What year is this LaSalle? - Now Franklin

Wade Lanning

I think I agree with the Franklin. If you look closely, the headlights are mounted on stantions from the frame horns. Also (and this might be a stretch) the large headlights appear to have the distinctive lens of the Ryan-Lite that the Franklins had.

image.thumb.png.a5a2486d48a6173813e89a2b82fe6dfa.png

• Wade Lanning changed the title to What year is this LaSalle? - Now Franklin

I sent Wade here for a better answer. When he sent me the picture I thought, “ I’ve seen those fenders before”. A quick look in the old Car Spotters Guide got Cadillac and LaSalle pictures of the fender lines. I now see the LaSalle fender line goes to the bottom of the fender point without flareing out like the picture.

Now it makes sense, because I look at Franklin for sale ads all the time. That’s why the fender lines look so familiar!😃

s

18 hours ago, oldford said:

Dave, I think I hit the submit button just a you did....      

The way great minds cogitate?    Sorry...
I'm surprised no one has asked about the other REALLY mysterious car to the right.         

The car in the first photo is definitely a Franklin by the large Ryan lights with matching fender-mounted parking lights.  The windsplit stamped into the fenders also identify it.

This second photo car looks to be a First Series '24 Packard Eight,  by the headlight size and their fork mounting, plus the wider radiator.   Guesses are the portly old gent with the pince-nez glasses was the owner, while his chauffeur looks on.  Note the porte cochere behind, the very image of an affluent 1920's America.

Thanks for the ID on the make and year! Not only is it interesting to know the make. model & year of the car, but it helps me date the time frame when this family picture was taken, because we didn't have that info.  I know the names of my relatives in the picture, but not the date of the picture.

Tell me though, what's the difference in the Model 135 and 137?  I couldn't find that out on the Franklin club website.  Also, just to confirm, was the Franklin in the picture air cooled vs. water radiator?

On 12/15/2018 at 7:47 PM, DLynskey said:

If Keiser says it's a LaSalle it must be a LaSalle. I'll take his word for it until he issues a formal retraction.

LOL

Don

Sorry to disappoint....it's a 1929 Franklin. I cannot believe I missed this one since I used to own a 1929 Series 135 Franklin. Color me REALLY red and embarrassed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Sorry to disappoint....it's a 1929 Franklin. I cannot believe I missed this one since I used to own a 1929 Series 135 Franklin. Color me REALLY red and embarrassed.

Even the best Jeopardy players miss one now and then!

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, keiser31 said:

We'll let you get by with it  this time. Just don't let it happen again.

Seriously, I don't know how you find all the photos. I enjoy your responses and learn a lot from them.

Don 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, Wade Lanning said:

I'm fairly sure this is a LaSalle, perhaps 1929 or 1930. Can anyone tell from this picture what year it is? Also, are the headlights stock? They seem large.

Tallwood LaSalle.jpg

I have a 1931 Lasalle, this looks like a Franklin due to the  size of the lights on the fenders and also the grill on this car looks a lot lower than the a grill from a Lasalle, the Lasalle has a much higher grill than the Franklin.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 6:35 PM, Wade Lanning said:

I recently found another picture of the Franklin that shows more of the grille.  It has the same young woman in a bathing suit sitting on the bumper that was standing in the first picture I posted above.

Wade

Bird at Gran Liden.jpg

A Series 135 or 137 given "Ryan" parking lamps and headlamps, sidemount spare tires and via this photo you can see the hubcap which is wire wheel style.  And, it sports accessory sidemount tire mirrors.  Could also be a Coupe verses a Brougham, Club Sedan, or Sedan

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)