How to hunt for an older car?

Cravensvt

Depends on the state you are located in. Rules vary greatly. 

Here in Ohio, I once found my old 1968 Camaro by following a trail of title exchanges. But I absolutely could not do that on a state level. I had to go to the county level registrar's office. Fortunately, here in Greene Co they had maintained a handwritten index card file of old title exchanges. Once I was able to prove the local officials that I really had owned the car at one time, and give them a satisfactory reason for me wanting to find it again, they did a little searching and found it for me. The fact that I knew about when it had changed hands helped a lot. 

It might help to start searching by color and model description, and posting a request for help in finding the car on social media, such as Facebook. For example, if you ask if anyone knows where a Camaro of a certain serial number is, you'll likely get no response at all. However, if the car had any distinctive qualities, you might get some help. (IE, you might make a request for help on Facebook something like: "I'm trying to find the 1968 Z28 Camaro my dad once owned in Baltimore. He traded it in at the local Pontiac dealer on the east side in 1970. It had white stripes, white deluxe interior, and Cragar SS wheels at that time. Anyone remember that car?" )

In my experience, ANYTHING you know or remember about the car might help. Do you have any idea who your dad sold the car too? Where they lived, or what they did for a living? Have any old photos of the car? You gotta give folks something to go on, in order to have any kind of slim chance at all. Good luck! 

• Like 4

Craven, 

I used to own the UNITED STATES CAMARO CLUB, years ago. I was the editor and publisher of our bi-monthly full-color magazine, called CAMARO CORRAL. This was a very common request for help from our membership. I spent many hours trying to assist folks with similar searches. However, that was in the 1980's and early 1990's...before the greatly increased security measures regarding public info which resulted after the tragedy of 9-11, and before the advent of online social media and ubiquitous access to the internet. 

SOMETIMES this task can be accomplished, but it is gargantuan, and fraught with pitfalls and immovable brick walls. Sometimes, with fairly common cars like Camaros, you may actually be better off to find a nearly identical car, and restore it to the way your Dad's car was when he had it. 

Either way, I wish you good luck. 

• Like 3

As lump alluded, most state privacy laws prevent such a title search. Have you tried a Google search of the VIN? That too is a long shot. You might try the Camaro Research Group at camaros.org/forums.  The CRG has close to 6k members. A detailed description and original location might turn up something there. Most current First Generation Camaro owners are going to be suspicious of such inquiries,  unless you have a good story...

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Lump,

My dad and I are in Miami Fl, but he is from Ohio, and that is where he sold the car, in Cleveland. It sounds like you know a bit about hunting cars in Ohio, am I better off going the social media and forums route, or try to get a hold of the DMV in Cleveland and see what I can do? Or maybe both and cross my fingers?

1 hour ago, Cravensvt said:

Lump,

My dad and I are in Miami Fl, but he is from Ohio, and that is where he sold the car, in Cleveland. It sounds like you know a bit about hunting cars in Ohio, am I better off going the social media and forums route, or try to get a hold of the DMV in Cleveland and see what I can do? Or maybe both and cross my fingers?

Craven, 

You would almost surely be wasting your time with the DMV.

All those years ago when I was publishing CAMARO CORRAL magazine for our USCC members, this subject was so prevalent among my membership/readers that I decided to try and find my old 1968 Rally Green SS 396 Camaro as a case project, for an article to be featured in our magazine. I frankly didn't believe people at the Ohio State Registrar's office when they told me that they kept no records for any transactions over 5 years old, including titles. Indeed, they told me that they intentionally destroyed titles for all privately owned Ohio vehicles if no license plates had been bought for those vehicles in the past five calendar years. So instructed an editor who worked for me to make an appointment with the head person there, and I devised a hypothetical situation for him to confront her with in the interview. Our premise was:

"Ok, so a muscle car which has been in storage for a decade or more was stolen by criminals. They attempted an assassination of a major federal government official, and used the car for a getaway vehicle. The FBI, CIA, etc, have recovered the car, and want to trace it back to its owner. They march into your office with every kind of subpoena and government power, and demand that you supply them with that information about this car. What would you tell them?" Her reply was, "Sorry, can't help you!" 

