3rd generation attempt to finish the 39 Buick special 8

Hey everyone.  I am trying to finish up a car that my grandfather found in a field.  Hey did all the work to body, paint, and got it driving.  My father was almost done when we lost him in a car wreck.  Hey put a camaro front clip in it.  Made the rear into a truck arm setup. Also dropped a 455 Buick in it.  He never got to finish it or drive it.  I now have it running.  But am lacking alternator and brackets.  I have to rewire the entire car.  None of the original garages work due to not being connected.  The main trouble I’m having is figuring out what is the right brake pedal assembly so the car will have a brake booster.  Thanks for looking guys.  Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

9C50DC73-CBC6-4719-A96D-F0399BBC828D.jpeg

I understand the original guys.   We didn’t do that because we wanted to drive this car cross country at highway speeds.  Interior stuff I do want to go back to original.  Thank you for the reply though.  Just started on the forum.  Also thank you for liking it.  This car means a lot to me

• Like 1

Sorry for reposting but I think this is the right forum. Need help to go in the right direction on the car.  I need to do pedal assemblies. Possibly the gauges and then the electrical.  Any help of finding things would be great.  It has a 80s camaro front clip with a 455 in it and converted to truck arm suspension. 

09248AB0-2481-48CE-A56B-36DC18712E86.jpeg

Not sure if you’re using a computer or a smartphone but it looks like spell check is changing some of your words. It happen to me all the time and aggravates the hell out of me. Good luck with the car and there are many places to get info to help. While I try and restore a car to original, I have no issue if someone goes a different way. In your case you got the car in it’s modified state so no one should have anything but encouragement for you. It will still be an old Buick back on the road. Enjoy. On the wiring, they make a generic, universal kit that should work fine for you. The good thing about a modified car is your not subject to having to use more expensive OEM type replacement parts like your wiring harness for example. My first restoration as an adult was a mild resto-mod of a 83’ military blazer that I drive all the time. Leather seats, radio, AC, etc., all make it a better driver just like your Buick.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You might try the guys on the H.A.M.B. forum, also. They are all about hot rods. Be sure you do an introduction there prior to asking questions. They will love the back story on it being your Dad's car.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/

• Like 1

Do you want/need original 1939 parts?

Original was 6 volts, but you will have 12 volt now, so any electrical instrument will need some work.

The best source of pre war Buick parts is Dave Tacheny in Champlin, MN. He specializes in 1936-1941 Buick parts. He is old school:- no email. The best way to contact him is to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427 3460. You can also write him a letter. His address is 11949 Oregon Ave N., Champlin, MN 55316. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

Other thread on this car:- https://forums.aaca.org/topic/319705-3rd-generation-attempt-to-finish-the-39-buick-special-8/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Ok.   Awesome.   I was wonder what I should do.   That’s kind of what I was thinking but I wasn’t sure if there was a better way.  I dropped in a spare willowood brake kit I had from the race car.   But it seems it really needs to have a booster.   I have seen the ones that go down on the frame rail but with the truck arms they wouldn’t fit.    What’s in the picture is what I put in so I could move the car around.  

D696A0BB-7C30-4DD7-9665-8847FB678B1F.jpeg