Help with my 51 Chevy Wagon

EOB

Hi. I got a 51 chevy wagon this summer and have been taking it apart. I'm looking for a few parts, as well as help with questions that have been popping up as I restore it. I am new at this and am not a mechanic type. I'm trying to learn as much as I can with an old car that I've been wanting for a long time. I wanted to see if there are any tin woody enthusiasts out there before I toss out my questions and parts needs. Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums.  You should scroll down past technical, Buick, CCCA, Ford and Chrysler.  Then comes GM products and there is a section for Chevrolet.  Every one here would love to see pictures.

9 hours ago, EOB said:

... I am new at this and am not a mechanic type. I'm trying to learn as much as I can...

Welcome to the forum, EOB!  You'll find many

knowledgeable people here from all sorts of backgrounds.

I'm sure people can help with your '51 Chevy questions.

One thing I've heard people advise, is that it might not

be a good idea for a newcomer to take his car all apart

at once.  Restoration takes a long time, even thousands

of hours for an experienced restorer;  so to have your car

all in pieces can end up being overwhelming.  Many cars,

once taken apart, never get put back together!

Is your car in decent enough condition that you can

simply make it driveable?  Then you'll have something you

can enjoy.  Then, perhaps, repair or upgrade one part at a

time--giving priority to certain areas as needed--so you'll

almost always have a running, driveable car.

The good news is also that you don't have to be a mechanic

to enjoy old cars.  You may rely on others' skills, but you

can still have fun.  All the best to you!

• Like 7

Best wishes on the restoration. I have to agree with both "John S"s comments. A shop manual is a must. In the 1970's and 80's I would work on my old cars (out of necessity...and they weren't that old at the time) without shop manuals. I didn't even know they existed back then. Even if the manual costs 70 or 80 bucks (it'll likely be less), you need one.

For future reference, if you go looking for olds cars, it helps to look for something that's drive-able, as the other John said. That way you can find out what it needs and doesn't need before you buy it. Hopefully you were able to do that with the Chevy.

Also, something else that I've learned: most $3000 old cars you see for sale aren't $3000 old cars...They're $13,000 cars waiting to happen, at a minimum. And often more like $23,000. You were smart to buy a Chevy because old Chevys and Fords - even from the era of your car - are relatively easy to get parts for. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the welcome. I took Tinindian's advice and reposted in the GM section with my questions and a couple photos. Sorry if that was redundant. I  am still learning how to navigate my way around this site. 

Feel free to keep this thread and develop it.

The overall "General Discussion" category (at the

top of the list of categories) gets the

most notice, and probably the most answers.

Some of the specialized categories don't get seen

as much.  I hope the Chevrolet section gives you 

answers, but questions there don't get nearly the

number of views as you'll get in this General Discussion

category.

Please tell us more about your car, EOB, and post a few

pictures here if you have them.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

EOB, most of the mechanical parts for a station wagon, Ford, Chevy, etc, will be the same as the passenger car. It's the unique body parts that will be hard to find. Rear cargo floor mats, all the one of a kind glass pulls, tailgate parts, etc will take some searching. One other note is that you might consider joining the National Woodie Club.

• Like 1

Shop manual can be found here although a paper copy  is nice to thumb through in the shop . That site also has some valuable info in the 49 Fisher SW body manual which is the same body as yours. If your wagon is rust free you are lucky; rocker panels , floors , quarters, taillgate. I can send you pictures of what not to buy!!

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

Brad

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your kind advice and words. I will come back to this thread since it seems to have more traction. Here were my questions. 

1) My wood door panels are shot. Where do you recommend I have those made? I see that the front door panels have a sway or curve in them that will need to be massaged to fit. Not my skill set.  And what is a good price for these inside panels and walls?

2) The trim above the windows (running from front to back of the car) are plastic. Did chevy make a wood version in previous years for this wagon or were they always plastic? 

3) I have tried and tried to use a tool to get off the door handles but no luck. I have several different tools but nothing. I finally used a screw driver and got one set off but it was a bit too much work. Any suggestions? (I've also tried the shop rag method and it did not work to get the small horseshoe clip out.)

4) OK, with the handles... why did chevy make a different style handle for the wagon?!? I was hoping to buy a set of repro styleline handles to replace mine but I was told by a few people that the repros don't work for the wagon? Is this true? Can't I buy a new set and make them work anyway? What is so different? 

5) My tailgate is missing the little lock box mechanism that sits in the tailgate? I have the outside handle but it just turns and turns since it doesn't have anything to lock into. I am also missing the inside tailgate handle. Anyone know where I can get that? Do any other year model wagons fit my 51? 