This lady-in-charge then took John, the editor into a back room and allowed him to stand there and watch titles being shredded, by the hundreds. No joke. We ran our article that way, and it was one of the most commented-on stories we ever did. 

Of course, many things have changed since the 1980's. I would not be so cumbersome to store information much longer today. However, due to 9-11 and widespread fraud through information theft, it's probably even harder to gain info from DMV's all over the country. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cravensvt,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. With today's privacy laws you will find it difficult to find much information from any governmental agencies. I would suggest you post more information here. Please tell more about your history with the car and what you are attempting to do. For example, if you are trying to help your father see the car one last time, or if you are attempting to buy the car, etc. Include any photo(s) of the car that you might have as well as the serial number and any other identifying information that you have. I would also suggest you contact other clubs such as any Specific Chevrolet club(s) as well as any Camaro club(s). There is a better chance (even if still slim) that you will find it through a fellow hobbyist recognizing it and deciding to help you based on hearing your story.

• Like 2

But this BMV executive understood our legitimate reasons for wanting to find vintage vehicles that we used to own (or, to find previous owners of vehicles we have now). So she offered us the tip that, while the state BMV was diligent in destroying old records to save space, many COUNTY BMV offices were not so strict. AHA! 

To continue the hunt for my old 1968 SS 396 Camaro...First I contacted my State Farm agent, who had carried my auto insurance policy back when I owned that Camaro. He kindly looked up old records, and found my VIN for me. Now I had a foot hold. 

I remembered that I had sold the car to my brother-in-law. Then he sold it to a mutual friend, good friend, who planned to make a race car out of it. Both of those men lived here in Greene County, Ohio, as I had. So I went to the Greene County BMV registrar's office myself, armed with old documentation, and photos of the car in my driveway, etc. I showed the clerk there the article we were working on, which included names that she recognized from the main BMV offices in Columbus, Ohio. So she realized it was a good search for legitimate reasons. She then dug out some little metal file card boxes, stuffed full of handwritten index cards with title info. She dug around for quite a while, and eventually found my B.I.L and the other guy's info on the car (but not mine). She kindly gave me the info of the person who had bought the Camaro from my last known contact. I found that person in phone records, and made a call.

LONG story short, I never actually bought the car back, but I did find it. Frankly, getting it back had not been my major goal. I  had wanted to conduct a search, legally, here in Ohio for an old Camaro, so my readers could read and understand what it takes to undertake such a search in Ohio, at that time in history. 

• Like 3

I'll dig through boxes and find any pictures of the car we have.

Dad bought it at Jackshaw Chevrolet in Cleveland on May 17, 1968. It is a burgundy z28, serial number 124378N421857.

It would not be an original car, he bought it as a race car, had the motor out of it the moment he got it home, but the body was perfect when he sold it.

Ideally I would like to find it and make an offer on it if the current owner is willing to part ways with it.

Dad has had a crap ton of cars over the years, this is the one he talks about with the most longing, it's the one he regrets selling.

Edited by Cravensvt (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A very familiar story, Craven (which I can sympathize with. Been there, done that myself). There are thousands of car-loving people around the world today, with similar stories. Which is why I undertook that editorial project for my old magazine, to help my readers better understand what a search like this entails, and how to attempt it. 

Ok, here are some suggestions, now that you've shared a few more details (Note that these are my personal opinions, based on my experiences): 

First: your number one resource should not be the BMV, insurance company, or the local license registrar. You should start with your father. Assuming he is healthy and remembers the old days clearly, his "memory bank" includes more clues on the likely whereabouts of that car than any outside resource...at least at this stage of the game. 

• Is he aware of who the next owner was, to any degree? (did he sell to an individual, or a car dealer?)
  • Does he have ANY vague memory of the home area of the person or dealer he sold the car to? (His same hometown? Long distance?) 
  • Are any of your dad's old car buddies still around? Might any of them know anything about the car after it left your dad's possession? 
  • Did he ever hear about the car or its whereabouts after he sold it, at all? 

