1928 Buick spark control question

Vintagecarguy

Hello all,

my grandfather and I are looking at a 1928 Buick 115 series sedan and I was just wondering about the spark control. I know that at sometime in the late 1920s you retarded the spark for starting and then advance it when you went to drive - or once it was running - as there was a mechanical advance on the distributor.

Is this the correct procedure for this car?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Vintagecarguy.

• Vintagecarguy changed the title to 1928 Buick spark control question

Larry is correct.  If you are hand cranking or using the starter, it is easier on the starter if you retard the spark.  In the case of hand cranking, you really want the spark to be set to fire After Top dead Center.  Once started you want all the spark to occur before TDC.  The lever allows you to advance the spark for improved performance, and the mechanical advance allows some automatic adjustment for speed.    Hugh 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Larry is correct.  If you are hand cranking or using the starter, it is easier on the starter if you retard the spark.  In the case of hand cranking, you really want the spark to be set to fire After Top dead Center.  Once started you want all the spark to occur before TDC.  The lever allows you to advance the spark for improved performance, and the mechanical advance allows some automatic adjustment for speed.    Hugh 

6 hours ago, hchris said:

Agreed to all of the above, put simply, if the engine is turning slowly i.e. starting or slogging up a hill then the spark needs to be retarded, at normal road speeds it needs to be advanced. 

Hubert_25-25 and hchris, thank you both very much. I greatly appreciate it.

With an electric starter, retarding the timing is not that big of a deal.  But if you hand crank it and have the timing advanced the engine can back fire and the crank can come around and break your arm.  Also known as the "Ford Fracture"

Ford Fracture: A common injury caused by cranking a Model T Ford to start it.  The engine could backfire, causing the crank to spin the opposite way, causing injury to arms and wrists.

• Like 2