Shipping/Postage costs

Dynaflash8

You never did give us the dimensions?  I have a FedEx account and put in 30lbs from Miami to Clackamas and it was $42.45 FedEx ground.  I ship car stuff from SE Texas to all points and have never paid over $100 for anything.  Two Pontiac  heads are about $85 no matter where I send them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Question for Overseas buyers: When I list items on eBay are there things you look for in the Title, or if the "Global Shipping" option has been checked off. I have a feeling global is an expensive joke. I enjoy selling World Wide, how do I attract more buyers? Bob 

Hi Bob, as an overseas buyer when looking for parts on Ebay, I first look at the year and make of car I'm looking for, then the items newly listed, if it's what I need, I then look at the price, then shipping costs and location of the part. If the part is reasonably priced and the shipping cost is reasonable I may bid on the item.

Often guys list a part cheaply, but the shipping cost listed can be a total rip off. For instance you may find a $10 retail item listed for $2, but the shipping on the small item is $30, I don't even bother to comment on these rip off merchants.

The other guys I avoid, unless I am desperate for the item, are those that list "ship to the lower 48 only" or "we don't sell outside the USA", what these guys don't realise, is that there is a world wide web of international buyers, who may want to buy your item, and some of those buyers will pay top dollar for your item. When you live in places such as ours, the car you are building may be the only one of its type within 5000 miles, so if you really, really need that part, you are going to bid on it and pay if you win the bid.

What I hate with ebay is the companies and individuals that list pages of metal repro signs, mustang conv kits, aftermarket parts and lights that will "fit your car", about as well as your wife will accept second hand underwear from a charity shop. These adds are a pain and have nothing to do with vintage , antique cars.

Viv

So, if I DON'T check off accept Global Shipping I'm not chasing away potential buyers overseas? I have had overseas buyers ask about items, and once I know they are interested I'll remove the Global ripoff and mail man to man. I always feel bad about the cost of things to Australia and New Zealand. Bob 

I could not put 4 dash plaques that were individual sales into one package for a German buyer. Here is a capture of my $8.00 price plus his Global shipping Ebay fee. His total for four dash plaques at $8.00 each was $81.00 US.

GermanyGlobal.JPG.9f70925c5bb0b9b3969372262ef76f5f.JPG

We worked out a US address and I sent them for 92 cents.

There is a lot of mindless inflexibility in many systems enhanced by programming. I have had a computer program associated with my work since 1974, And even the most sophisticated programing will have a human "work around" at the user level. Very few practical applications end up working the way management envisioned. Usually management doesn't know. The human gives the program the appearance of functionality.

Bernie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

So, if I DON'T check off accept Global Shipping I'm not chasing away potential buyers overseas? I have had overseas buyers ask about items, and once I know they are interested I'll remove the Global ripoff and mail man to man. I always feel bad about the cost of things to Australia and New Zealand. Bob 

Bob,

I am surprised that you can edit that feature once you have a bid., What I have been doing is checking off "local pick available" After the sale we deal with the shipping outside of ebay. About 2 years ago I had a guy in Australia  who bought a set of NOS finger shields for a 50 Pontiac.  Fedex was almost $100 to ship them, so  asked me if i could pick up some other parts and include it in the box if he paid me up front and I did. Things we take for granted like points and plugs I picked up for him and packed them up, as long as the box stayed under the maximum weight we were golden

John 

24 minutes ago, John348 said:

Bob,

I am surprised that you can edit that feature once you have a bid., What I have been doing is checking off "local pick available" After the sale we deal with the shipping outside of ebay. About 2 years ago I had a guy in Australia  who bought a set of NOS finger shields for a 50 Pontiac.  Fedex was almost $100 to ship them, so  asked me if i could pick up some other parts and include it in the box if he paid me up front and I did. Things we take for granted like points and plugs I picked up for him and packed them up, as long as the box stayed under the maximum weight we were golden

John 

I can't remember exactly how things went, maybe the overseas buyer asked before he bid and I removed the global. I do remember the first Global go round a 45.00 book a lady bought was going to cost over $20.00 as I recall in postage. Same with an envelope & letterhead a while back, $3.00 vs $23.00. There is some FedEx deal that an Australian worked out to ship a crankcase for half the asking price of everyone else, worked out very well. Bob 

The big UPS site is Louisville KY. I think there is a company in Florence that consolidates small shipments into larger containers that Ups picks up for overseas shipping. Now if I can just remember the company name or find the invoice from them I’ll post it. 