Second:  Dig into the car's racing history. While race cars have usually been "ravaged" of their original parts, etc, they are also more individualized (if you will) than typical daily transportation cars. They take on an individual persona, and when talking about race cars people describe them such as: (IE: "...that copper-colored 68 Super Stock Camaro with big block & tunnel ram called, "Copperhead Rode," and ran b-modified over at __________ drag strip...") Knowing details like that can open an entirely new group of people as resources in your search. 

• Did he ever see the car years later at race tracks around the area, or hear of its whereabouts, maybe? 
  • Did your dad keep any OEM parts removed from the car when he made it into a racer? 
  • What class did he race it in? Which sanctioning body? 
  • What color was it painted, and what lettering on the body when he sold it? 
  • How "stock" was the car when he sold it? (IE: Did it have roll cage? Was factory dash intact, or completely replaced by a big flat sheet of aluminum with few gauges?)
  • What rear end was in it...(original 12-bolt? Dana 60? 9-inch Ford, maybe?) 
  • What about the suspension? Traditional Hotchkiss-style multi-leaf springs in rear? Adjustable 4-link maybe?
  • Was the OE subframe system still in place? Frame connectors? Back-halved? Front halved? 

Third: Do indeed dig out ALL old photos of the car. Pictures at the race track (especially) may include important details which have been forgotten. 

Fourth: Dig through old family records to find any references at all to this car (Purchase info from the dealership when new, service department receipts, insurance receipts, etc) 

Finding an old formerly-owned muscle car is usually a long involved project. Odds of finding the car are not too good, but the fact that it was a race car might be of some help. And, the fact that it was originally a 1968 Z28, instead of a 1967 or 69 might give you some hope. This is the toughest year to prove originality as a genuine Z28, since factory Trim Tags on the firewall were stripped of critical ID codes for that one year. (Due to Federal Govt requirements that year, and the fact that Fisher Body ceased to exist as a separate entity). So anyone who might have your Dad's old 68 Camaro race car sitting under a pile of boxes and dust in an old garage won't be able to prove to prospective buyers that the car is a real Z28. Only your Dad knows that for sure, and if he has any of his old records, then he can prove it. 

Good luck. Please keep us apprised of your progress. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't think that is it. His was set up for the drag strip not the road course.

Thank you though, still going to try to contact him, even if it isn't it, Thompson was my dad's home racetrack, if this is the same Thompson speedway maybe he knows a guy who knows a guy who knows the car.

Edited by Cravensvt (see edit history)

It is a neat coincidence and the fact that the video is at a "Thompson" is very cool too, but dad's was street drive able, and he did take it on the street.

I got very excited when I saw that video.

Thank you very much for sharing it, dad is going to think it's awesome.

Just got some new details from dad.

He sold it in 70/71 to one Lenard Roselle who lived in Cleveland.

In the 80's someone called my grandparents' house looking for dad because they were restoring it and wanted to talk to the original owner, my grandpa didn't get the name or number from the guy and dad never actually got to talk to them.

So I know the car was still alive in the 80's.

Doesn't look like there are any good registries, just attempts that never got off  the ground.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/15-tag-team/182224-how-many-members-have-68-z-28-a-16.html