6) Lastly, it seems like there are so few parts made for this wagon. Why is that? Is it because there were so few made? I could make an entire 51 chevy truck with all the parts out there. But the wagon parts (or repro parts) are so hard to find (i.e. gauges, interior trim, hood and tailgate emblems!!!) They make all chevy hood ornaments out there but not the 51! 

I don't want to offend the purists but I am updating this car for extra safety and daily usage with my kids. I will swap out the inline 6 for a V8 small block, add power brakes and steering, seat belts. I am on my way with this and know it is a long term project (and I'm trying to stay under budget! Ha!). I am patient and I'm taking lots of photos and my daughter is labeling everything. And thank you for your assistance. I am thrilled to learn from you all. 

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

• Like 3

By the way, this car is  NOT rust free!  I did recently replace the floor pans and it looks good. I have taken out all the seats (and it does have the third row!). There are a few rusted parts on the body and some paint starting to bubble from rust under it. I am going to start cleaning up the underside rust and then paint over it with a POR 15 or something to protect what metal I have. The wood panels inside are shot so they will have to replaced. [sigh]. But overall it's in decent shape and has a lot of potential. I love working on it when I have time. 

You don't indicate where you are located, but I used Kline Family Workshop, located in PA, 717-266-8696 for the wood for my '46 Ford Wagon. They are great people to deal with and do fantastic work. Trying to find a part such as the tailgate lock you are looking for can take some searching. As I mentioned in my original post by joining the National Woodie Club you get the Woodie Times magazine every month and it has classified ads that might help you. There are about two dozen members listed in the 2018 Roster of Members that own tin woodies. The Roster also includes names and contact information that may be useful to you. One of the reasons "tin woodies" are fairly rare is, that as cars got old they were sometimes passed down to new drivers, usually teenagers. What teen wanted a station wagon, they wanted coupes or convertibles. Wagons went to scrap yards. Enjoy the heck out of your car!

• Like 1

My folks had a '51 Chevy 4-door sedan, and also a '51 Pontiac Tin Woodie back in the day. Both were excellent cars, and very decent drivers when properly maintained - and could easily be so today, at substantially lower cost than the modifications you suggest. Not offended - just suggesting that you might just be pleased with the wagon the way it was built after repairing worn out steering, suspension, brakes, etc.

Good luck with your very collectable Chevy, and please look into both AACA and VCCA.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

EOB

Grew up riding in the back of a 51 Chev Businessman's coupe. Not sure what your current power set up is but I think the options for 1951 were either the 216 with the manual  or the 235 with the auto. ( they were for 1952)

To me , the 216 whining through the gears is magical , not to mention very dependable and roadworthy. The 235 gives you full pressure oiling to the rods and is pretty much bullet proof. You can even tune it ;likely a lot cheaper than modifying the car for a V8.

I'm with Marty, not offended but you are depriving yourself of a true old car experience if you throw the V8 in there.

Brakes are your call . You can order new brake parts at Rock Auto and stainless lines from either Chevs of the 40's or National Chevy Association. Run DOT 5 silicone in it and you will likely never have to touch it again. ( I know , I know , others will disagree!) .

Other comments

I'm with you on the seat belts, Just make sure you find good anchors for them

Nice photos , green is my colour of choice.

Door panels are tough as they were formed in a press to get the compound curve and I've heard  are hard to duplicate.

As for the interior tailgate handle. yep .unobatanium. Are you actually missing the lock mechanism itself? Double check that as there is a pot metal  cam inside the lock that breaks and duplicates your symptom. You can carefully disassemble the lock and get a machine shop to duplicate the cam    (or spent some time with some scrap aluminum and a file!) . This I know !

I  think you will file that the interior trim is wood grained metal, not plastic . Only plastic on the car are the interior knobs.

Door handles and possible interchange?? Try GM Parts wiki. I don't know who posted this stuff but is is amazing . I have a heck of a time searching it but if you are patient, you can usually find what you need.

From the 1954 parts manual:

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=121311

Door illustration showing handle group ID 10.512:

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=121888

Wish I had your third seat!!!!

Brad

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello out there. My vent window frames are rusted and one glass in cracked. Can you tell me the best way to replace these? Do the chevy truck vents windows fit the 51 styleline wagon vent windows? What would you recommend? Replacing the whole part? Rechroming them? Getting a repro version that fits my wagon? 

When I used to own a 52 chevy truck, every part possible is out there to buy. But I can't seem to find parts for this wagon. Do any other vent windows fit this styleline deluxe wagon? 

EOB

Try the parts wiki link I sent you . I'd like to say they are likely the same vent window across the passenger car lineup but you already caught me out on the interior door handles!

Here is the link to the front door parts diagram http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=121887

Here is the link to the front ventalator assembly group 10.650 http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=121903

I'm not quite sure why the 52 wagon right side has its own part number!

I don't see any truck parts listed.

Brad

• Like 1