Dave S 

I didn't send them to Germany. We worked out a US address and I sent them there.

I like the Global shipping option because it stops those foreigners from asking me to commit crimes. I used to get requests to mark customs forms as a "gift" or falsify the value of an item. I thought they were lucky to get stuff half way around the world but they kept setting me up to go to jail so they could save a couple bucks.

I had a good one a few years ago. I mixed up a shipping label and sent a Florida bound part to Washington State. The Florida buyer was very upset and claimed to be on a tight deadline. I contacted the address in Washington and the package had already gone to Canada with a load of parts a Canadian picked up in Washington. It had to be brought back from Canada and mailed to Florida on his next trip to pick up parts. The guy in Florida was from Columbia and needed to take his part in his luggage. Time was getting tight and he called me again. I told him the situation and explained that the person I sent it to was trying to beat the Canadian government the way he was trying to beat the Colombian government. I told him people make movies out of those kind of stories! Everything cleared up in time and the buyer was happy. He told me he would buy me lunch if I was in his city in Florida. Yeah, I sure wouldn't sit with him unless my back was to the wall.

I have been selling on Ebay since 1999 and sometimes I just feel so close to Abe Lincoln and George Washington, Makes me ponder the role models in other places. 🙂

Bernie

EARL, SOMETIMES YOU KNOW A GUY WHO IS HEADING TO A SHOW OR A TOUR - PART WAY TO THE DESTINATION, AND CAN HOOK UP WITH SOMEONE THE BUYER KNOWS (ooPS - SORRY FOR THE aLL cAPS), who may be in that area and pass it along to another friend. 

Most of us have moved parts for other folks at one time or another - I certainly have many times, and lots of folks have helped me the same way. Of course offering to assist in travel expense sweetens the request.

Earl,

I'll bet that someone from the Pacific Northwest will be attending either Philly, or the winter national show in Florida in February

USPS Large Flat Rate Box

Will ship anything up to 70 pounds

12" X 12" X 6"  $18.90

24" X 12" X 3"  $18.90

Smaller boxes available at lower rates.

I use this service for almost everything I ship. Never get a complaint on cost. And it includes insurance and tracking number.

FedEx and UPS pricing is for the birds, but their costs are regulated by the U.S. government so as mot to compete with the post office.

Greg

I had found in the distant past that FedEx was cheaper than USPS Parcel Post, and so I even opened an account with FedEx which made it even cheaper. And FedEx (Ground) was cheaper than UPS. Also FedEx included tracking and insurance, which at the time would have cost more with Parcel Post. That was before the time of these "Flat Rate" boxes. Apparently things have changed now, but I'm going to ship something FedEx soon and see how it works out. You never know what FedEx will be until you take it in, it gets measured, weighed, and the destination put into the computer. And yes delivery to residences costs more than delivery to business addresses.

3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

USPS Large Flat Rate Box

Will ship anything up to 70 pounds

12" X 12" X 6"  $18.90

24" X 12" X 3"  $18.90

Smaller boxes available at lower rates.

I use this service for almost everything I ship. Never get a complaint on cost. And it includes insurance and tracking number.

FedEx and UPS pricing is for the birds, but their costs are regulated by the U.S. government so as mot to compete with the post office.

Greg

Greg,

I agree with you 100%, providing everything fits in that size it is the best bang for your buck. As a matter of fact I have a flat rate box of Christmas Gifts going out to Palm Springs tomorrow. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

you never know what fedex will be till you take it in..............

once sold a rear tire well pan on ebay for a 51 chevy wagon. part sold for 85.

went in to fedex to get price and was quoted 133. for shipping. I said the buyer will never pay that and went to leave. Employee did a "re measure" and said, how does 92. sound?

we shipped.

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I didn't send them to Germany. We worked out a US address and I sent them there.

