Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Last of the Turbine Spinners.

I noticed that 1966 was the last yr that came with the stunning and perhaps potentially injurious, wheel spinners for both Buick Riviera and Chevy Corvette. I personally love the look of the gladiatorial dual bladed Riviera turbine wheel covers. The book entitled, Guide to the United States Popular Culture, mentions: "In the late 1960s, U.S. Federal safety standards banned two- and three-bar spinners from manufacture in the United States."

Cheers to the outlaw-dangerous, yet elegant Riviera Turbines! 

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 7.15.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.05.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 9.40.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 9.40.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.24.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.26.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.25.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.04.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.24.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.30.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.29.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.33.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.42.39 AM.png

wheelcover.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always thought they looked great!  I had the bolt on turbines on my former 64 and currently have the knock off wheels on my 66 Corvette.  Another feature that has gone by the wayside are the concealed headlights.  They may have been troublesome on some makes and models but I liked them as well. Unfortunately, they do not meet the current federal regulations regarding pedestrian impact standards. 

• Like 3

Like I had on my '57 Austin Healey 100-6.  Had to carry the big dead blow hammer in the trunk.  True knock offs.

Image result for Austin Healey wire wheels

• Like 2

Great history from Wikipedia:

"The spinner cap was introduced into the commercial vehicle and passenger automobile market in the 1930s. The spinner or "knock-off" was designed to keep the wheel on the automobile. They were screwed on and "knocked on tightly" using hammers and tools, hence the name "knock-offs". Most setups will feature right-hand threads on the left side of the vehicle, and left-hand threads (rotate clockwise to remove) on the vehicle's right side so the screw-on spinner would stay tightened as the auto was in forward motion. The knock-off spinners were used until the development of the lug nut method attaching the wheel.

During the 1950s automobile manufacturers offered simulated wire wheel covers for a look of luxury that featured criss-crossing spokes designed to look like the real wire wheels that were used on vehicles in the 1920s and 1930s. These "spinner-wheel covers" were available on standard as well as featured on custom cars, and lowriders quickly adapted them for their own vehicles.

During the early-1960s, the simulated wire wheel covers returned, but with new look designed to emphasize sportiness with their radiating spokes and center "spinner caps." These classic center spinner caps feature a rigidly mounted propeller-like center element, usually with two or three projecting "blades."[They were intended to simulate the knock-off hubs that were used on vintage racing vehicles and classic sports cars where a hammer or special wrench was used on the spinner to release or tighten the wheel to the hub.

These spinner hubcaps were most often an optional appearance upgrade to the standard equipment hubcaps or full wheel covers that attached to stamped steel wheels.

In the late 1960s, U.S. Federal safety standards banned the use of protruding bar spinners on automobiles."

My first love of spinners was from the Mach 5.

Coincidentally the Mach 5 or Mach GoGoGo was originally serialized in print in Shueisha's 1966 Shōnen Book - immediately prior to the U.S. ban. Which made them even more HIP!

154405_10152320403050464_1581054211_n.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chimera said:

I noticed that 1966 was the last yr that came with the stunning and perhaps potentially injurious, w: "In the late 1960s, U.S. Federal safety standards banned two- and three-bar spinners from manufacture in the United States."

I would have thought that if you were that close to be injured by a knock off spinner, you well well on the the way to being flattened by the rest of the car. Perhaps we need lumps of jelly or sponges to provide a softer impact as we run over someone. Only kidding, but safety laws certainly do amuse me at times. 

At at least mine will give you a smiley face as they pass over you.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀

71EB907A-94E6-466A-9F39-84C6DF392B9E.png

12 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

NOS......enjoy,

Tom

thumbnail.jpg

Very nice Tom.  I think these were the nicest ever fitted to a car.  They were heavy and tough to keep clean but worth the effort!  Do you have a full set?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

Very nice Tom.  I think these were the nicest ever fitted to a car.  They were heavy and tough to keep clean but worth the effort!  Do you have a full set?

Hi Pat,

Yes...

Tom

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

This is probably why they were banned:

https://youtu.be/lLuNstLjP1c?t=40

😎

Nice scene. The drop top mustang looks like it has a cross between the Riviera two-bar Turbines and silver arrow hubs.

Goldfinger came out in 1964 at the height of the turbine wars; I bet sales went up big time after movie release. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 6.24.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 6.24.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 6.26.43 PM.png

The 66 cap is one of my favorites, right there with the Caddy sombrero. I always thought vette knockoffs would look amazing on a 1st gen riviera. 

Those are just stock three bar Mustang wheel covers.

Nos 1964-1964 Ford Mustang 13 Spinner Hubcapwheel Cover

Lest we not forget the original from Ben Hur's chariot race

Image result for ben hur chariot wheel spikes

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RoadShark said:

We've all seen the documentary evidence of the havoc these things can unleash:

thunder road.jpg

Leo's dreaded nemesis of Greased Lightning from the movie Grease

3 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

Jealous!!

Pat,

I`ll trade `ya for a summer with your Corvette...as long as it`s a big block with 3 pedals,

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Pat,

I`ll trade `ya for a summer with your Corvette...as long as it`s a big block with 3 pedals,

Tom

I have 3 pedals and it has spinners (real knock offs) but will a small block do?!!

F5E1539F-4C24-4852-82F5-099ECD82F38D.jpeg

Edited by Pat Curran
update content (see edit history)
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

I have 3 pedals and it has spinners (real knock offs) but will a small block do?!!

F5E1539F-4C24-4852-82F5-099ECD82F38D.jpeg

sweEEEEET Vette! Turquoise Mist?

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Chimera said:

sweEEEEET Vette! Turquoise Mist?

Mosport Green.  It was a one year only color.  My former 65 Riviera was Turquoise Mist which is one of my favorites.

• Like 1