10C Dale68Z orangeZZ/Blk std LOS07779 Dana Demo Cowl P. ODT POP BOS
11D RPOL72 Ivory/Blk Vinyl/Gold std. int 
11E Jerry@CHP White Survivor#351124
12B 2X4 Butternut Yellow-black vinyl/Blk std RS LOS17444 radio delete
12D Hot Rod Todd Blk/Blk deluxe RS Cowl P. NOM
12D Cook_DW MatadorRed/Blk deluxe LOS Cowl P. no tach/console
12D Clill Special Ord Orange Pt LOS 8L319854 12/07/67 MO w/266 7G20 Sold@Dana 
12D 169INDY White/Black- Red Std LOS#320777 302 emblems
12D RSMS EE 719 NOR Orig Paint & Engine Fold down rear seat
12E Westonz28 Butternut Yellow LOS322365 MacNeish Cert. BU rear
01B 68camaroz28 Butternut Yellow/Blk std. int. Cowl P. ODT BOS 
02C copojo White/Blk std D80 RadioDel Nor#383394 Cowl P. GM Canada Docs
02D sixd8rs Tripoli Turqoise/Turqoise int. NOM #388484
02D realzed born w/Seafrost Green/blk std ODT 61K miles GM Canada Docs
02E paulbruce@sympatico.ca Rallyee Grn/Blk std LOS 302 emblems
02E bowties427 LemansBlue/Blk Std. LOS#332229 Z/28 emblems
02E X66 714 Corvette Bronze/Blk houndtooth LOS#332262 Z/28 emblems
02E Charlie Dawson Corvette Bronze/Blk Std. NOR 302 emblems Orig. Engine
03A SEK Z28 Matador Red/Blk std. In family since 1970
03A Jerry@CHP Matador Red #392050
03C zeds68 Butternut Yellow/Blk std. M22 8N398XXX
03C 302V8 British Green Std 8N399xxx
03D norcal 302 Lemans Blue/Med. Blue Deluxe int. LOS built
03D 68_Z_Survivor Black/Deluxe Int. Factory spoilers 4.10 BOS
04A ggtsvnv Lemans Blue/Blue std. Crawford Chev.,Slayton TX Orig tran/rear
04A Jerry@CHP Dave Strickler's Ol Reliable #411100
04A pjbizjak Ralley Green/ blk std. #413105 storage over 30 yrs.
04B 68RSZEE28 Matador Red/749 RS w/head rests
04C zeds68 British Green/Blk std M22 8N418XXX
04C enio45 Corvette Bronze/Blk std. Build sheet and POP
04C HuggerSS Tripoli Turg/Blk stripes Deluxe Int. RS 4:56 rear
04D Paul68RS/Z28 British Grn/Wht vinyl/Deluxe Parch. Cowl/headers
04D never2manycamaro's British Green/Blk std #422699 POP
04D 68z28sd British Green/Blk std. #426203
04D ZAPPER68 Lemans Blue w/wht vinyl/Parchement N4265xx POP #'s match
04D 3forme Lemans Blue/Deluxe int. Blk top
04D 3forme Red, Blk Deluxe int., Tilt & defrost
04D ALLZS Corvette Bronze LOS built "Survivor"
05A rodent4 British Green/Blk std. int.
05A Jmoore9622 BRG/Blk std. Dad's #429346
05B fastfreddy OO Bronze/Blk std. #429642
05B sooperdave Grotto Blue/Blk std. #N431070 POP Black stripe
05C ZZMike British Green/Blk std. N4368XX M20 ODT POP Cross-ram
05C Kyvox Sequoia Gr/Blk Std 
05C HuggerSS BRGreen POP NOM/Trans RS NCRS rpt Berger 4:56 rear 
05D royal67rs Matador Red 8L341406
05D 68zproject ZZ British Green/Blk std. POP
06A Dave V Lemans Blue/Blue std. Interior Original motor/drivetrain & had doc's.
06A Teet58 Tuxedo Black/?? Int. POP & BOS (Canadian) N446969 Headrest
06B Z28X66 BrGreen BlkStd TicToc/Gages NOM N453XXX dealer invoice & MSO Note-currently has N448650's original MO for engine (posted in Orphans/CRG). 
06C fuelnut Lemans Blue/Deluxe Black (orig) N4549xx Orig blk/trans/rear
06C rocket74 Lemans Blue/Blue N456800 BX4:88 POP/Canadian Doc RadioDel 
07A buzz_mn_58 seafrost green/712 standard int. vin N4630XX 
07A Dayton68Z28 Matador Red, cowl plenum #463934
07B bbd564 Lemans Blu/Blk H-tooth Console/Gauges Orig except 1 repaint
07B yankeechaser Lemans Blue/Blk Houndstooth w/headrests Nor#467951
07C Sonet Ermine White/Red std. 2 owner 38K miles POP
07C Shupee Lemans Blue/Blu std. NOM #4754 
07C TerryC British Green/BlkH-tooth N468XXX Heavily optioned post #160

You can bet that if the car was still alive in the 1980's, it is almost surely still alive today. By the mid 1980's, no one was junking 1st gen Camaros any more, unless they were REALLY junk.

