Pilot bearing lubrication

Dean3326

Typically the pilot bushing is a brass bushing that has the lube built in. I am forgetting the exact term right now.

However right or wrong I don't see how a bit of grease would hurt.

I have used bearings there as well but I am of the opinion that bushings work better.

37 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Typically the pilot bushing is a brass bushing that has the lube built in. I am forgetting the exact term right now.

However right or wrong I don't see how a bit of grease would hurt.

I have used bearings there as well but I am of the opinion that bushings work better.

Oilite bronze bushing comes to mind....https://oilite.com/

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If Oilite, then you fill the bushing with motor oil, and squeeze the oil into the pores with your thumb and forefinger before installing it in the crankshaft. I've never had an issue using grease on an older already installed bushing, but C49er has. YMMV  (old saying from the early days of fuel MPG postings).

Either way, do not use so much it flows out and flings onto the clutch facing.

Bob doesn't drive like my Dad taught me. In city traffic stop lights my foot is on the clutch the whole time I am sitting still. I know, should be in neutral according to some owners manuals, but old habits.....😁  Got to be ready to go.

I have always held the clutch pedal down when waiting at a light, except when I was driving a specific 1953 White tractor in 1964/65.  I wasn't strong enough to depress the clutch with one foot.  Pushed the pedal down with both feet and started then drove floating the gears.

I have seen a picture of oil bleeding through a pilot bushing with finger pressure, but I can not find it right now. You should see the motor oil bleed through the pores of the bushing.