What are some of the great "missing" Classics, prewar American?

trimacar

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

No.  It would take an hour or two with some records to get some possibilities.  Heidi or Billy might very well know.

That’s about fifteen or twenty years ahead of their time...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

The car may still have been around in their time, Ed....

Yes, but they would have been in diapers! September of 69.........were you still in the Army? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Yes, but they would have been in diapers! September of 69.........were you still in the Army? 

Yes, they'd have been in diapers and I was still in the Army, transferred that month from DC to Fort Holabird in Baltimore (strategically located between an aromatic yeast plant and a toilet factory)--and I was still below 30.  But Heidi was going to car shows and tours as a toddler and was interested in Pierces from the start.  The 1969 vintage photo was a moment in time--and I'm not considering who had it at that very moment, but I'll bet her father Eric had laid hands on every Pierce in SoCal at some time or other.  Who else is above ground in SoCal region who might know?

Edited by Grimy
added a descriptor (see edit history)

Ralph M or Eric would have known the cars, and I’m sure Eric would have worked on most of them in the area. The earlier car looks like it might be at Eric’s shop...........from memory the building was a similar color and construction.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 9:01 AM, West Peterson said:

You'll never see this one again, either.

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 9.59.27 AM.png

I know this is an old thread, and I know I hardly ever post here because I don't have a classic car, and perhaps no one can divulge the information, but did Sakhnoffsky's Hayes coupe go out-of country too, or did it just disappear in one of those collections where no one sees the cars for decades until the owner dies?  I know the Weymann coupe went to Morocco and can't come back, but the Haye's coupe is, in my opinion, the best-looking l-29 Cord ever built.  I am one of the odd men out that always thinks closed cars look better than open ones, especially a well-done coupe . . .

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Still existed in the 50s but has gone MIA since.

MinervaMurphy-2.jpg

MinervaMurphy-1.jpg

It's only MIA if you don't know where to look.........you can ask, but I'm not talking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, cobalt1959 said:

I know this is an old thread, and I know I hardly ever post here because I don't have a classic car, and perhaps no one can divulge the information, but did Sakhnoffsky's Hayes coupe go out-of country too, or did it just disappear in one of those collections where no one sees the cars for decades until the owner dies?  I know the Weymann coupe went to Morocco and can't come back, but the Haye's coupe is, in my opinion, the best-looking l-29 Cord ever built.  I am one of the odd men out that always thinks closed cars look better than open ones, especially a well-done coupe . . .

Out of the country. Lots of speculation. Some said middle east, some said as close as Mexico. However, when I heard NEVER to be seen again on these shores, that would make me believe it's now in a country where historic artifacts are not allowed to leave.

4 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Out of the country. Lots of speculation. Some said middle east, some said as close as Mexico. However, when I heard NEVER to be seen again on these shores, that would make me believe it's now in a country where historic artifacts are not allowed to leave.

Like the Weymann in Morocco.  Has anyone ever seen the Weymann car in Morocco since it went there?  Or the 2 cars that were lost in Algeria?

20 hours ago, West Peterson said:

The 1910 Brooke 'Swan Car' was smuggled out of India a number of years ago, and is now in the Louwman Museum in Holland.

The August, 1976 issue of Motor Trend magazine had an interesting article entitled "The Case of the Lost Albanita and Other Cars That Have Mysteriously Disappeared", which included a couple of Duesenbergs hidden away in NYC, and some speculation on a few of the GM Motorama showcars still that were hidden away and still waiting to be discovered.

Craig

13 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The 1910 Brooke 'Swan Car' was smuggled out of India a number of years ago, and is now in the Louwman Museum in Holland.

The August, 1976 issue of Motor Trend magazine had an interesting article entitled "The Case of the Lost Albanita and Other Cars That Have Mysteriously Disappeared", which included a couple of Duesenbergs hidden away in NYC, and some speculation on a few of the GM Motorama showcars still that were hidden away and still waiting to be discovered.

Craig

If there is any justice in the world......they will smuggle the swan car back to New Deli. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, edinmass said:

If there is any justice in the world......they will smuggle the swan car back to New Deli. 

Holland has never declared it a 'national treasure', so there's no reason to have to smuggle it out of that country should the Louwman Museum ever decide to sell it.

On the other hand, when the Schlump brothers defaulted on their taxes, France made their collection a 'national treasure', and never auctioned them off to recoup their back-taxes.

Craig

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

This is such a great thread.

Agreed..........here is a long lost car, that I chased down to a dead end. Published an article on it, and AJ's dad remembered a story told to him in the 50's. He put two and two together ..........and the dug it out of a barn after 50 years...........so, I can take ten percent credit for finding it.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Agreed..........here is a long lost car, that I chased down to a dead end. Published an article on it, and AJ's dad remembered a story told to him in the 50's. He put two and two together ..........and the dug it out of a barn after 50 years...........so, I can take ten percent credit for finding it.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Ed,  it is not like you to be nosing in on credit.  Hehehe.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Ed,  it is not like you to be nosing in on credit.  Hehehe.

I can't tell about some of the other great cars I have been involved in ..........this one is in the public view. This is the best one overall.........I get to drive it and you get to pay for it. 🤣      Hehehe.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

'31 P-A in 1969.jpg

This is the same color scheme my '31 Pierce phaeton had from new, khaki fenders and accents with dark green body.  The late Fred Tycher, who was somewhat of an authority on Pierce Arrows, looked at my car (when it was still this color scheme) and stated that "it was very Pierce-like, slightly subdued and not too flashy".  I'm just not a green car guy and never really liked the color.  Knowing the car was going to stay with me a long time (I bought it in 1985, after meeting it in 1966), I didn't hesitate to change color after an engine fire necessitated some re-restoration.  Fun thread to read...it's a big country and cars are still coming out of the woodwork, so to speak...

