trimacar

What are some of the great "missing" Classics, prewar American?

Just now, 1937hd45 said:

I can't help but notice that closed cars are now popular, and I guess it is ok to pour funds into their restorations. Bob 

Time makes all things come full circle. At the true top of the market, whether a car is open or closed doesn't influence price.......closed cars regularly sell for more than opens today, and that goes for pre and post war cars. Personally I like the fit, finish, and attention to detail seen on closed cars that you just don't find on the open cars. I am a particular fan of town cars......which today no one seems to appreciate, so with a bit of luck I should be able to find one that fits my budget.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 8:55 PM, K8096 said:

And here's one of the three 1934 Packard Twelve Dietrich convertible coupes at Dennison University, Ohio, 1957.  This one was battleship grey at the time.   

To K8096,

To you and all the bloggers, this thread is more fun then a treasure hunt for kids!  Throughly enjoying the photos and the history lessons.  

In regards to the photo that you posted of the 34 Dietrich conv coupe, would you happen to know who was the owner of the car back then and do you have any idea which one of the three that I am admiring?  Any chance you have more photos of this beauty?

Brian

Just had a few minutes this morning to look again. I found these 3 photos.  "Flea Market 1966". Does not say where. Check out the 06 Buick on the trailer. Looks like a Stoddard Dayton in the center of the third photo?

IMG_6117.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

Ed, attaching photo taken at Pebble Beach circa 1962.  I assume there is about a one in three chance that you are very familiar with this car!  

547963963_ScreenShot2018-11-19at6_31_20PM.png.2a1dc45b942aae25bf092493934045e0.png

Those photos are early........back when it was 95 percent brass that was being collected. Most everyone is wearing a hat. Back in the day when a V-16 Cadillac was listed as a tow car by the AACA. 

5 minutes ago, packard12man said:

Ed, attaching photo taken at Pebble Beach circa 1962.  I assume there is about a one in three chance that you are very familiar with this car!  

547963963_ScreenShot2018-11-19at6_31_20PM.png.2a1dc45b942aae25bf092493934045e0.png

Yes, very familiar with that one! It's my humble opinion the 1932 Full Custom Dietrich Sport Phaetons are the most beautiful open cars ever made.........the 33's are nice, but the open fender cars are where it's at for me. That is NOT a common photo, I I thought that the only copies were in my possession..........the driver in the car when this was taken in 1952 or 1953 if memory serves me, is alive and well......in his mid nineties. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Time makes all things come full circle.

I was noticing that many of the pictures are of cars 30 years old or newer at the time the picture was taken. They were expensive cars, but still depreciating in many instances. Like looking at attractive or expensive 1988 to 2003 cars today.

In the circle of things some might come around. But, for the moment, the current crop gets a "what are you doing that that used car?" The circle is called dogma in some groups.

In 1960 I was listening to those old mavins say "Don't waste your time on closed cars. Sonny." Twenty five and thirty year old sedans.

Bernie

1 hour ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Just had a few minutes this morning to look again. I found these 3 photos.  "Flea Market 1966". Does not say where. Check out the 06 Buick on the trailer. Looks like a Stoddard Dayton in the center of the third photo?

IMG_6117.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

Mercer raceabout is 1911 and is most likely #404 RA with engine number 177R. Not sure of location but perhaps Hawk Mountain in Pa.

Edited by A. Ballard 35R (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Hupp36 said:

Known as  a N.Y. city model, I  am still  working on finding the  original owners of  my  1927 Pierce Arrow Model 36  Enclosed Drive  Limo.

Limo Dilivered 035.JPG

I love that muted violet color of the headlight lenses. Do you ever mention the Tesla connection when you are at an auto show?

The cobalt in the crystal turns purple over time.  Great car. My best, Ed

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Yes, very familiar with that one! It's my humble opinion the 1932 Full Custom Dietrich Sport Phaetons are the most beautiful open cars ever made.........the 33's are nice, but the open fender cars are where it's at for me. That is NOT a common photo, I I thought that the only copies were in my possession..........the driver in the car when this was taken in 1952 or 1953 if memory serves me, is alive and well......in his mid nineties. 

