 MPH. That was one of those amazing road locomotives that make brass cars so spectacular. Paul died a few years ago and I always wondered what happened to the car. It had to be quite valuable, although I don't really know what kind of number such a thing would bring just because I'm not sure what model it was--all I know is that it was ENORMOUS.

I believe he bought it from Richard Shreve if that's any help. Does anyone know the car or where it went?

13 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

When I was a kid we used to tour with Paul Tusek who had a 1913 Lozier 7-passenger touring that was as big as a garage. When I was 10, I could stand up in the back of that car with the top up. He used to hammer that thing down the road at like 60 MPH. That was one of those amazing road locomotives that make brass cars so spectacular. Paul died a few years ago and I always wondered what happened to the car. It had to be quite valuable, although I don't really know what kind of number such a thing would bring just because I'm not sure what model it was--all I know is that it was ENORMOUS.

I believe he bought it from Richard Shreve if that's any help. Does anyone know the car or where it went?

Yes I do.  It was sold to a man in CA who drove it and broke the crankshaft.  It was sold to another CA man wo had a new crankshaft made and got it running again.  It is a Model 72 T-head, and can be found on the cover of a HCCA magazine a few years back.  I don't mean to be elusive about who owns the Loziers I am speaking about, but without their permission, I want to be thoughtful in maintaining their privacy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, StanleyRegister said:

***  This is a current picture of the 1913 Lozier Lakewood Torpedo.  Yes, the car is still with the family of whom I've been acquainted with since the mid 1990's...      The car has been restored including the engine but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't seen any time on the road since the early 1970's.   She's comfortably tucked away... for now...

R Morrow

Surrey, BC

DSC_1118.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StanleyRegister said:

***  This is a current picture of the 1913 Lozier Lakewood Torpedo.  Yes, the car is still with the family of whom I've been acquainted with since the mid 1990's...      The car has been restored including the engine but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't seen any time on the road since the early 1970's.   She's comfortably tucked away... for now...

R Morrow

Surrey, BC

It's wonderful to know the Parker Lozier has been rebuilt following that fire.  Here's Francis Ludington's 1911 American Underslung model 30 (5 passenger ) at an event in New York City in 1959.  Does anyone know its current whereabouts? 

1959.jpg

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

Thanks, Bob.  I'll keep looking.  I'm in touch with someone who has a similar car restoration project, a basket case, and would like to make contact with the current owner. 

Good to know there are still brass era basket cases out there, hope all the major parts are there. Bob 

On 12/27/2018 at 3:09 PM, West Peterson said:

Paul. I was always under the impression that the only known correct and authentic Regal Speedster was the 1911 that we owned. I'm aware of a few that were built up from existing chassis. Also, it did not have a big engine. The Regal underslung used Regal's small 20hp engine. Here's the one we had, which has since been sold and has gone overseas.

5333_1.jpg

5333_2.jpg

West,

See my posts of 12/20/ & 12/27/18 in this thread.

1912Regal.thumb.jpg.80a08da501158d87166a8afadb10f694.jpgBoy how time effects memory.  I found the pictures below of what I thought was a 1912 Regal Speedster.  Not an underslung at all,

but probably an old speedster made form a full sized car.  i wish  could have bought it back then, but no such luck.  I guess my

memory was better than the car.

I 1912Regal.thumb.jpg.80a08da501158d87166a8afadb10f694.jpgreally enjoyed seeing yours!  If I had seen that one then,I would have run away form the one I saw.

I have since found a couple of ads from the 1950s for Regal Speedsters. One I think is the car we owned, but I'm fairly certain the other wasn't. So, there may be another authentic Speedster (or two) out there somewhere.

I wish the one pictured above was still in one of our garages. My brother Webster says it was such an uncomfortable car to drive that he couldn't wait to get rid of it.

46 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I have since found a couple of ads from the 1950s for Regal Speedsters. One I think is the car we owned, but I'm fairly certain the other wasn't. So, there may be another authentic Speedster (or two) out there somewhere.

