‘60s Olds/Buick question

Stanley Minor

I am writing a piece that is set in the 60s, trying to be historically accurate as possible. Part of the story takes place in a 60s station wagon—Olds or Buick. Did these models have a clock on the console? If so, was there a second hand? If so, did it “sweep,” or did it “click” its way around the dial (by which I mean, was the second hand motion continuous without pause, or did it stop with each tic or toc before moving on)? Odd request I know, but thanks for any help.

Edited by Stanley Minor
Clarification (see edit history)

I can't speak for Buicks, but the few Oldsmobiles of the 1960s that did have consoles never had a clock mounted there. Olds installed a tachometer or occasionally a vacuum gauge. The 1962-63 Jetfires even had a vaccum/boost gauge on the console. Oldsmobile clocks were always located in the dash. Oldsmobile clocks of the 1960s did have a second hand - even when mounted in the center of the tachometer on the infamous Tic-Toc-Tachs of 1968-72.

By the way, no Oldsmobile station wagon of the 1960s ever came from the factory with a console of any sort. Bench seats were the only option.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply, Joe. Do you happen to know (on models where the clock was separated from the tach) where on the dash the clock was normally located—that is, on driver’s side, passenger side, near the middle and the radio? Again, thanks for any and all “authenticity.”

Edited by Stanley Minor (see edit history)

Are you asking about the 1960 model year specifically or 1960's in general? Clock location varied with both year and model, though typically it was to the right of the speedo. Upholstery could have been cloth or vinyl, again depending on year and model.

On 12/14/2018 at 1:12 AM, Stanley Minor said:

Thanks to all who replied. Research is the most tedious part of writing, but you guys made this one easy.

A lot of literature available here:--> http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/

The search function is not great

A google search "1960 Oldsmobile site:http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/" can give more results

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)