Big find in the south of France

sebastienbuick

hello everyone, a friend had an acquaintance who has just died.
This person had a big stock of cars at his home, there are two garages full of cars and there is also plenty of cars in the forest there is next.
For the moment there is only one garage that has been opened and there are 80 cars in these garages.
the second garage has not yet been opened.
This happens in the south of France in the "Tarn".
the cars will all be for sale on 20 January 2019 in France.
there are a lot of american cars because this person was an American car enthusiast.
there is a corvette C3, lincoln continental 1956, 5 eldorado 1969, lincoln mark IV, ... :wub: :wub:
there are also in bad condition :(
here is a short video where we can see some cars

• Like 1

not so sure Roger................ many need a ton of parts. Easier to start out in Europe with a much nicer car then to try and piece together a lot of rust.

shipping is cheap compared with the condition of most of these cars.

this is rat rod material.

• Like 1

on the video we see mostly cars in the forest and in the garden.
we do not see the 80 cars in the garage, many are just dusty, and a lot of cars can be restored ;) 
American cars are very interesting to me, even if there are missing pieces on them. We rarely see in France a contiental 1956 or a bel air 53, toronado 69, ...
Here in France, there are many people who are interreser by these cars ;) 

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I'll take the Stutz. !! 

this Stutz is very beautiful :) 

57 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Really sad what was going on there.

the friend who told me this, know the owner well.
He told me that the former owner was so passionate about American (and European, ...) cars that he bought a lot of cars for the pleasure of having them.
He regularly buy cars and keep them at home, it was his collection of cars.

54 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

The Corvette is a 1980 or '81. Not a very strong seller today, even back here in America.

I would love to have this corvette, but in my opinion there are many people who are interested and the price will quickly go up :( 
  • Like 1

Beautiful video, and incredible collection, Sebastien. Thank you SO much for sharing. I could wander around that property and among those dusty old cars in the barns for days and days, given the chance! 

It's true that the cars are mostly really, really rough. And even here in the states, the costs for parts and restoration would probably exceed the cash value of many of them. But wow, I really like to seem them under layers of dust like this...reminds me of hunting for buried pirate gold treasure. 

One thing about that white Corvette...just about every part is available to restore it, if you have the time, skill, and money. 

I saw where someone described the original collector as having some kind of mental illness, which must have caused him to hoard all those cars, while also not keeping them in nice condition. This may be true, but we collectors DEPEND on people who have kept old cars in storage for decades, when the "normal" person would have sold them or sent them to a junkyard long ago. Thank GOODNESS for the mental condition which causes some folks to keep old cars around long after a normal person would have gotten rid of them! 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lump said:

Beautiful video, and incredible collection, Sebastien. Thank you SO much for sharing. I could wander around that property and among those dusty old cars in the barns for days and days, given the chance! 

It's true that the cars are mostly really, really rough. And even here in the states, the costs for parts and restoration would probably exceed the cash value of many of them. But wow, I really like to seem them under layers of dust like this...reminds me of hunting for buried pirate gold treasure. 

One thing about that white Corvette...just about every part is available to restore it, if you have the time, skill, and money. 

I saw where someone described the original collector as having some kind of mental illness, which must have caused him to hoard all those cars, while also not keeping them in nice condition. This may be true, but we collectors DEPEND on people who have kept old cars in storage for decades, when the "normal" person would have sold them or sent them to a junkyard long ago. Thank GOODNESS for the mental condition which causes some folks to keep old cars around long after a normal person would have gotten rid of them! 

thank you
Yes I would like to walk all day in the middle of all these cars :) .
If all goes well I will go to auction in 20 January  which will take place in "Tarbes" in the south of France :) .
Indeed we can thank this people who keep all these cars :) , because it would have been junkyard years ago.

Not one, but TWO Continental Mark II's in the collection.   And a Lancia Flaminia berlina (sedan).

Who cares about a malaise-era Corvette?  They're a dime a dozen anywhere in the world.   One is better off restoring the red basket case Porsche 356.

Craig

It would have been much better if the deceased owner would have concentrated on maintaining an adequate structure to house maybe 5-6 vehicles and maintained those vehicles in driving condition.  In the end his estate would have been able to sell those 5-6 for much more than the scrap values they will receive for all these hulks.  I feel bad for the two Mark IIs... 

18 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

It would have been much better if the deceased owner would have concentrated on maintaining an adequate structure to house maybe 5-6 vehicles and maintained those vehicles in driving condition.  In the end his estate would have been able to sell those 5-6 for much more than the scrap values they will receive for all these hulks.  I feel bad for the two Mark IIs... 

Of course, I would say you're right about that.

But whatever state-of-mind that caused him to keep all those cars in the first place, probably prevented him from following your wise course of action. And it is also likely that a lot of the other cars now found in this collection, if they had not been "hoarded" by him, would have found their way to salvage yards where they would be gradually stripped of usable parts. Then their stripped-out hulks would naturally have been scrapped decades ago. For that is the "normal" way things happen in the course of human ownership of vehicles.

Thank goodness some folks feel the need to hoard older, obsolete used cars and other equipment. That is undeniably one of our most precious resources for the antique vehicles we all cherish. We just cannot help but wish that they would find a way to take better care of them. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, 8E45E said:

Not one, but TWO Continental Mark II's in the collection.   And a Lancia Flaminia berlina (sedan).

Who cares about a malaise-era Corvette?  They're a dime a dozen anywhere in the world.   One is better off restoring the red basket case Porsche 356.

Craig

We must not forget that we are in France and that it is much more rare to find these cars than in America.
This corvette pleases me a lot and if it sells not too expensive, I would like to buy it :) 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, auburnseeker said:

The video wouldn't work for me,  just a black screen even when I clicked on it

are you going to see the video ?

10 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

the former owner loved his cars a lot and he did not want her to go to the garbage dump, so he bought these cars to keep them longer to extend their life :) 
I really like this Continental  1956 :wub:
we can see at 2min48 , a "nose" of Ferrari 250 GTO own on cars :) 

The video did work later for me.  not sure why it was down the first time.  Surprisingly even with the garage fallen in some of the ones didn't look too bad that were somewhat sheltered.  I would suspect anything outside is pretty much toast.  I decided a long time ago,  if I couldn't keep a car in good storage I wouldn't buy it or atleast keep it to let it become iron oxide.  I wonder some times, unless actually purchased from the scrap yard right before it was heading into the crusher, if the person who bought and squirlled away cars years ago in poor storage didn't do them a disservice.  Someone else may likely have bought them and been a better custodian to them.  Often the guys that squirlled them away would never part with them until their estate did or the town made them, by then they were rarely usable for much more than a few random bits and pieces. 

• Like 1

I do not know why they put 21% volunteer, it may be the walk they take because there is no minimum price to ask.
thank you for the links of sales of cars ;) , they are very beautiful these 1969 riviera :wub: , we also see the front of a 1969 Eldorado  :) 
On the other hand no picture of the advertisements is displayed: /, is this the same for you?
thank you ! :)