I like the Global shipping option because it stops those foreigners from asking me to commit crimes. I used to get requests to mark customs forms as a "gift" or falsify the value of an item. I thought they were lucky to get stuff half way around the world but they kept setting me up to go to jail so they could save a couple bucks.

I had a good one a few years ago. I mixed up a shipping label and sent a Florida bound part to Washington State. The Florida buyer was very upset and claimed to be on a tight deadline. I contacted the address in Washington and the package had already gone to Canada with a load of parts a Canadian picked up in Washington. It had to be brought back from Canada and mailed to Florida on his next trip to pick up parts. The guy in Florida was from Columbia and needed to take his part in his luggage. Time was getting tight and he called me again. I told him the situation and explained that the person I sent it to was trying to beat the Canadian government the way he was trying to beat the Colombian government. I told him people make movies out of those kind of stories! Everything cleared up in time and the buyer was happy. He told me he would buy me lunch if I was in his city in Florida. Yeah, I sure wouldn't sit with him unless my back was to the wall.

I have been selling on Ebay since 1999 and sometimes I just feel so close to Abe Lincoln and George Washington, Makes me ponder the role models in other places. 🙂

Bernie

Actually as far as trying to beat the Canadian Government is concerned that is probably not the case. I do just as you have outlined frequently. Buy a part from a U.S. seller and have it delivered to my Washington State mailing address. Any of the towns along the Canada - U.S. border have shipping businesses that will receive mail, packages etc. for a small fee. I pick the item up and return to Canada. I always state the true purchase price as 99% of the time , as long as the total is under $250.00 or so the Customs Agent does not bother collecting the tax owing and just waves me thru. Even if they do have you come in and pay it is just the same sales tax you would pay on a Canadian purchase so really no big deal. Some items imported as commercial can also have duty but as long as a personal use item just tax.

All my old car hobby friends do much the same. Why try to deceive Customs ?

Greg in Canada

My experience with the Canadian and Colombian orders was entertaining to me because it spanned most of the western hemisphere. I like ironic stories like that, but my kids say I am easily entertained. It was only one of many stories of selling things around the world. I can't even count the number of times I have been invited to become an  extended family member sending gifts to foreign countries.

To answer why deceive customs, I would have to have more specifics on that 1% of the time. I would say I am completely honest about 95%, trust me.

Some cultures pace value on being able to trick or get away with something. Aesop wrote a few stories that survived.

One of my all time favorite shipping stories is this one: https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/bank-of-vernal.pdf

The kids are probably right. I am easy to entertain..... and distract from work.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Like Greg says.

The only reason I ship to a US address is to avoid paying at least twice the shipping fee. The heavier  and bigger it gets, the bigger  the price differential. An hour of my time can easily be worth $100 if I'm shipping multiple items.

Don't mess with Customs, to avoid taxes, it just isn't worth it. Buddy of mine had 3 forgotten limes in his car and was on the US CBP watch list for a year. They have longer memories when it comes to taxes.

Interestingly, RockAuto has figured out a way to ship parts to me in Canada for about the same price as the the cost  to get it to Washington. Using Fedex no less. And no dastardly  brokerage fees. Something about bulk broker fees? Or maybe they just carry a lot of clout in the shipping world.

Brad

The much more reasonable domestic rate shipping is a strong incentive. But even more of a reason is that many sellers of genuine old car parts { rather than commercial sellers of new replacement or reproduction parts} state U.S. sales only / no International sales. If I did not have easy access to a U.S. address the old car hobby would be much more expensive and in many cases impossible to source parts for my odd ball projects.

Greg

• Like 1

I was unloading my brass at a metal buying place awhile back and there was a US Mail truck (a small one like you would see delivering rurally).

It was squatted to its limits and the guys were unloading a big load of the USPS flat rate boxes which looked VERY heavy.

I glanced over to the scales and saw that they were crammed with bare copper. It was heavy cable cut to an exact length to fit the box.

Remember that this equaled about a level pick up load of flat rate boxes.

It was a shipment from a high school somewhere out in the sticks that was raising funds for some activity and this copper was donated.

The eighteen bucks per box was worth the expense. Clean bright copper brings over two bucks a pound and these flat rate boxes looked like 60 or 70 pounds the way the those workers were sweating.

