Did Locomobile Supply Cars with Factory Tools and Jacks ?

Wowabunga

Here's my thinking... All over the planet in dusty barns and old garages sit old forgotten jacks waiting for someone to discover them and send them back on their journey home to their original auto or truck.  Seriously, to help move this "migration" along I've spent 10 years working up a ID Guide for old jacks...!  I won't be touching on tools for that's a huge expanse of knowledge to compile and I'll leave that to the individual clubs to wade thru.

Today we tackle the Locomobile Company and my questions if I may are as follows: 

Did your cars come with factory supplied jacks, some yes some no ? 

In your factory literature are there any illustrations to be found of jacks for your Locomobiles ? 

Are any online or print publications where I can find more info ? 

Thanks in advance for any productive direction.

Ramblin Randy

id_jackslogoSM.jpg

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Music to my ears Al.   Factory literature that had a page showing the tools and a jack was pretty common in the early years.  The only reference I have is that the Lane Jack Company supplied jacks for Locomobiles.  Here's a photo of a number 8 which is very sturdy, and a number 4 that is lighter.  Anyone have one of these Lane jacks in the trunk ?

Lane_8_4.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just received a bunch of tools and jacks from a friend of mines estate.  many of these have company name on them but they are on a plate that is secured to the side of the jack.   I do have a jack for a 1914 locomobile, I will check it out when I get home.   when I bought my loco, I received a bunch of tools with it.  most appear to be of the era but not marked loco

Mike

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Well well well... The passing of time here has turned up a bountiful blessing full of info and with much glee visuals too...!!!

The Barrett 44 jack is pretty old and I'd imagine not easy to find one.  The handle alone you'd need one of those new 3D printing machines to craft.  

The Barrett that is embossed with the Locomobile name I'm sure is rare as well... it's the first visual I've seen anywhere.

Have seen Lane Brothers Advertisements with general references to many makes including Locomobile, have yet to find a link to a specific car / year.  The search goes on.

Thanks you...!

Here's some odd ball research from a 1919 US Patent.   An inventor by the name of Delmar Roos, assigner to the Locomobile Company of America filed for a patent for a auto jack that ran on electricity.

Go to this page and type in the patent number 1324851

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

US Patent 1324851, jack, December 16, 1919

I don't think Delmar's dream ever took flight...

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a jack that I use on my model T that has a carriage in front of the jack mechanism. The carriage fits between the truss rod and the round tube of the differential. As many of you know, T models are hard to hand crank when cold unless you jack up one rear wheel. I have never learned what jack was appropriate on brass era cars. We all know they were jacked up because flats were regular occurrences.

image.png.34631ca6fc3ad36ec9db2c833f861129.png

Ashland Manufacturing. I swore if I ever found another one I would buy it but when I ran across the second one, I didn't. Only two I've ever seen.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 4:57 PM, AHa said:

image.png.34631ca6fc3ad36ec9db2c833f861129.png

Ashland Manufacturing. I swore if I ever found another one I would buy it but when I ran across the second one, I didn't. Only two I've ever seen.

It is my understanding these are not jacks in the normal sense, rather they are called "tire savers".   Back in the early tube tire days the tires were very expensive and during the winter cars were mothballed and 4 tire savers were positioned under each hubcap and the cars were only lifted an inch or two to clear the ground thus taking the weight off the expensive tires.

I've seen the tire savers at Hershey in singles and pairs, rarely do you find all four matching.  Anyone else have the same understanding ?

9 hours ago, Wowabunga said:

It is my understanding these are not jacks in the normal sense, rather they are called "tire savers".   Back in the early tube tire days the tires were very expensive and during the winter cars were mothballed and 4 tire savers were positioned under each hubcap and the cars were only lifted an inch or two to clear the ground thus taking the weight off the expensive tires.

I've seen the tire savers at Hershey in singles and pairs, rarely do you find all four matching.  Anyone else have the same understanding ?

Used to see a lot of these "storage " type jacks in the flea market and sold mine years ago..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...