Fraud?

Aranmore

I am following-up on the 1937 115-C offered earlier this year that elicited some comment, black with red two-tone interior. I have seen this same car advertised on three separate websites recently by three different owners for various prices. I've been looking for one (my grandfather was Alvan Macauley) and I came across this the other day offered by a 'Richard Schaeffer' for $27K. He said we worked overseas and the car was in Eugene, Oregon in a container ready for shipment, etc. Claimed it was his sick father's and he was handling the sale. When I asked for details like the name of the shipper, I never heard back.  Does this car actually exist? So friends a cautionary tale.

Hi, I had no real doubts that this was a scam ...the price alone suggested that, but it's good to have someone else confirm they've seen this car shopped around too.  Reminds me of the 'Nigerian scam' that was raging a few years ago. Should you (or anyone else on this forum) know of someone with a 'project' '37 115C, please let me know. Thanks all.

The first ad (Trovit) I saw had the car in Bad Axe, Michigan. The guy who posted the ad (a 'Charles Schaeffer') I queried then said it was in Eugene, Oregon. Just now on TopClassicsale.com the same car is 'located' in Dallas, Texas priced now @59K not $27K. That's one scootin' Packard!

The car is mine.  I am David Flack in Dallas.  I pulled the car off the market this summer when it got advertised by scammers...too much confusion when my ads were live.  I was just thinking about re-listing the car on the market and am surprised that the scam ads just won't seem to die.  Disgusting.  I've never advertised on TopClassics.   The car is in my garage.  Come see and drive it.   I am known in the Packard community....if you are looking for this car, please contact me.   

Edited by flackmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks David. You've cleared-up the mystery. Glad to know the car has a legitimate owner and is the real deal. It's a beautiful '37. I have a photo of my grandfather, Alvan Macauley, sitting in one! I'm in northern California. Best wishes for placing the car with someone who will value it as it deserves. Jon

On 12/8/2018 at 5:54 AM, Aranmore said:

I am following-up on the 1937 115-C offered earlier this year that elicited some comment, black with red two-tone interior. I have seen this same car advertised on three separate websites recently by three different owners for various prices. I've been looking for one (my grandfather was Alvan Macauley) and I came across this the other day offered by a 'Richard Schaeffer' for $27K. He said we worked overseas and the car was in Eugene, Oregon in a container ready for shipment, etc. Claimed it was his sick father's and he was handling the sale. When I asked for details like the name of the shipper, I never heard back.  Does this car actually exist? So friends a cautionary tale.

Assuming Alvan Macauley was really your grandfather -- I mean, we have no reason to doubt you, but it seems only keeping with the spirit of this thread to be skeptical -- welcome to the Packard forum!  :)  Very cool that a Macauley descendant would pay a visit.