The guy helping me told me that they had been getting a load like that about once a week from that school lately.

• Thanks 1

Greg

Greg, just curious where you get your information regarding FedEx and UPS pricing being regulated "by the US government so not to compete withe the post office?"

We have a Auburn parts business.  We ship parts out nearly every day.  It is our experience that if the parcel is going to the lower 48 , a USPS flat rate box is the is the way to go.  If the parcel is large or heavy then we use UPS.  Our customers  overseas  just about always prefer UPS to USPS.  The one thing about UPS is it is one carrier end to end.  I suspect FEDEX is much the same as UPS . We just happen to have a UPS account.  Oh, BTW  UPS actually pays insurance claims, with very little hassle. 

17 minutes ago, Curti said:

We have a Auburn parts business.  We ship parts out nearly every day.  It is our experience that if the parcel is going to the lower 48 , a USPS flat rate box is the is the way to go.  If the parcel is large or heavy then we use UPS.  Our customers  overseas  just about always prefer UPS to USPS.  The one thing about UPS is it is one carrier end to end.  I suspect FEDEX is much the same as UPS . We just happen to have a UPS account.  Oh, BTW  UPS actually pays insurance claims, with very little hassle. 

You're correct, USPS deliver using Australia Post here which varies from great to woeful. UPS works great and I have had packages arrive in less than 3 days from the US, however expect to pay 2x or 3x the amount compared to USPS. I had an issue with a delivery from UPS that was damaged in transit that they refused insurance on because I hadn't taken photos of every side of the box before opening it....

• Like 1

Have wanted a  heavy sewing machine for many years now and have to do a top on my 12 touring. I bought one at auction with a broken timing belt and looked at eBay that I have been away from for a few years now. I found one for sale at $35. plus $17. shipping not including the tax, duty and brokerage fee. But then I found another for $10.55 with free shipping from China. Well I bought the one from China seeing they are  all probably made there anyway. See what the extra costs will be when I take deliver. How can they have free shipping on a part totaling $10.55

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

Have wanted a  heavy sewing machine for many years now and have to do a top on my 12 touring. I bought one at auction with a broken timing belt and looked at eBay that I have been away from for a few years now. I found one for sale at $35. plus $17. shipping not including the tax, duty and brokerage fee. But then I found another for $10.55 with free shipping from China. Well I bought the one from China seeing they are  all probably made there anyway. See what the extra costs will be when I take deliver. How can they have free shipping on a part totaling $10.55

That free shipping was somehow negotiated into most likely the USPS at some point at some ridiculously low rate that is basically subsidized by the regular US shipments that you see the 10.00 and up fees for along with the ever slightly increasing postal rates, so much they had to go to forever stamps. 

It is the only possible explanation when it cost me 4.00 to send a brochure across the country that weighs 8 OZ and I can buy an item from China delivered to my door that weighs more than 8 OZ for less than my cost of shipping and that includes the cost of the item.  

I understand bulk shipping discounts,  one of the reason ebay can sell you shipping cheaper than at the window,  but still makes a profit because they are buying it even cheaper and selling it to you at a mark up,  then banging you 15 % on your shipping anyways. 

Fortunately I ship alot of Media mail so I fall into the lowest cost category. 

I was tracking a FedEx pkg. that I was anxious for.

I saw that it had made it to the Portland facility so I figured that it would be the next day.

To my surprise they sent it up to Seattle to be transferred to USPS for delivery.

I could still track it thru FedEx but it ended up taking three more days.

I have to admit it was still within the estimated delivery date but it kind of surprised me that it changed carriers.

There is a 'Mailroom' here in my town that checks all methods to find the best deals for shipping.

I didn't send any packages this season as its my turn to travel, but last year in my wisdom using the free boxes that I got from the liquor store I wheeled several packages into this store and was told that most of the shippers would not ship in liquor boxes.

But they made me a pretty good deal putting my boxes into some of theirs, (which turned out to be the best deal for these packages) and sent them off double boxed.

Twas the season. $$

Shipping for any newly manufactured Chinese product is probably subsidized by the Chinese government, as well as any amount it takes to make the Chinese manufacturer profitable.

