56 dynaflow fluid leak

56 Buick

Hi all

I have just seen a puddle of transmission fluid under the car.  The leak appears to be coming from the gasket or seal at the shaft bearing on the high accumulator of the transmission.

I will have to repair this issue at some stage but in the meantime i was wondering whether to use a leak stop additive.  Anyone have any advice on whether this is a good idea and which additive to use.

Thanks

Drew

Is this an original transmission or a rebuilt transmission? It matters if you're going to use stop leak. The accumulator seals are not sold with the rebuild kits so they are most likely original, but if your other seals are original too, the stop leak may ruin them.

• Thanks 1

No way of knowing for sure but i have a sales type sheet from when the car was sold at auction some years back and the sheet refers to the car being restored and the dynaflow being rebuilt ... but i have no way of knowing if that is true and whether that means all the seals were replaced - unless in doing some portion of a rebuild all the seals have to be replaced?

I’m no believer in “repair in a can”, BUT,

I had very good luck with the Lucas transmission sealer/conditioner product in a leaky

Flight Pitch Dynaflow in a 58 Roadmaster.

Pricey, but noticable reduction in fluid getting past the torque tube seal , especially when the car

was driven on a more regular basis.  They don’t like sitting around!

9 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

leak appears to be coming from the gasket or seal at the shaft bearing on the high accumulator

Stay away from the additive isle at the parts store.  There is a small lip seal at that location that is easy to replace.   Needs to be matched after removal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, old-tank said:

Stay away from the additive isle at the parts store.  There is a small lip seal at that location that is easy to replace.   Needs to be matched after removal.

Thanks.  When you say the seal will need to be matched do you mean there are different sized shafts that were used by Buick?  I would prefer to get a replacement seal and gasket in before i  start the work, so there is less down time.  Unfortunately the shop manual is silent on specifics other than to say there is a gasket and a seal.