Wowabunga

Did Locomobile Supply Cars with Factory Tools and Jacks ?

Here's my thinking... All over the planet in dusty barns and old garages sit old forgotten jacks waiting for someone to discover them and send them back on their journey home to their original auto or truck.  Seriously, to help move this "migration" along I've spent 10 years working up a ID Guide for old jacks...!  I won't be touching on tools for that's a huge expanse of knowledge to compile and I'll leave that to the individual clubs to wade thru.

Today we tackle the Locomobile Company and my questions if I may are as follows: 

Did your cars come with factory supplied jacks, some yes some no ? 

In your factory literature are there any illustrations to be found of jacks for your Locomobiles ? 

Are any online or print publications where I can find more info ? 

Thanks in advance for any productive direction.

Ramblin Randy

id_jackslogoSM.jpg

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good question.  I am only familiar with the older Locomobiles and will scrounge through my literature and see if I can see anything.  Owners of later Locomobiles chime in with your relevant information.  Good luck on your project.

Al

Music to my ears Al.   Factory literature that had a page showing the tools and a jack was pretty common in the early years.  The only reference I have is that the Lane Jack Company supplied jacks for Locomobiles.  Here's a photo of a number 8 which is very sturdy, and a number 4 that is lighter.  Anyone have one of these Lane jacks in the trunk ?

Lane_8_4.JPG

Hello Locoman,  I scrounged through my 1909-12 literature and could find no reference to the use of jacks.  Please share your information as it regards to Barrett #44 jacks on the early cars.  I am most curious.

Al

Locoman,  Nice pictures, thanks for posting!  What manual or type of Locomobile literature would these pictures be found in?  I would like to get a copy for my Locomobile information file.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
correction (see edit history)

I have just received a bunch of tools and jacks from a friend of mines estate.  many of these have company name on them but they are on a plate that is secured to the side of the jack.   I do have a jack for a 1914 locomobile, I will check it out when I get home.   when I bought my loco, I received a bunch of tools with it.  most appear to be of the era but not marked loco

Mike

• Like 1

Hello Mike,  Attach a picture here so we can get an idea of what the jack would look like.

Al

Thanks for posting a picture.  It would sure be nice to have that jack under the seat of my Locomobile!  Is this an item that you collect or have for sale?

Al

Lance, I have encouraged other Locomobile owners to take a look at your jack, in the Locomobile parts for sale section.  I hope it can find a new home in the tool chest of a Locomobile automobile.

Al