The subsidies started with furniture manufacture and successful enough to close down a large number of US furniture plants. The dollars spent of waging an economic war are much more productive than building weapons. Even tariffs can be subsidized. A government can pay off a lot of tariffs for home companies rather than buy a fighter jet.

So all those freshly manufactured, free shipping, items and low cost can be justified even though it seems incredible, if you take "incredible" literally.

Bernie

I was going to keep my mouth shut on this thread but I guess passing on this information won't hurt. This is something I said in response to some of the same questions on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum. I don't know how it might fit when it comes to no-cost shipping from China, so I'll just let others fill in the blanks.

Yes China was an exception, because the US had given emerging nations special rates intended to help bring their economies into step with the global economy. The problem was that while it certainly helped China, it's removal was long overdue. The rates that the Chinese have been paying have not come close to covering the cost of shipping. In other words the PO was forced to subsidize all the small items mailed here from China. Previous administrations had sot to roll back the rates. Few on this side of the Pacific wanted the subsidy to continue, but this administration was the first to get get something done. It's common knowledge that the PO disliked the arbitrary low rates, because they were obligated to subsidize all the small items that came into the country via the mail stream.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Curti said:

I suspect FEDEX is much the same as UPS . 

I do know FedEx has what is called Smartpost for a service that hands off packages to the USPS. I'm unfortunately experiencing such a service as we speak, seems the package is stuck somewhere in New Mexico for the past 4 days with not explanation from either party. Not an important item so I don't mind the wait but the thought of this service has me concerned a bit. 

Ironically it's a bulk box of bubble mailers that I use for shipping small parts out via first class. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

FWIW, USPS rates are going up in 2019 and the biggest change that I see (at least for me) is that first-class package rates will now be 'zoned'.  So you can't ship small packages at a fixed price or you risk getting zinged if you're sending the item far away.  I'm going to review my listings and change them to 'shipping varies by zip code'.

• Thanks 1

I sent a 150lb crate of Buick rear end parts to Amsterdam. UPS, HDL, and FedEx all quoted a price in the $1500-$1700 range. I checked out IPS(International Parcel Service), they quoted a price close to $500, so that`s who I went with, did it all on line, they emailed me shipping labels, directions and such, with instructions to drop off at local FedEx. HUH? WHAT? Take it where?  To the same place that quoted me a price 3x higher.  I dropped the crate off at FedEx on Thursday morning in Sherman, Tx., Fri. morning crate was in Memphis, Tn., Sunday morning crate was at Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris, France, Tuesday at customs in the Netherlands, and delivered to the buyer on Friday. Buyer was shocked, he expected it to take 3mo., and got it in 9days..  Shipping across the pond?  IPS, in my opinion, is the best..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I sent a 150lb crate of Buick rear end parts to Amsterdam. UPS, HDL, and FedEx all quoted a price in the $1500-$1700 range. I checked out IPS(International Parcel Service), they quoted a price close to $500, so that`s who I went with, did it all on line, they emailed me shipping labels, directions and such, with instructions to drop off at local FedEx. HUH? WHAT? Take it where?  To the same place that quoted me a price 3x higher.  I dropped the crate off at FedEx on Thursday morning in Sherman, Tx., Fri. morning crate was in Memphis, Tn., Sunday morning crate was at Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris, France, Tuesday at customs in the Netherlands, and delivered to the buyer on Friday. Buyer was shocked, he expected it to take 3mo., and got it in 9days..  Shipping across the pond?  IPS, in my opinion, is the best..

I've Used them before for an NOS crated 69 Pontiac Executive bumper and same deal it was surprisingly cheap and handled by Fed EX.   Small stuff that isn't too big for USPS is still better to go that way but anything that exceeds the post office specs, IPS. 

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I've Used them before for an NOS crated 69 Pontiac Executive bumper and same deal it was surprisingly cheap and handled by Fed EX.   Small stuff that isn't too big for USPS is still better to go that way but anything that exceeds the post office specs, IPS. 

Not sure if it was the came company but a buyer in Australia worked out a shipping deal something like that on a crankcase, far cheaper than everyone else. Bob