Unusual Early Chrysler Engine

Hi

I have this early c1926 Chrysler Six engine in my collection here in Australia. It has what appears to be a magneto drive off the generator, but it also has coil ignition from a distributor off the top of the head.  The head appears to be higher compression than a standard head.  The engine number is indistinct but it may be 74274 or just 4274 - hard to tell.  I have only ever seen one other early Chrysler six with this front on the engine.  Did Chrysler make engines with magneto drive for some markets? Any thoughts?

Graeme C

Unusual Chrysler engine PC150309.JPG

Unusual Chrysler engine PC150311.JPG

Unusual Chrysler engine PC150312.JPG

Unusual Chrysler engine.jpg

Hi David, that is interesting.  Chrysler straight eight engines were used here as twin engines in cruising boats.  This engine was out of a car from New South Wales and the other engine I think was in the car brought to Australia by a Chrysler factory representative Ray Cady. With William Attwood and Arthur Colliver he attempted to break the Australian 24 Hour Speed Record at a place called Lake Perkolilli in Western Australia. He fell asleep at the wheel and went into the bush, cracking the sump.  The car had Buffalo wire wheels. They may have used the magneto so the engine would still keep running overnight if their lights flattened the battery.  Speculating of course!

All the components have parts numbers.

Graeme Cocks