I agree that the 32 Packard 12 Dietrich Phaeton was as good as an automobile ever got. Simply beautiful. 

The 1932 Custom Dietrich Sport Pheaton is quite simply the best open car ever designed and built in the US. There are only three of them, all in long term collections. They are also fantastic drivers. All of these comments coming from a Pierce Arrow guy. I will admit to having spent some time behind the wheel on one in the past........a life changing experience. My most enjoyable moment was in Palm Beach having breakfast several years ago at 6am. A very low key gentleman came up to me and said Dietrich sure did a great job on that design......interestingly he didn’t own any collector cars. It was fun to enjoy a car that someone off the street truly understood.

2 hours ago, jeff_a said:

I love that muted violet color of the headlight lenses. Do you ever mention the Tesla connection when you are at an auto show?

I  guess  I have  not  mentioned  that  because so  busy showing  the  hand  stitched decor and  18  carat gold  trim on  all the  metal in the  rear  compartment  where  the  owners ride. The  stitching on  the  door  trim  was  hand  done  1  stitch  at  a time. The pattern on the  rear  seat  cushion was reproduced like the  original in the sales  brochure which is  not  here  at  this  time.

Limo 014.JPG

Limo 013.JPG

Limo 016.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The cobalt in the crystal turns purple over time.

It's the result of long term UV effect on the MANGANESE in the glass (not crystal) B&L lenses used 1921-28, according to Bernie Weis.

1932 Chrysler Custom Imperial CL dual windshield phaeton by LeBaron. Lost car, last seen in rough neighborhood, NYC

zeraCL1047.jpg.a70d85797d36b0f3e11c4618dfaf2d7f.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grimy said:

It's the result of long term UV effect on the MANGANESE in the glass (not crystal) B&L lenses used 1921-28, according to Bernie Weis.

George, I looked it up, you are correct.......having another senior moment. That package should be ready for pick up in the next week or so. Thanks! Ed

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Speaking of Dupont.  This car did survive.

I don't know how people read the forum.  I use the "unread content" button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  That gives you a list of topics with new posts across all the forums.   That way I can see everything. 

I mention this because I have a feeling that some of us just look in certain sub forums and not the everywhere and miss stuff.    There is a Dupont thread down in the CCCA General that has lots of pictures of this Waterhouse bodied Dupont.

The Three Ameigos! The one on the left is Steve Martin. That makes the on on the right Chevy Chase, so you my friend, the one in the middle, MUST be Martin Short. It was a fun day, although seconed in class wasn't our intention! I think I shall  take it for a ride today. Once in  a while I need a Packard road test.......makes me appreciate my Pierce Arrow's more! 😂

Lots of people keep asking what we are taking to Pebble next year. Here is a photo of what I have currently in mind............(Yes! It's my car.)

IMG_3263.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Lots of people keep asking what we are taking to Pebble next year. Here is a photo of what I have currently in mind............(Yes! It's my car.)

Did you ever drive that when you were a really big boy?

• Haha 1

I wonder if anyone can ID where these amazing cars are today. 29 Mercedes, 26 Bugatti, 31 Lancia, 33 Cadillac roadster, that must be rare, 27 Packard, 14 Mercer. Photos just have a date on back. 1964. These were all taken by my uncle. Check out the last blurry photo of a 1907 Rover taken in 1955. I will scan that one into the computer for a clear view. Also found a photo of a 1924 Lewis being hauled into a scrapyard dated 1942 by what looks like an early 30s Nash converted into a tow truck but the photo is falling apart as I try to remove it from the book. Anyone ever see a Lewis automobile before? 

IMG_6119.JPG

IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG

IMG_6123.JPG

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Did you ever drive that when you were a really big boy?

Nope...........but for the cost of a tune up on your BIG BOY TOY I bought the car!