• Like 3

On 2/13/2021 at 9:53 PM, Graham Man said:

Voted the most beautiful car of all time.... 

image.thumb.png.76053462cad8fc830bb6af42d209dcaa.png

Wonder where they got their inspiration...

image.thumb.png.824dd304e4063c37cc3724289502e1f3.png

2.4 million in 2012

https://newatlas.com/the-worlds-best-known-cord-goes-under-the-hammer/21792/

There are some similarities in looks,  but I doubt Hermann Ahrens was stealing from Alexis de Sakhnoffsky but who knows.

The set back radiator,  swooping fenders and low windshield were all MB staples even before the Hayes coupe was built.

• Like 1

Spotted this today on PreWarCar.com and most likely of some relation given name and geography.

My guess is 1930 LaSalle  despite 1931 style hood doors.

A neatly dressed gentleman and his stylish PreWarCar, which we believe to be American. We received this photograph from Mr van den Assem. He has already done some research on the picture and made things a little easier for us.

We now know that the registration number P 26973 was issued in March 1936 to a Mr Johannes Baptista Ludovicus Cornelis Marinus, who was also known as Jan. At the time he lived in the Raashuisstraat 1 in Heerlen, the Netherlands. He worked for an oil company and was well-off. In August 1936, Jan Marinus left for the Dutch East Indies but unfortunately passed away in a Japanese internment camp on Bangka Island in July 1944.

39889-1613228907-1760745.thumb.jpg.348165c31b76959b1fe8d9f18fe0307a.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Spotted this today on PreWarCar.com and most likely of some relation given name and geography.

My guess is 1930 LaSalle  despite 1931 style hood doors.

A neatly dressed gentleman and his stylish PreWarCar, which we believe to be American. We received this photograph from Mr van den Assem. He has already done some research on the picture and made things a little easier for us.

We now know that the registration number P 26973 was issued in March 1936 to a Mr Johannes Baptista Ludovicus Cornelis Marinus, who was also known as Jan. At the time he lived in the Raashuisstraat 1 in Heerlen, the Netherlands. He worked for an oil company and was well-off. In August 1936, Jan Marinus left for the Dutch East Indies but unfortunately passed away in a Japanese internment camp on Bangka Island in July 1944.

39889-1613228907-1760745.thumb.jpg.348165c31b76959b1fe8d9f18fe0307a.jpg

That last sentence is depressing.   In the photo we have a successful business person sitting on his custom car,   less than 10 years later he will die in a hell hole half way around the world.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

That last sentence is depressing.   In the photo we have a successful business person sitting on his custom car,   less than 10 years later he will die in a hell hole half way around the world.

It's why the auto license plates of the day said.......... Remember Pearl Harbor.......... My uncle Al is 96 and blind now. He was there, and still goes to schools to teach the children about the real history of this country. You should hear him comment on the Bataan Death March. He doesn't have much use for the people who put him through all of that.......and justifiably so. He is one TOUGH SOB. Even to this day. Back in the 70's when he went back to Pearl they asked him if he wanted to meet some of the soldiers from the other side.........and he answered ........Only if I can do to them what they did to us............but in more coarse language.  With his family, he is the kindest and most gentle soul I have ever met. The contrast of the warrior and family man has always impressed me. After you have been through all of that, you don't take any sxxt from anyone. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

It's why the auto license plates of the day said.......... Remember Pearl Harbor.......... My uncle Al is 96 and blind now. He was there, and still goes to schools to teach the children about the real history of this country. You should hear him comment on the Bataan Death March. He doesn't have much use for the people who put him through all of that.......and justifiably so. He is one TOUGH SOB. Even to this day. Back in the 70's when he went back to Pearl they asked him if he wanted to meet some of the soldiers from the other side.........and he answered ........Only if I can do to them what they did to us............but in more coarse language.  With his family, he is the kindest and most gentle soul I have ever met. The contrast of the warrior and family man has always impressed me. After you have been through all of that, you don't take any sxxt from anyone. 

I handled business matters for a law firm that was 50% business related and 50% immigration (with crossover of clientele both directions) and the atrociousness that still occur on globe on a daily basis are staggering and often near unimaginable.  Max Hofferbert, the relative I often mention that owned my RRPI prior to me was half blown up in a tank in Germany (he spent a year in a hospital and then spent another year living with my great-grandparents and then another with my grandparents after that - it took a village for his recovery and he lived in pain every day - he had a vocabulary that would make a sailor blush and was equally pleased to talk with you or tell you off and if too out of line was happy to deck you too) - he spoke of what they found there upon arrival and said they had all had heard, but until you see it first hand you really cannot in your wildest dreams imagine. He did excavation for my great-grandparents and whoever else needed and then restored a car a year over the winter.   I guess when you have seen the worst of the worst in people ....

Sidenote:  Dad and I looked at a Delage and I had a french archivist friend research - conclusion was that car had been owned by a rather famous Jewish family that met their deaths and ....

On the flipside of the coin, advised another attorney on some legal work regarding Hermann Goering's Mercedes - it was just creepy with all its badges and ....

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)