52 Super Estate Wagon model 59

PSHAW

It's a three-holer Super Model 59 Estate Wagon . . . not a four-holer Roadmaster Model 79R Estate Wagon.

Nice ride but IMO the 1953 Skylark Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels + a hot-wrench job on the coil springs would look better.  :D

image0-005.thumb.jpg.2e1539ee7028d737d87e6f96df2481a4.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Nice car, and man, I don't think I've ever said this, but I sure am jealous! One of the cars I've wanted for a long time is a 47-52 Buick woody. That looks like a good car you have. Do you know what the history is of it, and has it had much work done to it?

As for work to do, it depends on what it has had done to it in the recent past, and whether or not you have trust in any previous work that was done. If the length of time since all the fluids have been changed is unknown, that would be a good place to start, brake, trans, coolant clean and flush, and of course engine oil and filter.  Rear axle oil doesn't need attention very often, but at least a check to make sure the level and condition of it is good. If the engine is still original, taking the oil pan off and cleaning it out is a good plan. They can get so much sludge in the bottom that it can restrict the pick up, and starve it of oil.

Likewise a through check of the braking system is a good plan, if it hasn't been done recently. Don't neglect the emergency brake either.

Otherwise, go out and enjoy your new ride. You certainly won't be seeing many others at local cruise nights!

Thanks for sharing.

Keith

1 hour ago, D Yaros said:

Very nice!  Pray tell, what are those items sticking up from the floorboard on either side of the second row seat?

Must have something to do with the seat folding up to extend the cargo area in back.  Brackets to hold the seat back when it's folded down?

On 12/20/2018 at 5:48 PM, D Yaros said:

Very nice!  Pray tell, what are those items sticking up from the floorboard on either side of the second row seat?

Yes, those arms are the front pivots for the folding rear seat.

The seat bottom (cushion) folds forward and the seat back folds down to create a flat surface that extends from the tailgate to the back of the front seat.

This car was restored by the Ionia Wood Body Factory Museum in Michigan where it was displayed for 18 years.  There was a large write -up for this car in a Sacramento area newspaper, The Union, March 10, 2006, by Jack Fortner.  In his column he states that this car is 1 of only 11 still known to exist.  The interior is completely original with no flaws that I can see.  All the gauges, clock and radio work perfectly too.  The previous owner added the 1953 Skylark wire wheels and split the exhaust manifold for dual exhaust.  Paint and wood seem to be in excellent condition.  I intend to enjoy this vehicle for years to come.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...