I'm new to everything with my 51 Chevy Wagon

EOB

Howdy to all. I am a novice at best but I am hoping to learn all I can from others while working on a cool car I have always wanted: a 51 chevy styleline deluxe wagon. The "old soul" in me has always loved the early 50s. I got it this summer and have taken most of it apart. (My daughter really likes helping me every time so it's been a great daddy/daughter project.) I'm really excited to be a part of this forum and to learn from you all. 😀  Here are some initial questions. 

1) My wood door panels are shot. Where do you recommend I have those made? I see that the front door panels have a sway or curve in them that will need to be massaged to fit. Not my skill set.

2) The trim above the windows (running from front to back of the car) are plastic. Did chevy make a wood version in previous years for this wagon or were they always plastic? 

3) I have tried and tried to use a tool to get off the door handles but no luck. I have several different tools but nothing. I finally used a screw driver and got one set off but it was a bit too much work. Any suggestions? (I've also tried the shop rag method and it did not work to get the small horseshoe clip out.)

4) OK, with the handles... why did chevy make a different style handle for the wagon?!? I was hoping to buy a set of repro styleline handles to replace mine but I was told by a few people that the repros don't work for the wagon? Is this true? Can't I buy a new set and make them work anyway? What is so different? 

5) My tailgate is missing the little lock box mechanism that sits in the tailgate? I have the outside handle but it just turns and turns since it doesn't have anything to lock into. I am also missing the inside tailgate handle. Anyone know where I can get that? Do any other year model wagons fit my 51? 

6) Lastly, it seems like there are so few parts made for this wagon. Why is that? Is it because there were so few made? I could make an entire 51 chevy truck with all the parts out there. But the wagon parts are so hard to find (i.e. gauges, interior trim, hood and tailgate emblems!!!) They make all chevy hood ornaments out there but not the 51!

I will add that I am going to update the engine and make the entire care safer with seat belts, disc brakes, power steering, better engine, etc. (I apologize if I am offending any of the purists). I have the straight inline 6 still. I don't know what to do with it. It's just sitting in my driveway (which my wife does not love). The body is in pretty decent shape. The inside is alright but the typical rust.  I had a friend help me weld in new floor pans. At least it still has the original third bench seat.  Thank you for your assistance. I love learning from others. 

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

• Like 1

By the way, those photos were from August when I first got the car. I can barely walk around in that garage these days. Parts and tools everywhere!  However, I realize that this is a LONG term project so I am not discouraged. I plan to go the distance.