Generator pulley

Eddie Hoagland

The generator pulley on my 1928 model A Ford pickup truck broke off. I have removed the bolt  that held  the  original pulley onto the crankshaft so I can replace it with a new pulley. My problem is, there is a sleeve (tube)that was part of the original pulley that I have been unable to remove  no matter how hard I try .  It seems like it is frozen In the opening Into which the new pulley must fit. Can anyone Give me some advice on how to get this out?  Is there a special tool that will help me pull it out?  I have removed the radiator for easy access and have Used plenty of liquid wrench but nothing seems to work. I am under the impression that it just slides out but I can’t get it to budge. Any help would be appreciated.   Eddie

One has to wonder why a crank pulley would break in the first place!  Anyhow, you'll probably have to remove the timing gear cover and use a puller to remove the rest of the pulley shaft from the crank as I think that that is what remains of the pulley. It is keyed and most likely stuck.You may also have to drop the oil pan but I'm not sure. Never had to change one aside from a new rebuild. If you have any problems, you might check to see if there is an AACA chapter or a Model A club chapter near you and seek assistance. Local clubs can be a real asset of information and help. Good luck!

His description confuses me as he states that he's removed the bolt from the crankshaft and the radiator. Like you stated before, why would he do that if it's the gen. he's working on. Besides, I don't remember any sleeve on a generator pulley. What would break on a generator pulley?

• 4 weeks later...