HELP Ford 250 4.1 l6 timing issue

fieldmav

Hello i need help!

within the last year i have been rebuilding my 76 Maverick and i have modified the original motor, completely rebuilding it . boaring 030.0 over and adding dual exhaust headers as well as a remanufactured carter YF carb .

But the problem has come upon the timing and the power it wont produce . i belive its the damper on the Harmonic Balancer But no matter what i try i cant get the engine to act right . i dont know if it has to do with the fuel pump or the carb not being set right but im at a loss . 

Edited by fieldmav (see edit history)

One thing to check: if you have replaced the timing cover or the harmonic balancer, do the timing marks on the new items match those on the original?

When I replaced the harmonic balancer on my 1980 Chevy truck, I noticed that the timing mark differed by about one inch from my original.  Without compensating for that change, I would have a poorly running vehicle.

I have heard about this for Chevy engines; don't know if it applies to Fords, too.

Edited by RansomEli (see edit history)

So the 

4 hours ago, SMB said:

Explaining exactly what the symptoms of the timing problem are would be helpful.

So when the engine idles and I point the timing light towards the TDC mark the notch on the harmonic balancer reads incorrectly due to the deterioration of the damper on the harmonic balancer , but when I made my own mark at TDC on the harmonic balancer with chalk and tried to tune it the engine still acted up . Could it be the carburetor that needs tuning or the valves ? 

necessity is the mother of invention. back in the 70's, it seems the timing marks on ford v8's were impossible to read. so here's what we did, we would advance timing a little(with vac. advance disconnected), then power brake it until it started pinging, then back it off just a hair. if it cranked ok when hot, we were done. never had one come back with a problem.