nickg112

1950 Chevy 3100 pickup transmission linkage hang up

My transmission linkage will hang up on occasion when shifting from 1st or reverse into second or third. When this happens, I can wiggle the linkage at the steering column to get it moving in and out of gear. My Chevrolet manual shows how to adjust. There is a "shifting box" mounted on the steering column where the transmission linkage is connected to. This is where the hang up occurs. As part of the adjustment procedure, there is a dimension of 3/32 to 1/8 inch shown in figure 3 of the gearshift lever image below. I am relatively close on that dimension.
The dimension I am having trouble with is figure 4 of the steering wheel image below. Mine measures 4 inches. The way "To correct clearance is to loosen two gearshift control shaft and housing assembly clamp bolts and move housing assembly with upper and lower control shafts and gearshift lever up or down to obtain necessary clearance", according to the manual. I think they are talking about two bolts on the shift shaft that is located on the inside of the truck near the floor.

Question: How can this move an inch when the gearshift lever has a screw holding it in place on the steering column? Has anyone done this and if so, please explain.

gearshift lever.jpg

steering wheel image.jpg

When I owned a Chevy with this setup, the main cause was not the adjustment, but sloppy linkage. Before you start this procedure, be sure all your linkage connections do not have extra play. This includes where it connects to the transmission as well as above. As I remember there may be rubber grommets involved that can fail, but it has been years ago. It takes very little extra play to cause the shifters not align up properly, so jiggling can make them fall into place. 

Thank you for the information. I have checked the play and it seems to be at a minimum. The shift lever will work for awhile but then hangs up as described. I still believe that the 4 inch dimension between the steering wheel and gearshift control shaft is the culprit but I am having problems setting that dimension as described. If I bring that dimension in as shown in figure four then the 1/8 inch clearance is off as shown in figure three. I am missing something in these instructions. It just does not make sense.

I have never had a problem with the upper control arm clearance so I do not know how to answer your question

I have encounter this problem on various column shift GM products and it has always been corrected in steps  7, 8, and 9. if the linkage is tight. The alignment problems causing the levers to not to fall in place is almost always fixed by aligning the levers as described in the above steps as long as the components in it are not excessively worn. I can not find anyone who remembers having a problem with the upper portion of the shifter.

Sorry I cant help further. Hopefully someone else has experienced this and will chime in, Keep us posted on your progress.

I finally fixed the problem. I replaced the shift rod bushings. That removed all slop in the linkage. It now shifts perfectly

shift rod bushings.jpg

• Like 1