Sign in to follow this  
mikesbrunn

leaf springs

I am working on a 1914 locomobile and need to get some new leaf springs made. seems simple enough, I have the old ones which are very straight forward. As I have found out - most just order something from a book-  very few actually make them.   looking for some one in eastern Pa or NJ

thanks - Mike

Years ago I had springs made for a 1910 REO by Palmer Spring in Providence, RI. They've been in business since 1849 but whether they have specs for the springs is questionable. I'm not even certain they still make custom springs but they may be worth calling.

If the spec. isn't available, calculate the weight of the car, WB length, total length, the length of the spring eyes at the chassis, and type of ride wanted. You should  then be able to get a shop to make you what you need or find a suitable spring from stock. Don't give up, springs are replaced by many restorers. Are your springs missing?

bud's springs in Lancaster, pa    got name from the amish who are making wooden wheels for my 1914 locomobile.  I figured they would know because their buggys all have some form of springs

• Like 2