Dynaflash8

Shipping/Postage costs

Recommended Posts

I sent a 150lb crate of Buick rear end parts to Amsterdam. UPS, HDL, and FedEx all quoted a price in the $1500-$1700 range. I checked out IPS(International Parcel Service), they quoted a price close to $500, so that`s who I went with, did it all on line, they emailed me shipping labels, directions and such, with instructions to drop off at local FedEx. HUH? WHAT? Take it where?  To the same place that quoted me a price 3x higher.  I dropped the crate off at FedEx on Thursday morning in Sherman, Tx., Fri. morning crate was in Memphis, Tn., Sunday morning crate was at Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris, France, Tuesday at customs in the Netherlands, and delivered to the buyer on Friday. Buyer was shocked, he expected it to take 3mo., and got it in 9days..  Shipping across the pond?  IPS, in my opinion, is the best..

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I sent a 150lb crate of Buick rear end parts to Amsterdam. UPS, HDL, and FedEx all quoted a price in the $1500-$1700 range. I checked out IPS(International Parcel Service), they quoted a price close to $500, so that`s who I went with, did it all on line, they emailed me shipping labels, directions and such, with instructions to drop off at local FedEx. HUH? WHAT? Take it where?  To the same place that quoted me a price 3x higher.  I dropped the crate off at FedEx on Thursday morning in Sherman, Tx., Fri. morning crate was in Memphis, Tn., Sunday morning crate was at Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris, France, Tuesday at customs in the Netherlands, and delivered to the buyer on Friday. Buyer was shocked, he expected it to take 3mo., and got it in 9days..  Shipping across the pond?  IPS, in my opinion, is the best..

I've Used them before for an NOS crated 69 Pontiac Executive bumper and same deal it was surprisingly cheap and handled by Fed EX.   Small stuff that isn't too big for USPS is still better to go that way but anything that exceeds the post office specs, IPS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

 

Does that mean the Priority flat Rate boxes are going away?

 

Don't think so.  They are, of course, getting a little more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I've Used them before for an NOS crated 69 Pontiac Executive bumper and same deal it was surprisingly cheap and handled by Fed EX.   Small stuff that isn't too big for USPS is still better to go that way but anything that exceeds the post office specs, IPS. 

Not sure if it was the came company but a buyer in Australia worked out a shipping deal something like that on a crankcase, far cheaper than everyone else. Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPS does 8 billion $$ annually. "Economies of scale" are shocking when you experience them first hand. A friend of mine grew his company from a ton or so of sheetmetal per month to 10's of tons and was shocked at the drop in cost. Its like GM paying 50 cents to a dollar each for tires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices can be dependent on what other weight/cube shipments the consolidator has to ship at the time, and to which detination.  Consolidators (including the USPS) have "block space" contracts with airlines including all-cargo airlines between designated points, in which they are paying for x number of containers/pallets no matter how much or how little is in each container/pallet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes,  shipping figure need to be check on big item before quoting.  I purchase a Class 3 trailer hitch in the Large Box for $150 including shipping,  then sold a rear bottom seat for 1940 packard for $100 plus $100 shipping on ebay. I use the class 3 trailer hitch box, little stretch on the girth bottom seat,  SHipping only  $180, fedEx seem to the cheaps,  UPS was $280 plus. Freight forwarders about the same plus a long drive to drop off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auburnseeker

 

Thanks for the tip on international shipping.  I've  been importing Long Range fuel tank for 4x4 from Australia and the tanks are expensive, even with seafreight. Fedex was another $500 for two fuel tanks.  Delivery was great. Freight forward set it up in Australia.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 I bought a heavy industrial Singer sewing machine a couple of weeks ago to try and make a top for a 12 touring for my first attempt.

But first the machine needs a new timing belt that I intend to also install. Looking on EBay I found one for $35. plus $17 shipping from the US to Canada then brokerage fee and taxes. So the price will be close to double before it is in my hands. Then I found another for $12.55 shipping included from CHINA. I spent the $12.55. and should take delivery in the next couple of weeks and will see how it works out.

Well the belt came with no extra postage, taxes or handling charges in very good packaging. It is now on and with a savings of about $39. US. plus 30% exchange rate. I am sold on buying direct from China seeing GM, Ford and Chrysler also buy direct. I will then have more funds to spend in the old car hobby 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe I do not understand the costs to get parts into Canada . I bought a seat and needle for my carburetor not much bigger than the parts to hold a watch to a watch strap . The arguing with the vendor to ship it across the border . If you use USPS there is not all the costs involved . The Vendor said he had to use Fedex . Canadian Customs charged me a $60 handling fee since it came in by Fedex plus the Customs Duty .

 

There is no $60 fee with USPS except the Duty .

 

Some US suppliers will not ship to Canada because of all the paper work involved .

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

  You did not pay custom's a handling charge but a brokers fee to FedEx. Also FedEx makes sure you pay the tax so they can charge you the extra fee for handling the tax. With USPS very rare do they charge the tax and so no broker fee. That is why I very rarely buy on eBay especially now that eBay charges a middle man charge for their Global  Shipping Service. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

 

  You did not pay custom's a handling charge but a brokers fee to FedEx. Also FedEx makes sure you pay the tax so they can charge you the extra fee for handling the tax. With USPS very rare do they charge the tax and so no broker fee. That is why I very rarely buy on eBay especially now that eBay charges a middle man charge for their Global  Shipping Service. 

Is there any reason I SHOULD click on the eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING option? Do buyers in Canada and overseas see this and look closer at what I'm selling. is there ANYTHING positive about that option. I'd much rather deal man to man, figure out the postal cost and add the exact amount to the sale price. I've had people ask to do this and adjust the listing by removing the Global option BEFOR they bid. Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Is there any reason I SHOULD click on the eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING option? Do buyers in Canada and overseas see this and look closer at what I'm selling. is there ANYTHING positive about that option

Bob if I see Global Shipping service I do not buy. If you look at the listing eBay's service  does not show you the total cost of shipping were USPS does. The only thing positive is for eBay and not the buyer. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...