If someone was trying to reach your dad for details on the history of his car, that suggests that there have only been a very few owners. Otherwise, they would have had a tough time reaching back through a longer chain of owners (ask me how I know!) 

• Like 1

And it also suggests that someone suspected that your dad's car was a Z28 or other high performance model, and was looking for a way to prove it. So perhaps it still had its original GM 4-piston disc brakes on front, 3/8" single fuel line, multi-leaf rear springs, rear bumper guards, and perhaps a factory tach with 6,000 rpm redline in the dash, among other features which are part of the Z28 pkg. 

This being the case, you might want to try and get it bought BEFORE revealing that your dad first owned it...especially if he still has any documentation like a Protecto-Plate, build sheet, invoice, window sticker, or a service dept receipt with an imprint from the Protecto-Plate!

It's extremely difficult to prove that a 1968 Z28 is authentic without those things, unless it still has its original numbers-matching drivetrain in untouched condition. But the fact that your dad bought it new WOULD serve as irrefutable evidence...especially for him! 

Good luck. 

I really doubt that the scatter gun approach will have much chance of working. By this I mean concentrating on location and special features would seem to me to be your best chance of finding the car. During the 60's and 70's these cars were being destroyed at an alarming rate. Because the car had survived until 1980, and was being restored is a good sign that it may have survived. Another good sign is the fact that whoever was restoring it knew of the connection between your family and the car. This information will usually stay with the car once it is restored.

Since you live in a rust belt state I would expect that the survival rate of local cars is not very high. In other words there were more cars being imported from the West and South then there were leaving. When sold there is a good chance that a seller wouldn't have to look very hard for a local buyer. The downside of any search for one of these is that many of them have been heavily  modified, so distinguishing features without documentation it may be difficult to recognize.

I would join a Camaro club, find out where the local chapters meet and attend some meetings, armed with whatever you have. Attend as a guest and ask questions. I think that you will have a much better chance of finding the car by staying close to home. You might have some luck by advertising in the national publication, but be careful of scammers. Camaro people are a close knit group, but sadly many of the clubs have become haven for new Camaros and younger owners. Good luck!

• 2 years later...
On 12/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, Cravensvt said:

I'm hunting for my dad's 1968 Camaro. I have the invoice from when he picked it up from the dealer. So I have the serial number but no details from the car after he sold it in 1970.

Any suggestions on where I should start my search?

Thanks!

Please Reach out to me as I have info on your dads car 124378N421857 please email me @ challengerrt70@gmail.com

13 minutes ago, BS23ROB221901 said:

Please Reach out to me as I have info on your dads car 124378N421857 please email me @ challengerrt70@gmail.com

Wow, this might be a real breakthrough on a very difficult search for a lost, formerly-owned Camaro. Very interested to see if this ends up working out for everyone! 

4 minutes ago, lump said:

Wow, this might be a real breakthrough on a very difficult search for a lost, formerly-owned Camaro. Very interested to see if this ends up working out for everyone! 

Thanks!!! emailed the op who knows if he still has that email he set up on this account Dec of 2018 was his last post..

Just now, BS23ROB221901 said:

Thanks!!! emailed the op who knows if he still has that email he set up on this account Dec of 2018 was his last post..

Very cool. Maybe the admins could find this person, and contact him or her directly, and tell them to refer back to this thread. 

20 minutes ago, BS23ROB221901 said:

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 3:23 PM, Cravensvt said:

I'm hunting for my dad's 1968 Camaro. I have the invoice from when he picked it up from the dealer. So I have the serial number but no details from the car after he sold it in 1970.

Any suggestions on where I should start my search?

Thanks!

That information apparently exists somewhere, but authority or ability to motivate the state to access it may be nearly impossible. Very often, FBI link very old crime suspects to particular vehicles if they still exist and even collect forensic evidence. The states in my experience, keep everything, the key is finding it.

A 68 Camaro in Ohio, probably rusted away and scrapped. Even if you could get the state to help, I'd put the chance at finding it in the 5% range.

Your might try writing an article for the Cleveland paper, a nice human interest story. That would most likely get the right parties looking into it if they are willing.

