Riviera rocker trim install question

Greymist69

I am installing the black anodized aluminum grooved rocker panel trim pieces on my '69 Riviera, but I can't figure out how the top edge attaches. The holes along the bottom of the panel will bolt up to the bottom of the cars rocker panel without a problem, but the top has to attach to the body in some way, and I don't remember how it is supposed to go. There is a lip that should hook onto something but what?

The front portion mounts into a galvanized metal strip that has a "V" lip in the top - the same holds true for the rear most portion of the rocker panel trim.

The entire length of the panel is secured by 3, to 6 dimpled cup washers screwed, and positioned along the length of the rocker panel.

The lip on the top of the anodized aluminum cover is trapped behind the "v" strips and the dimpled washers.

The sheet metal screw at the bottom of the ribbed molding secure the rocker panel molding to the car.

I also painted my ribbed molding to simulate the Black anodized finish after straightening and dent removal.

The original factory finish had faded from age and exposure to road debris.

It barely shows once it's mounted on the lower portion of the car.

There may be more rocker panel trim info in a '68/'69 Fisher Body Manual.  

. . . trust this helps Graymist69

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, 68RIVGS said:

The front portion mounts into a galvanized metal strip that has a "V" lip in the top - the same holds true for the rear most portion of the rocker panel trim.

The entire length of the panel is secured by 3, to 6 dimpled cup washers screwed, and positioned along the length of the rocker panel.

The lip on the top of the anodized aluminum cover is trapped behind the "v" strips and the dimpled washers.

The sheet metal screw at the bottom of the ribbed molding secure the rocker panel molding to the car.

I also painted my ribbed molding to simulate the Black anodized finish after straightening and dent removal.

The original factory finish had faded from age and exposure to road debris.

It barely shows once it's mounted on the lower portion of the car.

There may be more rocker panel trim info in a '68/'69 Fisher Body Manual.  

. . . trust this helps Graymist69

Yes, excellent - now to find the galvanized metal strip with the v groove in the top...

. . . just hand fabricate some - once the trim pieces are installed nobody will ever see them.

About 18" long, and the bend is about a 1/4"  deep and roughly15 degree offset,

-just enough to allow the lip on the trim to slip over them - same with the dimpled washers.

The trim simply slips over these strips, and dimpled washers and hangs there.

The sheet metal screws  at the bottom secure the ribbed rocker panel trim to the car.