'62 Invicta Stationwagon: 3rd seat???

Guest 31tudor

Guest 31tudor

I recently bought a '62 Invicta wagon. It's in remarkably nice shape, and needs very little work. I've been searching, and found that there were roughly 4600 three seat wagons, and 9100 two seat models (courtesy of www.buicks.net).

My wagon is the two seat model, but I'd like to have the third row seat (5 kids, you know). I've been looking for a 3rd seat from another '62 wagon, and have found two, but neither owner wants to part with them. Definetly understandable, I wouldn't either!

Does anyone know if a 3rd seat from another early 60's GM wagon (Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, or other Buick) would fit? Of course, it must fit "right" and fold into the floor like stock. My assumption would be that all '59 through '64 would be the same, but we all know how the General liked mixing things up, right? Upholstery isn't important, as the whole interior is going to be redone.

Any help is appreciated!

Eric Hibbs

Southern Utah

ehibbs@nuteltech.com

I would be careful not to assume that the '59 and '60 third seats will interchange with the '61 through '64 models. The '59 and '60 models seem to be unique in many respects.

I assume that your Estate Wagon has an Ionia body? I know that Ionia was also building the Oldsmobile wagon bodies during this era, so I suspect that any '61 through '64 full-size Buick or Olds wagon with the 3rd seat option would be a workable donor car. It would be great if one of the people owning '62 Buicks with the 3rd seat option could provide you with detailed photos and measurements so that you can be more confident that you've found the right item.

A GM or Fisher body manual for this car would help a great deal I think. I was able to use one of these when reassembling my 64 Sportwagon which has a third seat. But beforewarned, if the full size is anything like the mid size wagon a 3rd seat will not simply drop in. There are some modifications and maybe fabrication that needs to be done. you might log on to the Stationwagon.com discussion group as well. They are a great resource for us wagon folks. Good luck GH

Guest 31tudor

Thanks for the input! I'm still looking, but haven't found another early 60's GM wagon to get measurements from. Anybody willing to get out their tape measure (and maybe digital camera)?

Eric Hibbs

Southern Utah

ehibbs@nuteltech.com