I wish the one pictured above was still in one of our garages. My brother Webster says it was such an uncomfortable car to drive that he couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I guess that is the flaw in driving cars, if I owned that REGAL I could look at it for the rest of by life and be happy knowing it was parked in my garage. Bob 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I guess that is the flaw in driving cars, if I owned that REGAL I could look at it for the rest of by life and be happy knowing it was parked in my garage. Bob 

Bob

That's the way I feel about it, too, but it makes for a pretty expensive piece of garage art. I think I would have put up with the discomfort of driving it as often as I could.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StanleyRegister said:

Here's another mystery Lozier - not much to go on in the photo.  referred to at various times as a 1910, 1912, or 1913, Whitney Snyder drove it on the 1951 & '52 Glidden tours.

1912_Snyder_1951-09-24_PittsburghPostGazette.jpg.751cde12ba00fda0ff7d847ed627c17f.jpg

As you said, there isn't much to see to adequately identify it.  It isn't a 1910 as the radiator would be "rounded" rather than flat across the top.  Also, with the Solar Model 148L headlamps it would either be a late 1911 or early 1912.  While I do have a lot of information on who owned Loziers over the years, this one has me stumped.  Hopefully someone will provide other photos of this car.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

West Peterson said in regard to the 1912 Regal:  Paul. I was always under the impression that the only known correct and authentic Regal Speedster was the 1911 that we owned. I'm aware of a few that were built up from existing chassis. Also, it did not have a big engine. The Regal underslung used Regal's small 20hp engine. Here's the one we had, which has since been sold and has gone overseas. 

"Your's was an awesome car, the one I looked at I thought was a made into a Speedster from a Touring car, although I'm not sure.  I'll look for the pictures in a file for that event.  I thought it had a large displacement

4 cylinder that could be made to develop enough torque to be a good distance driver. 

A 1909 Regal currently in the LeMay Museum in Tacoma.

1909 Regal.jpg

The thing that I find amazing is the majority of these cars are just unrestored "used cars".  A 1910 car was less than 30 years old in 1939.  Many of the scenes in this film could have been filmed last week. A real time machine .

Greg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

The thing that I find amazing is the majority of these cars are just unrestored "used cars".  A 1910 car was less than 30 years old in 1939.  Many of the scenes in this film could have been filmed last week. A real time machine .

Greg

My dad mentions this all the time - when we bought the 1931 Cadillac in 1974 the car was 43 years old and the many cars in between ...., but when we bought the 1955 Buick in 2015 the car was 60 years old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

My dad mentions this all the time - when we bought the 1931 Cadillac in 1974 the car was 43 years old and the many cars in between ...., but when we bought the 1955 Buick in 2015 the car was 60 years old.

John: Thank you again and again for posting this! As was pointed out some of the teens cars would be considered "used cars". I find it wonderful that some of the early cars still had white /gray tires. Obviously even as a replacement the tires would have been over 25 years old. Mostly white tires disappeared with the advent of balloon tires in the mid 20s. And reproductions did not exist in 1939.

For me A lot of early Buick action. 1905, 1908 and 1911. And then at 11:20 an engine fire to boot! 

On 12/31/2018 at 4:42 PM, twin6 said:

Olds Autocrat in a parade of antique cars, Ocean City, NJ c. 1948.  Who owned it then, and where is it today?

Ocean City, NJ.jpg

Who would have thought there'd be another photo available, of the same car at the same event?!?  This one was printed in the program for the June 11-18, 1949 Antique Auto Show in Philadelphia.

1949_PhilaAntiqueAutoShow_1911Olds.thumb.jpg.94570fa1fdcfb8974b51de21235ac114.jpg

The Olds is either in Rhode Island or Michigan, as of last count there were only two. The Michigan car is apart, the Rhode Island car is white and an older restoration.

Fred Roe was in the single cylender Cadillac going over the logs trying to balance the cocktail tray....a common pre war car event, as well as the teeter toter. Fred went on to wright the definitive book on Duesenberg cars......after owning a bunch of them. Right around this time is when Fred bought the Amelia Earhart Kissel Gold Bug Speedster. 

• Thanks 1