Ron

On 12/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, lump said:

And it also suggests that someone suspected that your dad's car was a Z28 or other high performance model, and was looking for a way to prove it. So perhaps it still had its original GM 4-piston disc brakes on front, 3/8" single fuel line, multi-leaf rear springs, rear bumper guards, and perhaps a factory tach with 6,000 rpm redline in the dash, among other features which are part of the Z28 pkg. 

This being the case, you might want to try and get it bought BEFORE revealing that your dad first owned it...especially if he still has any documentation like a Protecto-Plate, build sheet, invoice, window sticker, or a service dept receipt with an imprint from the Protecto-Plate!

It's extremely difficult to prove that a 1968 Z28 is authentic without those things, unless it still has its original numbers-matching drivetrain in untouched condition. But the fact that your dad bought it new WOULD serve as irrefutable evidence...especially for him! 

Good luck. 

Digging back in my memory here.  didn't they use the special 302cid displacement engine in those, had like 16:1 comp ratio? That 68Z was a very desirable car amongst us teenagers, rare to see one, most were just stock Camaro's. I had a 67 Firebird with a 326, fun car, but a dog off the line with that two-speed. Ghetto cruiser.

Ron

• Like 1

I had a '67 with almost all of the special equipment listed but 327/Saginaw 4-speed & AC.  Z-28 was originally a series of option codes Z-281, 282, 283, & 284 that came with 15" wheels & rear bumper guards (really). No automatic or AC 67-69. Was a 327 with a 283 crank (SCCA limit for trans am class was 305 cid (cubic inch displacement)), think was 11:1 compression with 2.02 straight plug heads (angle plugs came later), and following Chevvy marketing rules was rated at 290 hp (SS 350 with a weak crank was 295hp) reality was about 440 hp. 67 hub caps were different from 68.

68 had all of the stripes and stuff but 67 had none - looked like a 6 cylinder from the side.

Came with front disk brakes in front but the "green sheets" showed how to adapt the rear disks from a Corvette.

Autocross trophies were much smaller than drags. Tires are Goodyear Blue Streaks. Had to refill daily.

camaro.jpg

I just hovered over the OPs name and it shows that he was last on the forums two hours ago. So it would seem that he is still active.

Go back to the original post and hover over the guys name and it will let you send him a private message.

So seeing I like long shots, I found the OP in some very backhanded way and hoped I could get a message through to him. The fact that he has reappeared seems like it might have worked. The time frame fits!  Let’s hope he or the guy with the info posts back on this thread!

Erica

11 hours ago, Locomobile said:

Digging back in my memory here.  didn't they use the special 302cid displacement engine in those, had like 16:1 comp ratio? That 68Z was a very desirable car amongst us teenagers, rare to see one, most were just stock Camaro's. I had a 67 Firebird with a 326, fun car, but a dog off the line with that two-speed. Ghetto cruiser.

Ron

My 1st "Pony Car" was the same! 1967 Firebird 326 2 speed column shift. Slowww off the line but still had the look.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

My 1st "Pony Car" was the same! 1967 Firebird 326 2 speed column shift. Slowww off the line but still had the look.

My buddy had a 68 Firebird with a Pontiac 400 jn it. Car was a dog, one day we set out to figure out why and found out. We knew it had high rearend in it, but we figured out It had a throttle restrictor on it from the factory, the back barrels were barely opening . We got rid of that and she'd run a hole in the wind. That was a great time to play with cars, late 60's thru the 70's

From what I remember about mostly stock cars and street racing was Mopar pretty much dominated that whole thing along with very few from the others, 68-9 Z28, the Mach1 429 Boss Cobra jet, were some of the fastest that I recall. 1970..it was pretty much over with.

Ron

Yes. Same 400 was 350hp in a GTO but the 25th floor decreed "not in an F-body" so they added the throttle stop to the q-jet to quiet it a bit. Common knowlege back then. My Judge was rated at 366 hp and the RA IV was 370hp but NA with AC.

Same people who rated the same engine differently in a Firebird, Tempest, or Catalina and rated the automatic with one cam and the four speed the same hp rating with a considerably hotter cam.

Of course the most famous derating back then was Chevrolet who said the L-88 was 430 hp and the tripower was 435. Sure.